Top 10 kits of 2020...

Coming from a guy who has Champagne taste and beer money, I'll take the Tama Star Mahogany and the SQ2 Heavy Beech. Those 2 are just jaw dropping to me.
I 100% agree. The room mic portion tells the tale of Tama and Sonor superiority. I can afford neither.
The Starclassic however is precisely the one I've been considering but in the liquid red phantasm as it's appropriately gaudy for this guy.

We need @SomeBadDrummer to do a poll... :unsure:
I’m very tempted.....but I’ll pass for now. :D Maybe someday the bittersweet indifference of the first poll will fade and there will be another. A shot at redemption with so little to lose. However to do so the subject and choices would have to be foolproof, and I’m not sure that’s achievable if comments are allowed haha

Dear God..how do I explain this. Those players..all of them..never ever hit the drums or play like I need them to for a more solid opinion. The playing is just kind of weak..and not conducive to what the potential of every drum is capable of. I find myself concentrating to much..not with a relaxed assurance that im listening to the full potential of the kits demonstrated. I liked the sonors a bit more than the others but it wasn't night and day.

Dear God..how do I explain this. Those players..all of them..never ever hit the drums or play like I need them to for a more solid opinion. The playing is just kind of weak..and not conducive to what the potential of every drum is capable of. I find myself concentrating to much..not with a relaxed assurance that im listening to the full potential of the kits demonstrated. I liked the sonors a bit more than the others but it wasn't night and day.
I’m with you that man. This is how you demo a set of drums!!

I think it's because they are selling them and don't want to have a single dent, mark on them...so, they go lightly...but sure, this demo for the Yamaha kit is fantastic...

Honestly, besides the Sonor (which I hate the look of) none of these kits interest me in the slightest. I am not a fan of attack heavy tones. The PDP sounds decent but that’s about it. All the rest of these kits leave me absolutely unimpressed.

Have to agree. The kits all seemed underwhelming. The players all seemed tired. The flannel shirts, well . . .

I'm listening and judging the drums-not their playing. I do like it when they play the exact same thing on different kits-then you pay attention to drum sound rather than distracted from drumming. A great player can make a toy kit sound great-so really great playing can be just as distracting from listening to the drums. All the cymbals also distract from drum sound-sometimes the cymbal choices shine more than their drums they are showing. I guess that's BOGO if you are also looking for cymbals. I'd love to play the Canopus and Noble and Cooley kits just because I've never sat on one-but that's just curiosity.
If DCP were to send me these kits then I'll take them down to my diabolical laboratory to experiment and give them my analysis with data-sadly all the kits will be destroyed (wink, wink) so I won't be able to return them. I put some in a bomb calorimeter, some in gas chromatograph, some for Scanning electron microscopy, some for tensile testing, sound analysis of drums/heads/wood, etc. ,and player satisfaction from the $200 a ticket dlrawing/chance for 50 lucky DW forum members to win the chance to play each kit and give their opinion (I'm selling 1000 ticket just in case they figure out I didn't destroy them and I'll buy them-which I'll need money to build my storage unit). It's a sacrifice I would make for the progress of "science" and my hope I can blind them with it and run off with the kits while they see spots. Yeah My Bad.

All the demos were meat+potato rock demos more or less, which I suppose is an even playing field comparison for these kits. However if you start looking at higher tunings and more bop-like playing it will probably narrow the field quite a bit. Admittedly, I ended up with an RFM kit based on the bop tuning demos and my memories of hearing them live in a jazz environment. I bet the N&C would sound good tuned high and probably the Star Hogs too. But something like the Starclassic W/B, I wouldn't expect enough mid-range and the higher tuned demos I heard around YT didn't sound great. Those Sonors sounded freakin' awesome, like an elephant stampede and would want to rock'n out...I may not even want to tune them higher. One of my concerns with online shopping is the tuning issue; will it sound good in a multiple ranges, heads or with how I like to tune and still keep the inherit traits of the shell that I like.

I must tune my kit way too low.. most in this video the toms are too high for me.. i'm in love with that Tama starclassic though :) especially at the price point.
Some of those over 4k+ i just don't hear the price difference, i might be broken... i think those pearls would be the max for me.. i like em though :)

the N&C toms though... my god..

I don't mind the softer playing.. everything is mic'd and no reason to beat em to death.

I’m with you that man. This is how you demo a set of drums!!

Love it!
Snare wires off & hit the toms hard enough to make them sing like they should.

They all sound fantastic, so in normal fashion im going with the Pearl's. Why change now?

They dont play drums like I do either. This does not take away from the listening experience at all for me. They are demoing a product to sell. I'm not watching to experience a chops fest. I'm watching to listen to the drums, like actually listen. I'm not trying to be wowed. I'm not trying to steal licks. I'm trying to objectively hear drums without distractions. These videos do a fantastic job.

If one cannot get a good idea of what drums sound like watching these videos, one must go clean their ears.

With the exception of the PDP and the A&F ..... I'd gladly take any of these kits. And maybe a different head choice would make me like those as well. Video did what I thought it should. If I was shopping for any one of these kit, I'd certainly listen to more video's than just this one. And hopefully hunt down and play a kit live. Or hear one live.

But the real answer is Mapex???

Back