2021 NAMM Drum Gear

I keep coming back to those Neusonic kits. I do like that they're offering the fab sizes in more options than just the Digital Oyster. The price is right, the colours are improving, I'm intrigued by the hybrid maple/cherry shell, and it's a Ludwig so it has history.
It'd be nice if someone local had one I could play.

It's a shame that Ludwig is raising the prices of their new Neusonic kits. The $1000 pricepoint is one of the biggest selling points for the Neusonics.
Actually, with the fab sizing, they're $100 less than the digital oyster kit which is the only one available in the fab sizes until the new ones hit the market.

I'm with ya, but if the only new finishes are a darker faux wood and a different shade of black formica, then I'm still not gonna buy a Neusonic. BMP or WMP, an oyster, or some black or green or red or blue or silver sparkle. Come on Ludwig - who is advising on color choices on those formica wraps. They're horrible. Go with a different wrap and you'd own the market. I ain't looking at any Gretsch Renown or Catalina or Tama or PDP in that price range if I could get a USA Made Ludwig in a sparkle or marine or pearl. Really. And don't tell me it's because wrap is another layer of the veneer and part of shell. Rethink and think out of the box and take over that market.

I keep coming back to those Neusonic kits. I do like that they're offering the fab sizes in more options than just the Digital Oyster. The price is right, the colours are improving, I'm intrigued by the hybrid maple/cherry shell, and it's a Ludwig so it has history.
It'd be nice if someone local had one I could play.

Actually, with the fab sizing, they're $100 less than the digital oyster kit which is the only one available in the fab sizes until the new ones hit the market.

I really think the Neusonics sound great. It's just that the cost-cutting design doesn't appeal to me. They're quite bland. (and not bland in a Yamaha Stage/Tour Custom sort of way that is still quite endearing). It's good to see they've upgraded the bass drum spurs for the 2021 models, though.

I prefer a 12" rack to a 13" rack, but I can see why they're charging more. But a 1" larger rack tom, upgraded bass drum spurs, and new finish options shouldn't cost $200 more IMO. A $100 increase seems more reasonable to me.

The black and the blue Neusonic looks good. Hope they add more finishes later.

Looks like Sonor is basically reintroducing the Chinese made Martini, Safari and Bop kits, just calling it AQX..............................

I really think the Neusonics sound great. It's just that the cost-cutting design doesn't appeal to me. They're quite bland. (and not bland in a Yamaha Stage/Tour Custom sort of way that is still quite endearing). It's good to see they've upgraded the bass drum spurs for the 2021 models, though.

I prefer a 12" rack to a 13" rack, but I can see why they're charging more. But a 1" larger rack tom, upgraded bass drum spurs, and new finish options shouldn't cost $200 more IMO. A $100 increase seems more reasonable to me.

If they put standard lugs and also finished the edge of the kick drum hoops, I think it would be a very nice kit at this price.

So far, this "Virtual NAMM" show is a convoluted mess. It's terrible. So far I'd give it D-. It feels like they contracted employees from the DMV to run the show. The layout and execution of the website is really that bad.

I registered for the show and have been perusing the "NAMM Believe in Music" website for the past hour. I've learned very, very little. Sure, not all the vendors have announced their stuff yet, but the ones who have...just wow. They link to Unlisted Youtube videos that often have less than a dozen views. Here's an example from Gibraltar, which had 2 views when I saw it. Nobody knows it's there because it's hidden on this stupid website.

/end rant. Sorry I had to vent. I hate bad website design.

So far, this "Virtual NAMM" show is a convoluted mess. It's terrible. So far I'd give it D-. It feels like they contracted employees from the DMV to run the show. The layout and execution of the website is really that bad.

I registered for the show and have been perusing the "NAMM Believe in Music" website for the past hour. I've learned very, very little. Sure, not all the vendors have announced their stuff yet, but the ones who have...just wow. They link to Unlisted Youtube videos that often have less than a dozen views. Here's an example from Gibraltar, which had 2 views when I saw it. Nobody knows it's there because it's hidden on this stupid website.

When is the majority of launches going to start? I thought it was today but I'm not seeing anything. I really hope NAMM 21 doesn't end with 5 product launches in total, I was getting excited...

When is the majority of launches going to start? I thought it was today but I'm not seeing anything. I really hope NAMM 21 doesn't end with 5 product launches in total, I was getting excited...
Most of the major drum manufacturers don't even appear to have showed up. No Tama, no DW, no Gretsch, no Ludwig, no Sabian, no Zildjian. Maybe it's just easier to list the companies that DID show up. Roland, Yamaha, Dixon, Pearl and Sakae. That's pretty much it.

On the website you sign up for these "events". What are these big events once they go live? They link you to a stupid Youtube video. That's it. Most of them are useless promotional puff pieces with no actual info.

This is one of the FEW pieces of actual new info I've managed to find. Sakae's new Evolved line. (with the quirky badges, blech)
https://sakae-drums.com/en/products/shell-kits/evolved/

Most of the major drum manufacturers don't even appear to have showed up. No Tama, no DW, no Gretsch, no Sabian, no Zildjian. Maybe it's just easier to list the companies that DID show up. Roland, Yamaha, Dixon, Pearl and Sakae. That's pretty much it.

On the website you sign up for these "events". What are these big events once they go live? They link you to a stupid Youtube video. That's it. Most of them are useless promotional puff pieces with no actual info.

This is one of the FEW pieces of actual new info I've managed to find. Sakae's new Evolved line. (with the quirky badges, blech)
https://sakae-drums.com/en/products/shell-kits/evolved/
Very disappointing. I have been searching for NAMM news for the last 3 days of NAMM and I have so far found a few guitar pedals, a few signature guitars, a couple snares/hardware pieces from drum brands and a couple new synths. I expected new releases from major brands but I guess they're not happening? Or they're somehow all saving it for the last day? I hope it's the latter. I saw "global product launch event" set for today on the NAMM calendar but so far nothing has come out. I'll have to wait a bit since I'm in Europe and don't share the same time as in the US.

I was under the impression that manufacturers weren't going to 'show up' somewhere,
but that they would have their own broadcasts, and that the NAMM BIM site was supposed to sort of be the host of it.

I don't really know, because I didn't sign up for it. I found some stuff here:
but there's no rhyme or reason to it.
Info from the manufacturers seems to be a bit sparse too.
I meant showing up to the virtual event, so to speak. It appears nobody is showing up. And the ones who did just posted a few corporate ads in the form of Youtube videos.

This is the "meatiest" video I've found so far. It took me 2 hours to find this video. Pretty sad really, because this was already announced before.

Nothing on the BIM site? According to this, 1,000+ brands were supposed to be signed up to show stuff.

Don't go to that website if you value your sanity, lol. It's really REALLY bad. The more I try to figure it out the more frustrated I become.

Here's another example. This "Live Event" just started 7 minutes ago called "A Snarky Approach to Drumming". I love Snarky Puppy and Larnell Lewis. Thought it'd be interesting.

HERE IS THAT BIG EVENT!... they just linked to a 90 minute pre-recorded Zoom call...that's already been on Youtube for 2 months.

I feel you. I got that same invite & it's exhausting to navigate.
I sure wish I could be there in person like the rest of us.

The Meinl 18" Big Bell Ride looks interesting. Anyone know what that should sound like?

The Meinl 18" Big Bell Ride looks interesting. Anyone know what that should sound like?

It sounds like the guitar player constantly turning around and giving you "the look" because it's so damn loud.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

John Longstreth of Origin has 2 custom shop 18" Prototype Mega Bell Rides, one on each side. Looks just like the Big Bell Ride. While I don't like to speculate, I imagine it's the same cymbal.

You probably won't like the music, but you can hear the rides:

At the end of the video he talks briefly about his cymbals, and you get a close up of the rides.

You probably won't like the music, but you can hear the rides:
You're absolutely right. Every flurry of kick thirty-seconds has my soul being ripped from my skull LOL

Anyway, 1:35 has a good demo of the Meinl 18" Big Bell Ride. Doesn't look like something I'm getting.

Back