Let's see your Gretsch kits (saved the best for last!)

I hear ya. I've been waiting months for my 16" Renown floor tom.
Dang that sucks. Hopefully it comes soon. My 16" is a monster, and I'm sure yours will be as well.

Where did you order from?

There's always tons of those on Reverb.

Thanks, Nicholas.

I ordered the floor tom from the drum shop where I bought the original shell pack. I still have store credit left over from when I traded in my big Yamaha kit. I loved that kit but it paid for the entire Renown 5 piece shell pack, and more. I couldn't pass that deal up.

Truthfully, I'm expecting the drum to arrive any day now. Can't wait to hear it!

Gretsch floor toms are amazing. The 14" I've got now is the ballsiest floor tom I've ever played. Can't even imagine how good the 16" will sound. ?
I'm glad I went with a 14"/16". An 18" would be a little much for me.

I've had 2 dud Remos in a row on my 16, but can still get it sounding great. I have a love/hate thing going on with emperors, and the Renowns have worked with the duds pretty well.

Gretsch floor toms are amazing. The 14" I've got now is the ballsiest floor tom I've ever played. Can't even imagine how good the 16" will sound. ?
The 16" Renown floor tom I special-ordered took about 4 months. It sounds great! I wouldn't say it's an A++ like the 14" floor tom is though, that drum is just crazy resonant and on another level.

I played the included Clear Emperors on my Renowns for a while, but eventually switched them out for Coated Ambassadors. I like them because they can be tuned much higher in the jazzy range.

Hope you get your 16" soon!

In case any of you are in the market for a new (to you) Gretsch kit from the 1980s which just happens to have a kick drum that could stun an elephant at 100 yards.

kd1lfunvvlm7c1y4npkv.jpg

Gretsch 1980's Square Badge Drum Kit With HUGE 30x22" Bass Drum
- Burnt Orange: One of a kind Gretsch 4-pc Burnt Orange Drum Kit with a 30x22" bass drum, 18x20" floor tom, 10x12" and 12x14" rack toms. Condition is very good with a few minor scratches, but no extra holes or cracks in the shells and the chrome is good condition. There is nothing like the sound of vintage Gretsch drums from the era.

The bass drum looks like a cannon and sounds huge!

I bought this kit 3 years ago from a fellow drum collector who said the extended 30" long bass drum had been custom built for one of the Gretsch family members. I have spent a fair amount of time over the course of the last 3 years trying to verify this story, through pictures and contacts, but I have never been able to verify this as a fact. I'm aware that Gretsch did build extended length bass drums at various times in their history, but I have never seen another 30x22" bass drum. Therefore my conclusion that the 30" in length bass drum is a one of kind.

Gretsch Brooklyns with a dw slide track mount. I know the dw mount is large and heavy, but before I had it installed I really didn’t love this kit and was ready to put it on the market. Now I love it. Funny how something like a ton mount can make so much difference in playability and enjoyment.

Attachments

• 1F01DE5F-BFF7-43C4-8334-3D9FC3F3B15D.jpeg
    1F01DE5F-BFF7-43C4-8334-3D9FC3F3B15D.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 1C62ABBE-A424-48AE-B27D-961F92CE4594.jpeg
    1C62ABBE-A424-48AE-B27D-961F92CE4594.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 820BF8D4-3AC7-4546-AD25-65F5821951FE.jpeg
    820BF8D4-3AC7-4546-AD25-65F5821951FE.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 24
Gretsch Brooklyns with a dw slide track mount. I know the dw mount is large and heavy, but before I had it installed I really didn’t love this kit and was ready to put it on the market. Now I love it. Funny how something like a ton mount can make so much difference in playability and enjoyment.
Great solution. Doesn't look too bad at all!

If undrilled bass drums aren't your thing, the Renown RN2 is a viable alternative to the Brooklyn series. You get many of the same features and top-notch build quality plus the excellent GTS mounting system.

Is that a Big and Ugly ride cymbal.
Yes. B&U 22" XSR Monarch ride and a B&U 19" XSR Monarch crash there too.

Just today I bought the 24" B&U HH King ride, and the 22" B&U AAX Muse ride

I also have the XSR Monarch B&U hats... 15" or 16" I cant recall. 15" sounds right.

I'm thinking the Muse ride (really a crash/ride) will work as my left side crash along with the 19" on the right and of course the King ride over the BD. We'll see, that 22" may be too much for a crash.

Bought them today and got the call today to spend three weeks away from home for work... Bummer. Add to that, the drum room is undergoing a facelift. So, I won't get a chance to play them for some time.

I really like that snare. I have wanted to buy another wood snare, but in the end couldn't really find one I liked as much. I figured why buy another if it will just sit on a rack.

I want the New Gergo snare!! Brass Piccolo - that's my love language haha.

I want the New Gergo snare!! Brass Piccolo - that's my love language haha.
I saw that, and thought it was quite interesting. The Gretsch drum right, not the Dunnett? Maybe when my skill level increases 3 or 4 fold, I'll dig into some of the more non-traditional things like this.

Back