Karen Carpenter

At a former job, a co-worker and I would always pick on each other.
Eventually, after several back and forths between us, I would always "finish" by singing to her:
"On the day that you were born the angels got together
And decided to create a dream come true
So they sprinkled gold dust in your hair of gold
And starlight in your eyes of blue"

For the rest of the day:
"Damn it, Bob! You got that song stuck in my head AGAIN!"

Wait, when you say knew do you mean you knew her personally or knew her as a fan?
I was born in the 70s. I was familiar with her singing, but didnt know she also was a drummer until I was like 20. I never knew her personally. Sorry for the confusion.

She wasn't in a big rock band at the time so her exposure was limited. Ed Sullivan decided she and her brother desrved the same visibility as the Beatles and had them on his show. The music was middle of the road, which I'm sure, limited her visibility.

Great drummer, massively underrated.

Talented lady all round really. Shame she wasn’t with us longer.

Bonham though, I guess he was just as guilty of sometimes talking nonsense as everyone else. I’m not much of a fan of stroking your own ego (whilst in a privileged position) by bashing someone else.

Last edited:
@jimb Not sure, chicken/egg scenario.
But I do know that all of the suicides I personally knew were "Happy, Great, No Problems", until they were dead...sometimes the next day.

TALK TO EACH OTHER, PEOPLE!

She did look extatically happy while drumming though.

The drummer playing behing Miss Carpenter? Pretty sure that's former Mouseketeer Cubby O'Brien.

This performance says it all right here. Wait till they get to Johnny B. Goode. Holy smokes! Watch it until the end.

I think she easily could have played drums on all The Carpenters albums, but I suppose the producers wanted to use Hal Blaine since he was the drum guy of the day, they knew he could nail it, and I suppose so Karen could focus on her magical vocals. But honestly I'm not sure why she didn't play on the albums, or if she even wanted to? Anyone know why?

Last edited:
I think she easily could have played drums on all The Carpenters albums, but I suppose the producers wanted to use Hal Blaine since he was the drum guy of the day, they knew he could nail it, and I suppose so Karen could focus on her magical vocals. But honestly I'm not sure why she didn't play on the albums, or if she even wanted to? Anyone know why?
I think it was an economic decision. She could have done it, but Hal could do it faster.

Back