Ludwig 1970s 3 ply WMP

Keegan Hammond

Hello, I'm about to purchase a 70s 3-ply WMP kit in my area, sizes 12,13,16,18,22. All shells and hoops are round, what do you guys think a reasonable price would be for the kit as described in 7.5/10 condition?

It depends on the wrap. I imagine the shells are in good shape. WMP wrap is notorious for yellowing. How bad is it? You can ask the seller to remove a lug on the top of the bass drum to tell. Also, wrap seams lifting is common to Ludwig. Assuming the wrap is in good condition, and the fact that this is a big time buyers market right now, I would say $1,500 or so is fair. Any other issues and the price drops considerably. This would be wrap issues, extra holes, aftermarket (non factory) parts, missing badges etc.

Just to use as a guide, I have a Ludwig Keystone Era 1966 Super Classic in Blue Sparkle (13/16/22) in excellent condition, no extra holes, no wrap issues, all original parts and I even have the original "Naughahyde" bags for all the drums. I have them priced at $1,300 (which I think is very fair considering condition and originality, and that they are 60's Keystones) and I haven't had any interest. 5-10 years ago, I bet I would have sold them in less than week.

Any chance we can get pictures?

We can only give you a ballpark without them. There's a chance we will notice something that you may not, for better or worse.

I have them priced at $1,300 (which I think is very fair considering condition and originality, and that they are 60's Keystones) and I haven't had any interest. 5-10 years ago, I bet I would have sold them in less than week.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity....

If someone offered you $1000, what would you ultimately say/think/do?

I would say $1,500 or so is fair. Any other issues and the price drops considerably. This would be wrap issues, extra holes, aftermarket (non factory) parts, missing badges etc.

Just to use as a guide, I have a Ludwig Keystone Era 1966 Super Classic in Blue Sparkle (13/16/22) in excellent condition, no extra holes, no wrap issues, all original parts and I even have the original "Naughahyde" bags for all the drums. I have them priced at $1,300 (which I think is very fair considering condition and originality, and that they are 60's Keystones) and I haven't had any interest. 5-10 years ago, I bet I would have sold them in less than week.
Yes ... it is indeed a buyers market. The 18x16 floor tom is the only thing that sets this kit apart. 22, 12, 13, 16 kits ..... you see them all the time. So .... I concur with Vyacheslav ..... $1500, around there.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Definitely some great information for a new member of the vintage Ludwig scene. I ended up purchasing the kit for $2000 CAD ($1585 USD at the time). A little more than some of you had given for a recommended price range, but i live in an area where there a vintage Ludwig kit for sale is hard to come by, so I didn’t mind paying a little extra for that premium. I’m totally satisfied with the purchase however, they sound huge and warm. 455C9880-6CB4-4BFD-871D-392891735ED8.jpeg455C9880-6CB4-4BFD-871D-392891735ED8.jpeg4D15BAEA-F918-4E8B-835A-54E2B1062413.jpegF4D3AA90-86FC-4E73-A7FE-FC1966C9CD14.jpeg488F5CEF-48A9-4D2E-8E1D-F15109AF7258.jpeg455C9880-6CB4-4BFD-871D-392891735ED8.jpeg4D15BAEA-F918-4E8B-835A-54E2B1062413.jpegF4D3AA90-86FC-4E73-A7FE-FC1966C9CD14.jpeg488F5CEF-48A9-4D2E-8E1D-F15109AF7258.jpeg

You could unyellow the wrap for like 30 dollars with 10% peroxide gel and sunlight.

It will make it look brand new, no exaggeration

You could unyellow the wrap for like 30 dollars with 10% peroxide gel and sunlight.

It will make it look brand new, no exaggeration

Yep! Beauty here is the kit is in fantastic condition for its age.

I'd get rid of those pinstripes too but that's just me!

OP you've bagged a great kit, cherish her!

Congrats on the purchase. Those look to be in very good condition. I would take "Uncle Larry's" suggestion on using his recipe for un-yellowing that wrap but the nicotine WMP gives it the appropriate vintage look.

And to top it all off it seems like you dodged the dreaded "riveted wrap seam" era too.

What's with the riveted wrap seam? Was Miss Ann there for that? It's total overkill, and the seam (and badge) placement is opposite of what should have been done.
I didn't manage to dodge that era, but I love the drums regardless.

Wow, beautiful drum kit. Congratulations. I'm sure they look and sound better with single ply coated heads on the toms ;)

That's an excellent and fair price!!!

It depends on the wrap. I imagine the shells are in good shape. WMP wrap is notorious for yellowing. How bad is it? You can ask the seller to remove a lug on the top of the bass drum to tell. Also, wrap seams lifting is common to Ludwig. Assuming the wrap is in good condition, and the fact that this is a big time buyers market right now, I would say $1,500 or so is fair. Any other issues and the price drops considerably. This would be wrap issues, extra holes, aftermarket (non factory) parts, missing badges etc.

And to top it all off it seems like you dodged the dreaded "riveted wrap seam" era too.
What's with the riveted wrap seam?
Late 70's/early 80's .... Ludwig wrap ..... most accounts date this around '79 .... and buy '84 it was over. Buyers had started returning drums because the wrap was SHRINKING. Some drums were returned two or three times. So Ludwig's answer was to rivet the wrap seam to the shell. Problem was ..... that wasn't a cure. The wrap still shrunk ..... and now you had rivets and rivet holes as well. Ludwig switched from 3 ply to 6 ply shells in '76, so I don't think any 3 ply shells (drums OP has) were ever riveted.

Back