PDP CX Series

I'm not sure I ever saw a 16" floor tom in black onyx. The inability of getting add on drums was what made me decide to let these go about 13 years ago. I did find an 8" tom, and I had all of the bearing edges re-cut, but in the end these just weren't the drums for me. I hope whoever owns them today is enjoying them though.

Sorry folks. I have another question. What do you think of the X7 Series with all maple shells? How do they compare to the CX Series?

Sorry folks. I have another question. What do you think of the X7 Series with all maple shells? How do they compare to the CX Series?
IIRC, these were produced in China; the first run was popular with an outer birch ply, later changed to all maple.

IIRC, these were produced in China; the first run was popular with an outer birch ply, later changed to all maple.

Thanks. I'm pretty much referring to the all maple shell X7 series. What do you think of them and how do they compare to one another?

Thanks. I'm pretty much referring to the all maple shell X7 series. What do you think of them and how do they compare to one another?

I've compared an X7 side by side with an MX kit (CX with a matte finish). I found the X7 toms to be a tad brighter, the MX a tad warmer. They both had coated Ambassadors on the toms. I can't comment on how similar the bass drums were, as they had different heads, but they had the similar modern thump to them.

I've compared an X7 side by side with an MX kit (CX with a matte finish). I found the X7 toms to be a tad brighter, the MX a tad warmer. They both had coated Ambassadors on the toms. I can't comment on how similar the bass drums were, as they had different heads, but they had the similar modern thump to them.

Thanks @caddywumpus. I wonder if the brighter sound from the X7’s is because they have thinner shells than the CX series?

I have no first-hand experience with them. I've heard one band using them and they sounded fine, but I didn't analyze.

Thanks @caddywumpus. I wonder if the brighter sound from the X7’s is because they have thinner shells than the CX series?

Typically "brighter" sounds come from thicker shells and/or sharper bearing edges. The CX/LX/MX drums have sharp edges and thin shells. So do the X7 maple drums. I was under the impression that the X7 maple drums were thicker than the CX drums of yesteryear. I could be wrong, though. Either way, with Ambassador heads and DW factory reso heads, the X7s had a tad more brightness to them.

Typically "brighter" sounds come from thicker shells and/or sharper bearing edges. The CX/LX/MX drums have sharp edges and thin shells. So do the X7 maple drums. I was under the impression that the X7 maple drums were thicker than the CX drums of yesteryear. I could be wrong, though. Either way, with Ambassador heads and DW factory reso heads, the X7s had a tad more brightness to them.

I appreciate your perspective. If you were to have to choose between the CX/LX/MX line and the X7 Series, which would you choose and why?

I'm sure the X7 sounds fine, but I'd never buy one. It was only around for a short time, and it has very little resale value. They give off a cheaper vibe to me than the CX or the Concept Maple series, but who knows.

I would probably choose a CX. They have cooler finishes (wraps), and they're cheaper.

I tend to agree with you about the CX finishes. But I’ve seen the pricing for both series all over the place.

I can neither confirm nor deny this; however, I've heard that the 1st gen CX series that came with the RIMS mounts that attached the tuning rods were actually DW shells. The CX series that that had the suspension mounts that wrapped around the lugs were a different shell. I could be wrong.

I think it was in a Modern Drummer article back in the early days of PDP that they said they were shipping unfinished shells from the DW factory to the PDP factory for finishing and assembly. I'm pretty sure at a later point they were building the shells in Mexico but I don't remember if there was a change in shell recipe.

I heard the wood for DW shells is blessed by the Pope and the pdp wood is just blessed by one of his cardinals.

The X7 line and of course the CX series are all good drums. I knew a guy who had the X7 series and they sounded good.

But always remember, the drummer makes the drums, not the other way around.

I had one of these kits in sky blue pearl. was one of the first pacific kits with the STM mounts. Had the 16" expansion tom as well.

Kinda miss it, but the sizes weren't for me.

Back