Article - Carmine dishes on getting fired from Ozzy's band.

I know Sharon gets a lot of flack rom fans for how she's treated various members of Ozzy's band over the years, but it's also clear every move had a reason behind it, as Ozzy's career has been very long and successful.
Ozzy would have had just as long of a career without Sharon messing over Lee Kerslake and Bob Daisly.

Ozzy would have had just as long of a career without Sharon messing over Lee Kerslake and Bob Daisly.
I think it's pretty obvious Ozzy just didn't get along with Kerslake all that well.

Diasly, of course, is a key person Ozzy's career. But I don't know how much he really got screwed over given he went back to Ozzy over and over and over again. He's on 5 of Ozzy's first 6 solo albums. If Sharon really was that bad to him, why did he continue to go back time after time?

I finally read the article.

…met with Ozzy and Sharon, and everything was great. They said, ‘We’d love for you to play with us.’ I said ‘what happened to Tommy Aldridge [now known as the longtime drummer of Whitesnake — who recorded the drum parts on 1983’s Bark at the Moon.]?’ They said, ‘We’re doing the Bark at the Moon record, and his tempo’s terrible. We want you to go to the studio to help Tommy Aldridge‘s drum sound.’
I saw Alridge with Pat Travers several times and there’s no way he failed the studio test. The guy’s pocket is a canyon full of superglue.

Who does Appice think he’s talking to? A thirteen year-old cross-stitcher? FAIL.

Well, that goes to my point.

The fact is, technically, Ozzy's not a great singer. The selling point is his aura, the overall vibe, and the perceived larger than life personality that comes through the music.

Hence why I think Sharon is always making changes to his backing band, to keep up the aura and vibe up and prevent it from going to stale as the musical landscape changes.
I like Ozzy - but I’m not a huge fan where I have his records - he’s still kinda like radio background music to me. So for me, the Joe Lunchbox listener, I’m not sure the musical landscape changes that much for Ozzy. If I hear early Sabbath or Ozzy’s latest on the radio, it doesn’t sound any different to me. Which leads me to conclude that Ozzy is his own musical landscape. He doesn’t need to be a better singer, and it doesn’t matter who his backing band is. It is what it is - and people keep buying it. That’s what makes him cool.

Does anyone know what really went on with Bill Ward when Sabbath started on their last album 13 ?

Who would've ever guessed that Ozzy would outlive Dio? Or anyone he played with for that matter.
I can take or leave Ozzy, was never a big fan. His show managed to make Gene Simmons look quasi-decent.

Does anyone know what really went on with Bill Ward when Sabbath started on their last album 13 ?
I don't think anyone will ever fully know, as the stores seem to contradict each other.

Ward says it was about money. Which is possible. Sharon is shrewd, and it wouldn't the first time a major band had tried to make a founding member be a less than an equal member (see Van Halen and Micheal Anthony , The Eagles and everyone not named Don Honey or Glenn Frey)

Ozzy says Ward health problems lead to Ward struggling with the ability to play. This is also highly possible given Ward had surgery in 2013 and 2014 and then was hospitalized in 2017 for heart problems.

The whole thing is just sad because neither side wants to be honest and open about it.

Ward keeps insisting he can do the job, but his public record of being in and out of the hospital says otherwise. It's quite clear if Sabbath had let Ward participate, the album and tour would be been delayed numerous times, and either the album/tour wouldn't have happened, or they would have ended up replacing Ward anyway to carry on.

Further evidence is when Iommi and Butler reunited with Dio for Heaven and Hell, Ward wasn't even invited, nor did he ever raise a peep about not being invited to join a band named after an alum he was on.

So even though publically, it's been Ward vs Ozzy in the press, I think Iommi and Butler were already doubtful of Ward's ability to contribute.

Maybe Sabbath offered Ward less money because they knew he wouldn't be able to hang, and wanted to hold back a percentage to pay for an inevitable substitute drummer, maybe they did it because they wanted Ward to decline and avoid having to tell him he really wasn't invited. Or maybe it was just a giant clash of egos.

It's also clear Rick Rubin was in charge of 13, as bringing in Brad Wilk was his call, as opposed to bringing in Tommy Clufetos or Vinny Appice or someone else who had ties to Ozzy or Sabbath.

I emailed Tommy once & said the usual complimentary stuff. I went on to say he was very influential in the same way Gadd or Bonzo were to a lot of people. He replied & thanked me but was so genuinely self depreciating. Humble is not the right word. When I met him at a clinic, same thing. Polar opposite of Carmine & his me train. Tommy, despite suffering through Ozzy & Sharon, would say he was there to play with Randy.

Carmine is a great drummer of his era & played with some great bands and influenced a lot of people. He is entitled to his opinion as am I. That said, I would take Bonzo, Tommy, Cozy & his brother Vinnie way before I took Carmine.
I've had the great pleasure to work with Tommy many times. I've teched for him at clinics and hung out many times(the time he made me a sandwich is one of the highlights for me). He's one of the nicest, most genuine guys you could meet. his time is rock solid and grooves hard. And as hard as he plays, at the end of a clinic there are no dents in the heads. He's got a book full of stories from the Ozzy days. Fun fact, he was best man at Ozzy and Sharon's wedding.

I don't think anyone will ever fully know, as the stores seem to contradict each other.

Ward says it was about money. Which is possible. Sharon is shrewd, and it wouldn't the first time a major band had tried to make a founding member be a less than an equal member (see Van Halen and Micheal Anthony , The Eagles and everyone not named Don Honey or Glenn Frey)

Ozzy says Ward health problems lead to Ward struggling with the ability to play. This is also highly possible given Ward had surgery in 2013 and 2014 and then was hospitalized in 2017 for heart problems.

The whole thing is just sad because neither side wants to be honest and open about it.

Ward keeps insisting he can do the job, but his public record of being in and out of the hospital says otherwise. It's quite clear if Sabbath had let Ward participate, the album and tour would be been delayed numerous times, and either the album/tour wouldn't have happened, or they would have ended up replacing Ward anyway to carry on.

Further evidence is when Iommi and Butler reunited with Dio for Heaven and Hell, Ward wasn't even invited, nor did he ever raise a peep about not being invited to join a band named after an alum he was on.

So even though publically, it's been Ward vs Ozzy in the press, I think Iommi and Butler were already doubtful of Ward's ability to contribute.

Maybe Sabbath offered Ward less money because they knew he wouldn't be able to hang, and wanted to hold back a percentage to pay for an inevitable substitute drummer, maybe they did it because they wanted Ward to decline and avoid having to tell him he really wasn't invited. Or maybe it was just a giant clash of egos.

It's also clear Rick Rubin was in charge of 13, as bringing in Brad Wilk was his call, as opposed to bringing in Tommy Clufetos or Vinny Appice or someone else who had ties to Ozzy or Sabbath.

I think it was in Dean Delrays "let there be talk" podcast with Brad Wilk that Brad basically said about this situation that "a global tour is a lot of organising and money and you cant risk having someone with health problems because you won't get insurance etc"

Last edited:
This was allegedly part of the problem- https://bobdaisley.com/news/truth-needs-be-known

https://blabbermouth.herokuapp.com/...d-fk-slam-fans-are-aware-of-the-actual-truth/

And, another tipping point was when The Osbournes had Daisley's bass parts re-recorded. Whenever you hear those tracks these days, Bark At The Moon, Crazy Train, etc. you're not hearing Bob Daisley, you're hearing Robert Trujillo.

http://rockandrollgarage.com/rob-trujillo-recalls-re-recording-bob-daisleys-bass-for-ozzy-osbourne/

I think it's pretty obvious Ozzy just didn't get along with Kerslake all that well.

Diasly, of course, is a key person Ozzy's career. But I don't know how much he really got screwed over given he went back to Ozzy over and over and over again. He's on 5 of Ozzy's first 6 solo albums. If Sharon really was that bad to him, why did he continue to go back time after time?

I think Black Sabbath's strength is they lasted long enough they actually gained in popularity from their initial cult following. Ozzie becoming a TV star seemed to help-who doesn't enjoy him staggering around.
Me. I saw Ozzy on March 17, 1982 during the Diary of a Madman tour (2 days before Randy Rhoads died).
Ozzy not only staggered around the stage, he didn’t know the lyrics and fumbled his way through the concert. I was embarrassed for him and the band.

Yeah, the war of words between Bob Daisley and Sharon through the press have been going on for decades, and there are a million videos and articles on it.

But they all leave out pertinent facts:

Yes, Bob Daisley was fired shortly after recording "Diary of a Madman" at the end of 1981

But what's left out is he came back in 1983 during the tour to promote the "Speak at the Devil" album, He's clearly seen on the videos from the US festival. Bob then stayed and wrote and recorded on the entire Bark at the Moon album and tour. He is in the Bark at the Moon video. (there is a youtube interview with Jake E Lee discussing how Bob came back to the band on the day of the US Festival and they went on stage together without a rehearsal).

Bob then stayed on to help write and record The Ultimate Sin, but quit (or was fired) when making the album.

Bob then came back to write and record "No Rest For The Wicked" but again quit/fired after the recording was done, and Geezer Butler appears on all the videos and tour.

Bob then came back again to write and record "No More Tears" yet the album sleeve has a photo of Mike Inez. In the credits, Inez is listed as the bass player and musical inspiration, but the fine print says all bass parts played by Bob Daisley.

The old expression is "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

If Ozzy and Sharon are such terrible people who ripped him off, why did Bob Daisley go back over and over again?
Is he just a glutton for abuse? Why would he continue to write and record for an artist he felt like was ripping him off?
Clearly, he got paid enough to want to come back and do it again, and again and again.

Hence why I think Bob Daisley's claims just don't add up. He knew what he was getting into after the 1st time he was fired. And the 2nd time he was fired, and the 3rd time he was fired. Yet he always went back and wrote & recorded more songs. And Bob has lost every lawsuit he's ever filed against Ozzy.

Now, I will say it's absolutely criminal Ozzy and Sharon don't admit the enormous impact Bob Daisley has had on Ozzy's career.

Sure, they can argue over the money and legalities, but the fact was Bob is all those albums as a player and songwriter that made Ozzy's solo career what was.

And, another tipping point was when The Osbournes had Daisley's bass parts re-recorded. Whenever you hear those tracks these days, Bark At The Moon, Crazy Train, etc. you're not hearing Bob Daisley, you're hearing Robert Trujillo.

http://rockandrollgarage.com/rob-trujillo-recalls-re-recording-bob-daisleys-bass-for-ozzy-osbourne/

Just to clarify, Bark at the Moon was never re-recorded, only the 1st two solo albums were re-recorded. And it's only the 2002 re-issue editions of the two albums that have the re-recorded tracks, Subsequently, the 30th-anniversary issue edition as the original bass and drums put back.

Chances are if you hear "Crazy Train" on the radio, it's likely you are hearing Bob.

I think it was in Dean Delrays "let there be talk" podcast with Brad Wilk that Brad basically said about this situation that "a global tour is a lot of organising and money and you cant risk having someone with health problems because you won't get insurance etc"
For me, as a big fan of the Ozzy -era Sabbath, it is just sad that they could not come to some agreement. I saw them on the reunion tour in Boston, and Ward played very well and with a lot of energy. I read somewhere that the band retained Vinny Appice as a backup, but never had to use him.
regarding the “Heaven and Hell” tour- I saw them at the Mohegan Sun in CT, and they were also very good.
it made sense to have Vinny Appice on that tour, since he is much more associated with the Dio era Sabbath than Ward, even though Ward did play on the studio album Heaven and Hell.
Side note relevant to the original topic is that Sharon would not let Tony Iommi tour with the Dio lineup and use Black Sabbath as the band name. If he did, there would be no 13 and subsequent tour, so they toured as the name of album Heaven and Hell.

Back