Peter Erskine's New Signature Jazz Snare Drum

Sounds good, hopefully they keep it affordable. The aux 10x6 at ~$1100...that's pretty crazy.
I'm just watching this stream of his right now, showcasing his new snare. He said he wanted the price to be much lower to get it in the hands of many more people than his Aux snare. Also, the drum is made in Japan and has the same bearing edges as the Star series snares.

58000,00 JPY. So about 508 USD

Nice snare! Is it just me or is the snare butt end mount installed upside down? The mount footprint has a third lobe that would better serve stability if installed in the direction of the snare tension forces.

Attachments

• Tama_PeterErskine_Snare_butt_plate.png
    Tama_PeterErskine_Snare_butt_plate.png
    930.5 KB · Views: 14
A beautiful snare both sonically and visually. Erskine is right about the drum's ability to "spin on a dime." Shallower snares (i.e., 5.5" and smaller) can do it all, taking both low and high tunings quite well and supplying sensitivity and articulation throughout. Deeper shells have always seemed less adaptable to me. Though they add body to higher tunings, they can be wild and without focus at lower ones, and the extra space between the batter head and resonant head alters the feel of the drum in a way that doesn't meet my approval. This is why I play nothing deeper than 5.5".

A beautiful snare both sonically and visually. Erskine is right about the drum's ability to "spin on a dime." Shallower snares (i.e., 5.5" and smaller) can do it all, taking both low and high tunings quite well and supplying sensitivity and articulation throughout. Deeper shells have always seemed less adaptable to me. Though they add body to higher tunings, they can be wild and without focus at lower ones, and the extra space between the batter head and resonant head alters the feel of the drum in a way that doesn't meet my approval. This is why I play nothing deeper than 5.5".
Play a Starphonic and you will reconsider your opinion on deeper snaredrums.

Play a Starphonic and you will reconsider your opinion on deeper snaredrums.

Impossible. It doesn't have a Pearl badge. :)

But really, I'm quite happy with a 5" or 5.5". I'm not trying to discourage anyone else from going deeper. I know players who won't go near anything under 6.5". It's a matter of taste, not ethics.

Last edited:
Of course, in general, 5 inch deep snaredrums are more responsive and sensitive than a 6 inch deep snaredrum, but in the end it really depends on how the snare is built. I have encountered sluggish 5" snaredrums and super-responsive 6.5" snaredrums. The Starphonics e.g. are so ridiculously good that they even work - with a more complex strainer - as philharmonic snaredrums (Bravura) - which tells a lot about the extraordinary characteristics of those snaredrums.

14x4.5" Maple/Spruce hybrid. 6mm shell. 4 ply Spruce with 2 inner ply of Maple.

interesting. ?

“…w/ Sound Focus Ring only for batter side (Same configuration : 6mm, 4ply Spruce + 2 inner ply Maple)”

feat_PE1445_Shell.jpg

I have a variety of depths on my snares... 13x7 brass, 13x5 bubinga, 14x6 cocobolo, and we're currently thinking about doing a 14x4 nickel over copper!!

The aux 10x6 at ~$1100...that's pretty crazy.
I had the SLP birch 10” popcorn snare and like its sound but it was weak under louder playing conditions. Then I heard that signature snare with stave construction and it’s got the beef. And the price! Just too much for an aux snare.

The Erskine snare is that good .
I hope so. Erskine appeared to be very picky/finicky/particular about the gear on the Tama videos in which he promoted his yellow Star kit and his signature popcorn snare (which I wanted until I saw the $1100 price tag).

I hope so. Erskine appeared to be very picky/finicky/particular about the gear on the Tama videos in which he promoted his yellow Star kit and his signature popcorn snare (which I wanted until I saw the $1100 price tag).
DCP had a George Way kit owned by Peter in his transition from DW to Tama in the old store. I recall the gold trim diecast rims.

Back