Mapex Saturn Evolution.... new twist!

I was looking at these as well, very intriguing. What I couldn't find anywhere is how they layout the plies, like is it a maple or birch core ply with walnut outers or is it the other way around? I assume it's like the Tama offering where the walnut is the outer plies.
I like the ridiculous yellow finish and the green is quite lovely.

I don't like how the new Halo mount necessitates putting the badge lower on the shell, which is especially noticeable on the 10" tom. Badges should be mid-shell or slightly higher than the midpoint, otherwise it looks like a design fail.

Mapex.png

I don't like how the new Halo mount necessitates putting the badge lower on the shell, which is especially noticeable on the 10" tom. Badges should be mid-shell or slightly higher than the midpoint, otherwise it looks like a design fail.

View attachment 99945
I can understand that, I'd just remove the badge anyway. Never been a fan of how "in ya face" the Mapex badge tends to be.

OK so is the maple/walnut shell the same as before, with just one inner ply of walnut?

And they are doing the same thing with the birch shell? Just one inner ply of walnut?

Or did they mess with the ply ratio?

If they didn't stick some gum between the layers then it isn't an innovation and just the same old formula. Pearl did it-so innovative, stealing from Gretsch who has done it forever. I'm a bit disappointed. No gum. I'd do the teaberry shuffle if they did add some gum, and make it affordable-why adding a cheaper wood makes it more expensive should have a thread. Maybe a thread on the Herb Alpert teaberry shuffle (for the younger audience it isn't a drum lick-unless you like gum).

I wish Mapex could find a middle ground on re-inventing brand identity. I'm not suggesting they never change or update things but the way they constantly tinker with every design aspect of their brand and the drums themselves really cuts into their ability to create a lasting image.

The hybrid shell series is interesting - " Hybrid-Shelled System - The combination of a maple/walnut bass drum and birch/walnut toms is our bold interpretation of today's modern drum sound. "

On paper, maple/walnut bass drum and birch/walnut toms makes perfect sense to me. I'd like to try them out sometime.

That might sound pretty good. Their maple/walnut Saturn Exotic kick have always sounded killer. Especially with a SuperKick II and Aquarian regulator reso. That said, I'm not sure if they've "messed" with the shell construction recipe.

I like what they have done, but it really does not matter because I am very happy with the drums I have. Peace and goodwill.

At least it's narrow so it's not as obtrusive as others.

Or Noble & Cooley from 2011!!!
Noble & Cooley mount NAMM2011 - YouTube
Agreed on the profile - it's an improved look.

As for dates, we developed the mount Q3 2010, & certainly before we were aware of N&C's design. Our design differs significantly too, as the lugs simply rest in the rubber grommets of any RIMS style mount, as opposed to being affixed to the ring lugs.

Nevertheless, my only reason for posting was not to make any timeline claims on N&C (great company - great drums), but to highlight the all too frequent "borrowing" of independent maker's ideas by larger companies, then promoting those ideas as something "revolutionary" developed in house. For me, it only serves to reinforce the development value of independent drum makers to progression of the instrument.

I'm slightly interested in these myself if I were to get a new kit in the near future. Not way too pricey, good sounding, my ideal sizes (22x18" bassdrum and standard depth toms, opposed to what most other brands are doing, shallower sizes) and with a killer looking gun metal finish that just screams to be a double bass kit... Hmm. Not that bothered about the mount, not a good look on the badges but I think I would see past them if I were to get a kit.
15840941_800.jpg

Agreed on the profile - it's an improved look.

As for dates, we developed the mount Q3 2010, & certainly before we were aware of N&C's design. Our design differs significantly too, as the lugs simply rest in the rubber grommets of any RIMS style mount, as opposed to being affixed to the ring lugs.

Nevertheless, my only reason for posting was not to make any timeline claims on N&C (great company - great drums), but to highlight the all too frequent "borrowing" of independent maker's ideas by larger companies, then promoting those ideas as something "revolutionary" developed in house. For me, it only serves to reinforce the development value of independent drum makers to progression of the instrument.
Shouldn't you patent those kind of things?

A patent is only as good as your ability to defend it, & the ability of others to circumvent the unique features listed in order of importance. It's not the panacea many believe it to be. They're expensive to set up in multiple markets, and defending them is often a money thing.
That would definitely suck to be first to design something and watch others profit from it.

Mapex always comes up with these gimmicks and overly-emphasized features year after year. They make great drums, but they are constantly modifying features on there drums and glorifying the shit out of them to the point where it's nearly impossible to get a matching drum for any line they produce since they change every 6 months. It becomes exhausting. And this is coming from someone who owns a Mapex kit.

I agree, it would help their brand image to stick with a line, like the Saturns for example, have enough quality finishes and just slow down on the constant upgrades. But I guess they cater more to the younger audience that prefers constant change over longevity/simplicity. Maybe a slight exaggeration but you might get my point. It was better with the Saturn 3 some years ago, in my opinion. On the other hand, I like a company that experiment with more finish options, as long as they keep what they already make, long enough. I feel both Mapex and Tama are good in adding new finishes, even though I happen to dislike most of Tama's finishes at the moment (except for the Star series, but those are way out my price range). But that is for another thread. I like the concept about the Saturn Evolutions though, and they hit a home run on the finishes for my taste, at least.

Back