Ludwig CM stock heads

Has anyone else ever kept the stock heads on their on Ludwig Classic Maple toms? My CMs are new and came with Ludwig/Remo stamped coated heads on the toms (coated batter, clear bottom). I’m actually pleased with the way they sound and I haven’t swapped them yet. I know that some beginner and midrange kits from Ludwig and other brands come with cheap Chinese made Remo heads but I’m wondering if these heads on the CMs are USA made?

Ludwig made a full line of heads (timpani, too) in their factory in Chicago and then Monroe, for their US kits - Classic Maple, Keystone, Legacy.

Not quite 2 years ago, they began using Remo heads for the US kits, with the Ludwig logo added. Except for 12/13/14" snare batter and snare side heads. Ludwig still makes those in Monroe (along with timpani and concert bass drum heads.)

Bermuda

A few years ago I bought a new Ludwig CM kit and it came with Ludwig coated heads. They were very much like Remo Ambassadors so I used them and they sounded great.

I bought a new 2013 CM set a couple years ago. It came with Remo Ambassador X heads.
The heads aren't stamped 'Ludwig' anywhere on them.
They sound really good though, and I don't plan on changing them out until they wear out.

I bought a new 2013 CM set a couple years ago. It came with Remo Ambassador X heads.
The heads aren't stamped 'Ludwig' anywhere on them.

Then they weren't the original heads for that kit. :)

Bermuda

I am odd man out on this board. I love my Ludwig drums but I hate Ludwig heads. I even found replacing the bass drum reso to be a HUGE improvement. I was happy to hear that they had switched to Remo.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I have to say I am quite pleased with the stock Ludwig/Remo heads. I don't have a reference point since this is my first Ludwig set and my first high end kit, but the heads do have a similar sound and feel to coated Ambassadors. They are definitely brighter and more open than Emperors. I plan on keeping these heads until they are worn out. All in all no complaints!

I have confirmed that they are indeed Remo Ambassadors (coated batter & clear bottom). It's good to know they are finally shipping their top models with quality heads.

I liked the Ludwig heads. Sad to see them gone. I currently have silver dot batters on my kit with clear heavy resos. I also have a second set of silver dots, a set of clear heavies, and a set of clear 2-ply weathermasters, along with two spare clear power collars for my bass drum and 2 15" coated heavies for my snares. I'm savinv those though, as Ill never be able to get anymore of them. Ill probably throw some Remos on my kit when its time to change heads so I dont use up my stockpile. I just wish i'd gotten a couple of 15" snare sides. I didn't bother, as I heard that Ludwig would still be making snare heads. Unfortunately 15's were discontinued.

I really used to like silver dot heads. Oh well, products come and go. Peace and goodwill.

I guess I'm dragging up an old topic but I just got a couple of add on toms for my classic maple that I purchased used last year and I assumed the reso head was a Remo Ambassador. However my new 7x10 and my existing 8x12 seem to be resonating differently. I put as new Vintage Ambassador on top to match but the new drum has a much shorter resonance.

Is the stock head on a Classic Maple a legit clear Ambassador or just something similar to a clear Ambassador made by Remo?

I guess I'm dragging up an old topic but I just got a couple of add on toms for my classic maple that I purchased used last year and I assumed the reso head was a Remo Ambassador. However my new 7x10 and my existing 8x12 seem to be resonating differently. I put as new Vintage Ambassador on top to match but the new drum has a much shorter resonance.

Is the stock head on a Classic Maple a legit clear Ambassador or just something similar to a clear Ambassador made by Remo?

Hey, I have a set of 2018 Classic Maples and they arrived with clear Remo Emp. with Ludwig logo on top and clear Ambass. with logo on the bottoms. Base drum heads were a clear Remo P3 with logo on batter and smooth white Remo P3 with logo on the reso side. I now have added (2020) a second base drum and second floor tom and they have the same configurations. Cheers and Happy New Year!

Back