8" Toms

I've been looking for a used kit for a bit. This has caused me to do a fair amount of thinking as to what kind of configuration I would like. My current set up is a 20"x14" bass drum, 5.5"x14" snare, 8x12 and 9x13 toms mounted on the bass drum, 14x14 and 16x14 floor toms. I used to use a 10" roto tom as my small tom and that would be as small as I'm willing to go.

I'd actually like to find a 7 piece if I could. Most of the ones I've seen have 8*, 10", 12" mounted toms and 14" and 16" floor toms. But I really like having the 12" directly in front of me. And an 8" tom just seems way too small for me. So, ideally, if I could find it I'd want a 10"x7" small tom, the same 8x12 and 9x13 mounted toms I currently have, a 14x14 floor and a 16x16 floor tom. That would be ideal for me. Another iteration I considered was 10", 12", 14" up and 16" and 18" on the floor. But the 18 seems to be overkill as does a 14 mounted. Not to mention trying to lug all that myself for gigs. I didn't mention that this would be my gigging kit. So, a 10" is as small as I'm willing to go. 8" just seems too small.

I got my toms in 8, 10, 12 back in the 90's - Pearl Master Custom Maples...it took me a while to find the correct tuning for the 8", but I have liked it now for rock stuff. In the beginning, I was tuning the batter head too tight, and the reso side just underneath the batter...went to an Emporer Batter and Ambassador reso, and tuned the top head lower than the bottom, and then finally found the right combo

here it is in my most common set up
set2 copy.jpg

sometimes it nds up to my left, just underneath the hi hat, as a "tag" drum too

I never owned an 8” or 10” shell tom until quite recently when I added both to the mounted 12 and 13’s to go with the 22” bass and 14” FT and snare. I don’t know why more people don’t use this setup, it is absolutely fabulous, especially with 5-6 Zildjian cymbals.

I never owned an 8” or 10” shell tom until quite recently when I added both to the mounted 12 and 13’s to go with the 22” bass and 14” FT and snare. I don’t know why more people don’t use this setup, it is absolutely fabulous, especially with 5-6 Zildjian cymbals.

yep...when I used to bring my big set to gigs, the bass player in that and would always give me shit for it: "dude...why don't you just bring a kick and snare?"

and then I would tell him. I would do that if he left his pedalboard at home...

I always got to use the big set

those drums are all different voices/timbres to use in the right setting...

yep...when I used to bring my big set to gigs, the bass player in that and would always give me shit for it: "dude...why don't you just bring a kick and snare?"

and then I would tell him. I would do that if he left his pedalboard at home...

I always got to use the big set

those drums are all different voices/timbres to use in the right setting...
:) As the old timers used to say “Anything worth doing is worth doing right”! Nothing worse than getting to a gig and regretting leaving something behind. So I always bring the kitchen sink to be sure.

:) As the old timers used to say “Anything worth doing is worth doing right”! Nothing worse than getting to a gig and regretting leaving something behind. So I always bring the kitchen sink to be sure.
Haha, give it about 10-20 years. Bringing the fewest drums possible will start to look better and better. We all go through it, trust me. :LOL:

The 8" always looks sexier than all the other drums. The smaller shell still gets the same hardware, badge and vent hole.

There's very little shell left exposed for dings and scratches, so they always look the most pristine of the bunch.

I got my toms in 8, 10, 12 back in the 90's - Pearl Master Custom Maples...it took me a while to find the correct tuning for the 8", but I have liked it now for rock stuff. In the beginning, I was tuning the batter head too tight, and the reso side just underneath the batter...went to an Emporer Batter and Ambassador reso, and tuned the top head lower than the bottom, and then finally found the right combo

here it is in my most common set up
View attachment 98892

sometimes it nds up to my left, just underneath the hi hat, as a "tag" drum too

Love that blue finish. Wish they made finishes like that today. I ordered a set of Premier Projectors in 1992, with 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16" toms. Still own and use them to this day. I, however, do not frown upon the 12, 13, 16" tom configuration, because I like that too !DSC05513.JPG

My 1st experience with an 8" tom was my Premier Royale kit. I've had so many kits since then. Most have had an 8" unless it was a vintage kit. I cut my teeth on Police/Rush so they are a part of my vocabulary. I used to play my Yamaha RC's with 8/10/14/22. Same with MC kit. I always missed the sound of the 12". I started on a 12/13/16 kit and always liked the 12" but I much prefer standard depth over power/extended whatever they're calling them. I used the 8/10 because it was a fun change from 10/12.

Love that blue finish. Wish they made finishes like that today. I ordered a set of Premier Projectors in 1992, with 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16" toms. Still own and use them to this day. I, however, do not frown upon the 12, 13, 16" tom configuration, because I like that too !View attachment 98897

thanks!! I remember Premier had a great blue color in the 90's as well.

is that set up in you practice space? nice area!!!

I like them if I have a 3 up kit. It's far more practical for effect (to me) than adding a larger tom next to the 12". All that does is shorten the interval between my 12 and 16 which I don't want shortened. I like that particular wide interval.
My former 3 up Yamaha kit had an 8, but that was obviously the first tom to go when I decided on fewer rack toms.

The 8" always looks sexier than all the other drums. The smaller shell still gets the same hardware, badge and vent hole.

There's very little shell left exposed for dings and scratches, so they always look the most pristine of the bunch.

I think they look cool too. I went to see a drummer friend at a local club and his 2-up kit was 8 and 10 and they sounded like cannons (miked of course).

I think they look cool too. I went to see a drummer friend at a local club and his 2-up kit was 8 and 10 and they sounded like cannons (miked of course).
Sounds like a 1950's private investigator.
"Name's Cannon. Mike D. Cannon, private eye."

thanks!! I remember Premier had a great blue color in the 90's as well.

is that set up in you practice space? nice area!!!

Thanks. This is where I do my drum recording. The finish was called Sapphire Blue. You cannot tell from my picture, but they can look purple or blue in specific light. When drum companies stopped making solid-colored lacquer finishes, the entirety of every company's product line became unappealing to me. Bursts on a drum should have never been imagined, IMO. Anyway, yes, must have an 8" tom for your "master kit".

If I'm not mistaken Aerosmith set the limit for toms at 10 inches. There was no pulling out the big 8 inch???? No 10 is the minimum. An 8 wouldn't even hold a glass of tea, coffee, wine, or beer. It does look like a coffee can. You know maybe the 8 in could be like a refreshment reservoir with some clear food grade tubing to your mouth. Or if you're a smoker it can serve as a Hookah. I think an 8 in retrofit kit is OBVIOUSLY in need. Turn it into something useful LOL.

I've had several setups over the years. 8 & 10" toms like DC has, 10 & 12" toms or 8/10/12.
I left the 8" tom out of my setup a few weeks ago, but after 2 sessions it was back in again because i missed it. I think i do favor 10/12/14" toms because of the lower tuning that i favor, but i have the ideal heads now on my 8x7and it's tuned as low as possible. With my toms now i can get a nice full sound and the 8" also functions as a link between the toms and my rocket toms. I just like having 3 toms in front of me to construct the fills i want them.

Anyone else using 8" toms in their setups ?

A number of members here own a 8/10/12/16/22 Renown. I owned a black RN series (~2010) from 2015-2017.

I find that there are two distinct groups of 8/10 owners. There are those that, I suspect, played tri/quad toms in HS marching band and have them set up as normal rack toms. Then there are those of us that played in HS jazz/pit band and have them set up as auxiliary toms to the left of the hat for faux-latin or hand-drum emulation. I fall into the latter category.

TBT, I've always been a bit jealous of the drummers in the former category who appear at-home with with a bunch of RT's. They look so natural and at-ease, as if they know what they're doing.

Last edited:
Back