Head Selection/ Tuning

MakeitSlap

I just purchased a pearl session studio select kit. The kit was purchased used and in great shape besides the heads. They are destroyed. Going to replace the heads before this weekends gigs. What do you all suggest? Looking for a fat, warm, punchy tone suitable for CCM.

Congrats on getting a great set of drums. I've got Coated Pinstripes on the toms and bass of my Session Studio Select kit right now. The result is "fat, warm, and punchy." I use a Coated Ambassador on my snare though. I don't like the loss of sensitivity double-plies sometimes inflict on snare drums.

I play only Ambassadors myself as more tone gets through the mix, but you probably want a 2-ply

Check out some vids on Pinstripes, Emperors and EC2s.

Last edited:
I recently discovered the Remo PowerStroke 4, and they are incredible. They are similar to Pinstripes, but give even more punch yet with more warmth. That sounds contradictory but the PS4 really do that. They clean up the high overtones that Pinstripes have while not losing the attack. I suggest trying the PS4.

On the toms ..... I'd go with coated Remo Powerstroke3 batter. That added richie ring to the single ply head. Fat and warm. Clear Ambassador reso.

Evans HD Dry on the snare.

Aquarian SK1 batter, on the kick. Ambassador or Powerstroke3 reso.

I have a few of these toms and mix them in with my older Session Series kit. You're going to find that these toms have loads of sustain ( the good kind). I currently have clear Remo Pinstripes over clear Ambassadors. If you go with one ply clear heads your toms are going to sustain forever which you may or may not want. I prefer the clear heads over coated for these drums. The clear heads have more punch and are fatter sounding. You can slap coated Ambassadors top and bottom and get a beautiful classic sound perfect for 60's rock, Motown and even jazz if you crank them up. Congratulations on a great set of drums. You can do anything with them. My preferred bass drum heads are Aquarian Superkick 2 batter and Pearl white coated. I have a 20 and 22 bass drum and they both are absolute killers.

I just purchased a pearl session studio select kit. The kit was purchased used and in great shape besides the heads. They are destroyed. Going to replace the heads before this weekends gigs. What do you all suggest? Looking for a fat, warm, punchy tone suitable for CCM.
Very nice score they are beautiful sounding drums, what color and sizes?

Punch and warmth are the qualities of the Session Studio Select with 2 outer plies of birch and 4 inner plies of mahogany.
In terms of Remo - I would go with coated Ambassadors for openness and warmth, or coated Pinstripes ala @C.M. Jones for a bit of a short fatter tone.

I went the other way for my Session Studio Select, I have CS dots and Master cast hoops for additional focus and attack, surprisingly the warmth is still prevalent.

Very nice score they are beautiful sounding drums, what color and sizes?

Punch and warmth are the qualities of the Session Studio Select with 2 outer plies of birch and 4 inner plies of mahogany.
In terms of Remo - I would go with coated Ambassadors for openness and warmth, or coated Pinstripes ala @C.M. Jones for a bit of a short fatter tone.

I went the other way for my Session Studio Select, I have CS dots and Master cast hoops for additional focus and attack, surprisingly the warmth is still prevalent.
12, 13, 14, 16, 22 kick

Congrats on getting a great set of drums. I've got Coated Pinstripes on the toms and bass of my Session Studio Select kit right now. The result is "fat, warm, and punchy." I use a Coated Ambassador on my snare though. I don't like the loss of sensitivity double-plies sometimes inflict on snare drums.

same as above!!! Congrats!!!
I play only Ambassadors myself as more tone gets through the mix, but you probably want a 2-ply

Check out some vids on Pinstripes, Emperors and EC2s.

was also gonna suggest clear pins...the "industry standard" for warm, fat and punchy.

I have Emporer clear batter (and Ambassador clear reso) on my 1994 Pearl Master Custom Maples....they roll off just enough of the fat and warm to cut through guitar players live and still have that sound. I originally used clear Pins thought

Back