And My New Zildjian Cymbal Series Is . . .

Now yer talkin! I like those cymbals. Very tasty. I can't wait to hear a sample. ?

I wouldn't use those videos as flattering sound files. As much as I like Chad's playing, the quality of those home recordings is poor. They almost turned me off from the series. I dismissed them and found much better examples.
True on they weren’t flattering sound, but he did get them to become fully expressed. That’s what intrigued me the most and showed me some of their versatility.

Special thanks to @TK-421 , who owns an A Avedis specimen, for answering some of my questions on the series.
I'm glad to have been of some service. And I'm especially glad that you're happy with the cymbals you received. If your 21" sounds anything like my 22", then I'm sure you're thrilled with it. And those 15" hats I played once were KILLER, so I hope yours are equally impressive.

I was just reading on them-throwback to 60s-even an aged patina. Wow- Hats also come in 16 in too. Described as "thin and loose" just the way I like my cymbals. Great choices you'll enjoy them for years to come. Yeah you dish out some buck but when you play them and listen Oh my lord it's really really worth it.

A AVEDIS

This is Zildjian's "throwback" series, a tribute to cymbals of the 1930s through the 1960s. They sound darker and mellower than regular As but are still clean and articulate. They're thin and lightweight, which keeps them in a lower tonal range, precisely what I was looking for. Every cymbal in this series, aside from hats, is designated as multiuse, just like in the old days. Here are the sizes I selected:

15" Hi-Hats: This is my first set of 15" hats ever. These have a low-pitched bark and a subtle sizzle. They blend beautifully with just about everything.

18" and 19" Crashes: These are very thin and low, and their large diameters give them a tasteful baritone howl. They're complex without being trashy. I don't do extreme trash in cymbals.

21" Ride: Nuanced, reserved, and musical. What I like most about this ride is the complete integration of its bell. When you move to the bell on some rides, you hear nothing but the bell, almost as though the bell and the bow are two separate instruments. Not so in this case. The entire cymbal sings through the bell. Very stylish!

Why did I make a switch? I've been playing a lot of laid-back, low-volume music for the last year or so. I don't think that will change. I needed to subdue my cymbal voice yet find something versatile enough to work in all applications. After listening -- again and again and again -- to EVERYTHING Zildjian is making right now, the A Avedis series was the clear winner for me. Yes, these were an investment, but they'll keep me set for a very long time.

A few neat features of these cymbals:

I. The Avedis logo was taken from Avedis Zildjian's passport signature.

II. The bottom of each cymbal features the old-school hollow Zildjian emblem.

III. At the factory, Zildjian pens the gram weight of each cymbal inside its bell.

Special thanks to @TK-421 , who owns an A Avedis specimen, for answering some of my questions on the series. Thanks also to Chuck at Zildjian. The whole staff there has always been amazingly helpful, one of the main reasons I've played the brand so long.

Below are photos of my 15" hats. I didn't want to post a ton of pictures.

View attachment 98743View attachment 98744

DUDE!!!! you are killing me...just when I thought that I was over GAS...they look like my dads Zildjians from the 50's...same lathing texture and all...love it!!!

True on they weren’t flattering sound, but he did get them to become fully expressed. That’s what intrigued me the most and showed me some of their versatility.

He's a great player. I just wish he'd mic'd up better for his quarantine sessions. :)

Congrats on the new suit!
For those referring to sound files, there’s some COVID home sessions with Chad Smith on YT where he uses these. They to me sound big and open just like classic rock cymbals.

Kind of funny that Chad is playing an A Avedis assortment at home. He's been a Sabian endorser FOREVER. I guess his contract is flexible.

Kind of funny that Chad is playing an A Avedis assortment at home. He's been a Sabian endorser FOREVER. I guess his contract is flexible.
That’s what noticed as well, he’s not on a Pearl either.
Did the paint smudge on the hats raise some questions? Lol

Sure thing. Just as soon as you pick up a Pearl kit decked out with Remo.

One of the cats I study with has a pearl Endorsement and he just got a KILLER new set.

I would play the heck out of it...and it's loaded up with Remo colored heads - I love it haha. Absolutely love it tbh.

It's a "Reference Pure" in Satin Rose Gold with Nickel Hardware.

Attachments

• IMG_4404.jpg
    IMG_4404.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4403.jpg
    IMG_4403.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4402.jpg
    IMG_4402.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 21
Back