The Roland TD17 kvx

Drum4Jesus

Hi, I was wondering if anyone owns or if someone can answer this? Can you mount the snare on the right and mount the Low tom on the left.
From the pics of this kit it doesn't look like it would be a problem but I'd like to double check before I buy. Thank you Dworld!

I think the brain would have to go on the right too then...?
Not necessarily if you don't want to.

On a relatively symmetrical rack like the TD-17 I don't see why you can't leave the module on the left hand side (you might have to swap around the cables used for the hi-hat and floor tom though if one is significantly shorter than the other).

TD17 has that annoying proprietary cable snake. But with the use of a bunch of extension cables you can put things wherever you like.

See this thread for my left-handed setup of the TD-17KV. I did end up moving the module back to the left side and used some extension cables for the ones that didn't reach.

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on the TD-17 KVX. But I do have some lingering questions. Can you setup these cymbals on real cymbal stands, the snare on a real snare stand and forgo these Roland rack mounts? I want to move the snare and cymbals where I need them. Can you setup one tom up and two down? What extra equipment would we need to make this happen? You would think Roland would answer these questions upfront knowing how important position is to all drummers.

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on the TD-17 KVX. But I do have some lingering questions. Can you setup these cymbals on real cymbal stands, the snare on a real snare stand and forgo these Roland rack mounts? I want to move the snare and cymbals where I need them. Can you setup one tom up and two down? What extra equipment would we need to make this happen? You would think Roland would answer these questions upfront knowing how important position is to all drummers.

Can you setup these cymbals on real cymbal stands
- if you mean standalone cymbal stands - yes.

the snare on a real snare stand
- if you mean an acoustic snare basket - if you can get one that retracts to the size of the pad, then yes.

Can you setup one tom up and two down
- of course - you can set up edrum pads anywhere you like, They are much much more flexible than acoustic drums. You can have 3 floor toms above your hat if you want - try doing that with acoustics ;)

What extra equipment would we need to make this happen
- just moving pads around- nothing - but as the TD17 has an evil proprietary cable snake you may need some jack-to-jack extension cables if the leads on the snake don't reach.
- Rack tubes are just Lego - buy whatever bits you need. Roland, Yamaha, Gibraltar etc - all compatible - and no different than a rack for acoustic drums,

I was thinking to buy one when I decided to get a sum set in my basement for my new band... But the price for what I wanted was 2200 CAN$... And for 1500, I got a Tama 1973, 3 up 1 down, super shape plus rack and accessories plus cymbals from 70's, Avedis... I didn't hesitate too long... Yes, the electonic kit is awesome but I own a piece of Tama history now...

Can you setup these cymbals on real cymbal stands
- if you mean standalone cymbal stands - yes.

the snare on a real snare stand
- if you mean an acoustic snare basket - if you can get one that retracts to the size of the pad, then yes.

Can you setup one tom up and two down
- of course - you can set up edrum pads anywhere you like, They are much much more flexible than acoustic drums. You can have 3 floor toms above your hat if you want - try doing that with acoustics ;)

What extra equipment would we need to make this happen
- just moving pads around- nothing - but as the TD17 has an evil proprietary cable snake you may need some jack-to-jack extension cables if the leads on the snake don't reach.
- Rack tubes are just Lego - buy whatever bits you need. Roland, Yamaha, Gibraltar etc - all compatible - and no different than a rack for acoustic drums,

Thanks for the information. Good to know my setup can be applied to the Roland kit. Looking forward to the all hours practice in my home studio.

Back