Show us your Four Piece Kits.

Yeah. I actually started off right "open" handed 15 years ago, but later realized stuff never felt natural in regards to playing cymbals and toms on the right side via shifting hands.

Switching over to a left handed setup felt right at home and stuff legitimately started to make sense. The only real issue was footwork and I'd argue I still struggle to this day. But its a price I'm willing to pay for everything else clicking with ease.

Might end up buying a double pedal with a solid transfer link and figuring out something that way via aux hats. Havent played a double pedal in 10 years.

Yeah. I actually started off right "open" handed 15 years ago, but later realized stuff never felt natural in regards to playing cymbals and toms on the right side via shifting hands.

Switching over to a left handed setup felt right at home and stuff legitimately started to make sense. The only real issue was footwork and I'd argue I still struggle to this day. But its a price I'm willing to pay for everything else clicking with ease.

Might end up buying a double pedal with a solid transfer link and figuring out something that way via aux hats. Havent played a double pedal in 10 years.
Interesting. So many interesting paths that lefties take when they start. I wonder if more lefties give up than righties in the early days of playing. I started 'pure' lefty from the get go but it's always a pain when playing gigs with a shared kit. For me, there is no way around swapping the hihat/snare with the floor tom/ride and playing the rack toms backwards. Happened to me shortly before COVID for a thrash metal gig.

Interesting. So many interesting paths that lefties take when they start. I wonder if more lefties give up than righties in the early days of playing. I started 'pure' lefty from the get go but it's always a pain when playing gigs with a shared kit. For me, there is no way around swapping the hihat/snare with the floor tom/ride and playing the rack toms backwards. Happened to me shortly before COVID for a thrash metal gig.

I think certain left handed people can learn and be trained to play like a right handed player in the traditional cross over hi hat sense, but I think these people limit their skill set at the same time. For me, It just never felt right after hours of playing and practice...

The only struggle I had to endure on a left handed kit was foot orientation and my brain not wanting to adapt. Cymbal positioning and leading left with tom fills makes SO much more sense than on a RH kit.

It's the same case with me for PC gaming back in the mid to late 2000s playing games like counterstrike 1.6... I actually converted over to left hand mouse and never looked back... everything just clicked.. (literally).

So I guess I'm more of a natural "lefty" relative to those that are more ambidextrous. I never thought or intended to play on a left handed kit, but I'm glad I switched over before it was too late. Drumming is way more enjoyable this way.

I can play a right handed kit in a sense that everything would have to be positioned left of the bass drum (inc cymbals). Weird setup :p

I think certain left handed people can learn and be trained to play like a right handed player in the traditional cross over hi hat sense, but I think these people limit their skill set at the same time. For me, It just never felt right after hours of playing and practice...

The only struggle I had to endure on a left handed kit was foot orientation and my brain not wanting to adapt. Cymbal positioning and leading left with tom fills makes SO much more sense than on a RH kit.

It's the same case with me for PC gaming back in the mid to late 2000s playing games like counterstrike 1.6... I actually converted over to left hand mouse and never looked back... everything just clicked.. (literally).

So I guess I'm more of a natural "lefty" relative to those that are more ambidextrous. I never thought or intended to play on a left handed kit, but I'm glad I switched over before it was too late. Drumming is way more enjoyable this way.

I can play a right handed kit in a sense that everything would have to be positioned left of the bass drum (incl. cymbals). Weird setup :p
I read a newspaper article in the late 1980's that stated left handed people are left handed because the two hemisphere's of the brain are not as clearly defined as they are in right handed people.
The command starts off as "move right hand", but then crosses over to the other side of the brain and you end up moving your left hand.
Basically, left handed people use their whole brain to do the things that right handed people do with half their brain.
At the time the article was written, 28% of the world's population was left handed.

As for playing left footed on the kit, for me, it was completely accidental.
I picked up the drums after I got out of school, so there as no one to show me how.
I put together my first kit using a picture of a drumkit I had on a shirt I got at a concert.
The problem was, the picture showed the front of the kit. I was standing behind the kit when I put it together, so I setup everything the complete opposite.
Took me about a week to realize what I had done and I did try to flip everything around and play right handed, but I had already acclimated to playing lefty and the right footed setup just didn't work for me....and so, the die was cast.

...another one of my kits....

DSCN3017.jpg

I read a newspaper article in the late 1980's that stated left handed people are left handed because the two hemisphere's of the brain are not as clearly defined as they are in right handed people.
The command starts off as "move right hand", but then crosses over to the other side of the brain and you end up moving your left hand.
Basically, left handed people use their whole brain to do the things that right handed people do with half their brain.
At the time the article was written, 28% of the world's population was left handed.

As for playing left footed on the kit, for me, it was completely accidental.
I picked up the drums after I got out of school, so there as no one to show me how.
I put together my first kit using a picture of a drumkit I had on a shirt I got at a concert.
The problem was, the picture showed the front of the kit. I was standing behind the kit when I put it together, so I setup everything the complete opposite.
Took me about a week to realize what I had done and I did try to flip everything around and play right handed, but I had already acclimated to playing lefty and the right footed setup just didn't work for me....and so, the die was cast.

...another one of my kits....

I would argue that it depends on the person itself. There's likely a degree of variance between different "left handed" people.

I also think there's a level of dedication required to swap and I do know left handed (writing) people that cannot play on a left handed kits at all and think its impossible.

I mean even for me, It was just waking up and deciding "Hmm maybe I should play left handed", but took a few months of training and figuring things out, but If I were to go back to a "right hand" kit... it still feels VERY unnatural.... So dedicating the time certainly worked out to my advantage. Same argument for switching hands on a computer mouse. Def took a good 3 months there as well!

I think there is justification if you are left handed and feel like you've hit a wall in your playing. :) There's Left handed people like Stewart Copeland that are complete geniuses behind a right handed kit, so it def impacts people differently. My 2c.

Also nice kit!

Here's another from when I got the kit and moved it to a different location. Was on my phone.

Last edited:
I would argue that it depends on the person itself. There's likely a degree of variance between different "left handed" people.

I also think there's a level of dedication required to swap and I do know left handed (writing) people that cannot play on a left handed kits at all and think its impossible.

I mean even for me, It was just waking up and deciding "Hmm maybe I should play left handed", but took a few months of training and figuring things out, but If I were to go back to a "right hand" kit... it still feels VERY unnatural.... So dedicating the time certainly worked out to my advantage. Same argument for switching hands on a computer mouse. Def took a good 3 months there as well!

I think there is justification if you are left handed and feel like you've hit a wall in your playing. :) There's Left handed people like Stewart Copeland that are complete geniuses behind a right handed kit, so it def impacts people differently. My 2c.

Also nice kit!

Here's another from when I got the kit and moved it to a different location. Was on my phone.

Yes! Love that kit. I could sit down and play it just like that all day.

My Sonor Bop SE with Dream cymbals (15" hats, 22" gorilla ride):

IMG_3700.JPG

For an inexpensive poplar kit, the 12" & 14" toms sound incredible with Evans G1s on them. Beautiful tone, amazing sustain.

My Sonor Bop SE with Dream cymbals (15" hats, 22" gorilla ride):

View attachment 100772

For an inexpensive poplar kit, the 12" & 14" toms sound incredible with Evans G1s on them. Beautiful tone, amazing sustain.

I have the same kit, same finish. I recently upgraded the hoops to 2.3mm Gibraltar hoops. They’re a bit nicer finish and they seem to make tuning easier. It‘s a great sounding kit, as you mentioned.

I recently upgraded the hoops to 2.3mm Gibraltar hoops.

I put Gibraltar hoops on the snare. But the toms sound so good with the stock 1.6 mm hoops I haven't changed them yet. I don't want to mess with a good sound! I'm not a heavy hitter so it seems to work fine as is for now.

I put Gibraltar hoops on the snare. But the toms sound so good with the stock 1.6 mm hoops I haven't changed them yet. I don't want to mess with a good sound! I'm not a heavy hitter so it seems to work fine as is for now.
I had that same concern! Thankfully they still sound great. I only changed mine because I really like the kit and the tom hoops were cheap looking (to me). Purely ascetics, although it turned out that they’re now easier to tune up, but no discernible sound change. I’m not trying to convince you. Just sharing my story. These are great little kits. I very rarely see them for sale second hand. They’re keepers.

Though Fat Tuesday was yesterday:

Rogers Holiday in Sparkling Mardi Gras Pearl

13” 14” snare 16” 22”

Sabian AA 13” Fusion hats
Sabian AA 22” Medium crash
Sabian HH 21” Vintage ride

9DCBC4B9-4FC9-4F29-BD89-7BFFA70CC953.jpeg

C3BEE7BA-3A3E-4EFC-968D-897EA8AFDEDE.jpeg

Excuse the mess - wife is out of town so I’m getting ready to stage my Pearl in our dining area as well. ?

Last edited:
Ransan,

AWESOME KITS!!!!!! (adopt me...please ;) )
I like how you do a Ringo-style cymbal setup on that Rogers kit.
Very cool.
Thanks for sharing your kits with us.
The pleasure was all ours. (y)

Elvis

Ransan,

AWESOME KITS!!!!!! (adopt me...please ;) )
I like how you do a Ringo-style cymbal setup on that Rogers kit.
Very cool.
Thanks for sharing your kits with us.
The pleasure was all ours. (y)

Elvis
Yessr - Thank you for the very kind comment - much appreciated my friend!

The Rogers kit is really neat.
It has an additional knobby (upper) on the floor to mount an accessory or maybe even a small splash, for support, the floor has 3 interior re-rings, near upper and lower bearing edge, and one in the middle.
The floor is actually an Astoria cocktail outfit (see below).

13C4580B-0222-4C18-A140-EC1F99DD7850.jpeg

As for model, (which were primarily based on attachment configuration) I believe I have the Celebrity model as there 3 collets on bass, 1 collet for tom, and 2 collets for cymbal arms.

I may have just one more tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back