What's your favorite "Blues" song?

Man, the songs you listed ain't no real blues. You have gotta listen to some old Delmark or Alligator label blues recorded by the dudes who came from The Delta. Then come back and talk about The Blues.
I have a feeling you are right.

Blues is a genre of music and there is old snd new because people have always had the blues. I like all of it. Robert Cray has some great blues I’ve been digging of late. The blues can fuse with other genres too- cause any genre can get the blues.

Man, the songs you listed ain't no real blues. You have gotta listen to some old Delmark or Alligator label blues recorded by the dudes who came from The Delta. Then come back and talk about The Blues.

so, not assuming that Rattlin' Bones is the guy I describe below...but, the comment above made me think of this:

it is funny that this kind of mindset is pretty much what I always encountered in my early days of doing open mic jams and dealing with "blues" and jazz guys....and what also helped sour my whole viewpoint of the genre. No matter what someone did, some other guy - who was a supposed/self-appointed "scene guru" of blues - always had a comment in this vain of letting everyone know how "unauthentic" their playing, gear or knowledge was. It was super-annoying, and honestly sort of lame, to be with a bunch of adults who were basically looking to out "slander" each other...and from what I remember, there were very few of them who could actually back it up with any of their playing...

so again, just a thought that was sparked by the above comment

so, not assuming that Rattlin' Bones is the guy I describe below...but, the comment above made me think of this:

it is funny that this kind of mindset is pretty much what I always encountered in my early days of doing open mic jams and dealing with "blues" and jazz guys....and what also helped sour my whole viewpoint of the genre. No matter what someone did, some other guy - who was a supposed/self-appointed "scene guru" of blues - always had a comment in this vain of letting everyone know how "unauthentic" their playing, gear or knowledge was. It was super-annoying, and honestly sort of lame, to be with a bunch of adults who were basically looking to out "slander" each other...and from what I remember, there were very few of them who could actually back it up with any of their playing...

so again, just a thought that was sparked by the above comment
:rolleyes: Yeah, at first I thought ? "Well I guess my definition of Blues was way off..I need to understand what 'real' blues are...", but later upon reflection decided it's simply a matter of personal opinion... Perhaps a better way to offer a differing opinion is to preface said declarative statement with something like "I never got into your list, my definition of blues runs more along these lines, people like Jake & Elwood and Fat Boy Slim...man now THEY can play some blues.." which was how I interpreted the intention in this thread. But to your point some people use that slander method for self promotion...they should be banned from the group (not this forum haha).

:rolleyes: Yeah, at first I thought ? "Well I guess my definition of Blues was way off..I need to understand what 'real' blues are...", but later upon reflection decided it's simply a matter of personal opinion... Perhaps a better way to offer a differing opinion is to preface said declarative statement with something like "I never got into your list, my definition of blues runs more along these lines, people like Jake & Elwood and Fat Boy Slim...man now THEY can play some blues.." which was how I interpreted the intention in this thread. But to your point some people use that slander method for self promotion...they should be banned from the group (not this forum haha).

yeah, and I think there is a scene culture built around that attitude in "local" blues and jazz scenes...the alpha male/club owner/lead musician renting the space gets to have an opinion, and no one else challenges it, so it becomes law...

and I am not saying that other scenes don't have it, but at least for me, it was not as obvious on the metal scene here in town. Even the punk scene has the " I am more punk/non-conformist/controversial than you" thing going...

but I rarely got slammed for my playing ability sight unseen in the metal/punk communities like I did in the blues/jazz thing. Dudes I came across in metal/punk were always like "hey, here is how I played that lick" or" dude, come jam with us sometime"....blues/ jazz was: "who are you? Who do you know? You can go away now...."

STILL, my all time favorites:
Hear My Train-a-Comin' - Live - off of the Rainbow Bridge album.
Machine Gun - Live - off of the Band of Gypsies album

Because they are the best.

"TRAVELIN' BLUES" DIANE SCHUUR

yeah, and I think there is a scene culture built around that attitude in "local" blues and jazz scenes...the alpha male/club owner/lead musician renting the space gets to have an opinion, and no one else challenges it, so it becomes law...

and I am not saying that other scenes don't have it, but at least for me, it was not as obvious on the metal scene here in town. Even the punk scene has the " I am more punk/non-conformist/controversial than you" thing going...

but I rarely got slammed for my playing ability sight unseen in the metal/punk communities like I did in the blues/jazz thing. Dudes I came across in metal/punk were always like "hey, here is how I played that lick" or" dude, come jam with us sometime"....blues/ jazz was: "who are you? Who do you know? You can go away now...."
Yep. (y)

Not to hijack the other thread by @Superstarman, but I think @someguy01 is spot-on and wonder about some of the mods’ interpretation of the rules. More likely it’s a conspiracy to silence dissentient commenters ?????

Last edited:
STILL, my all time favorites:
Hear My Train-a-Comin' - Live - off of the Rainbow Bridge album.
Machine Gun - Live - off of the Band of Gypsies album

Because they are the best.
You say this with such authority, certainly you’re correct above all else.

Back