If you can have only have hi hats/crash/ride...

Zildjian K Custom Hybrids, especially the 19" crash and the hats.

My recently acquired Paiste Fomula 602 ME 15" hats, 18" crash and 20" ride. Until now I have only used 3 cymbals at a time, but I now have the three above plus a Paiste 505 series 16" crash which matches pretty well and give a more trashy sound when needed.
I’ve been using Paiste Giant beats 15/20/24 for many years now. I love them but want to get something new. The 602 ME are in my radar 15/20/22 but they’re way too expensive

Reactions: RVN
There was a point in my younger days that I used 14" new beats with a 21" traditional finish sweet ride in the 'ride' position and a 21" brilliant finish sweet ride in the 'crash' position. That was quite a fun set up. The difference in tonal qualities just between the brilliant and traditional finishes made them totally different animals despite being the same size and model/profile.

20" K Custom Ride - my dream ride. I don't own it yet, but the ones I have played on showed me that I could get it in all situations too

Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely cymbal and it DOES do lots of things beautifully... but I found it doesn't crash well at all and may be a bit bright and projecting for some low-volume situations. I haven't played mine since getting my Omni (but I also can't quite bring myself to sell it, I've had it since 1991).

Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely cymbal and it DOES do lots of things beautifully... but I found it doesn't crash well at all and may be a bit bright and projecting for some low-volume situations. I haven't played mine since getting my Omni (but I also can't quite bring myself to sell it, I've had it since 1991).

I know a place in C-bus Ohio where that K Custom would have a good home :cool:

15" Meinl Byzance Vintage pure hats
20" Meinl Byzance Extra Thin Hammered Crash
22" Paiste Dark Energy Mark II Ride

Still working on finding a Meinl Ride I love more than the Dark Energy. Getting closer though

I think the ride would either be a 22" Paiste Traditional Light Ride or the 21" Meinl Byzance Polyphonic Ride. Both great crash sound, nice wash and overal versatile ride.
For hats i think the Meinl 14" Byzance Serpents Hi-hats. Love how they sound!
Crash... think i'm gonna go with a 19" Zildjian K Custom Dark crash.

Last edited:
Zildjian -

22" K Custom Dark Ride
20" K Custom Dark Crash
14" K Custom Dark Hats.

Paiste -

2002 22" Ride
2002 19" Crash
2002 15" SE Hi-Hats.

I have played gigs with these several times.
Sabian
18" AA El Sabor
17" AAX X-plosion Crash
14" Paragon Hats

However, I own none of those cymbals now. Here is what I would use now.
Sabian
20 HHX Evolution Ride
16" AAX Concept Crash
14" SR2 Hats (medium top/ heavy bottom)

Peace and goodwill.

15 K Lights
22 A Medium
20 Amedia Vintage Crash (20 K Dark Thin if we're being all matchy matchy ?)

Done loads of gigs with this setup

I’ve been using Paiste Giant beats 15/20/24 for many years now. I love them but want to get something new. The 602 ME are in my radar 15/20/22 but they’re way too expensive
Every day since I have brought them home I have been grateful that I bought the cymbals I wanted, not those that I could most easily afford. They reveal a new nuance every practice. I saved up literally for years and I tried out 6 or 7 different Paiste lines in the shop when I decided on these.
:cool:

I know a place in C-bus Ohio where that K Custom would have a good home :cool:

You'd be in line after the other dozen or so offers I have! But I'll keep it in mind.;)

My current core set is all I need.
15" Sabian AAX Medium Hats.
19" Sabian AAX Xplosion Fast Crash.
21" Sabian AA Bash ride.

Versatile, blends well, plus the ride is crashable and the crash has a great rideable bell, so its like 2 crashes and rides ;)

Back