20” wide x 18” long bass drums...

LittleLegs

... were a thing a while ago. Lots of folk on here would say that anything over 14” is a waste, but is anyone playing these and loving them?

I've got a Premier Projector 20x18 BD from the mid eighties, it's a stunning sounding thing. Premier were one of the first to experiment with them.

I've got a Premier Projector 20x18 BD from the mid eighties, it's a stunning sounding thing. Premier were one of the first to experiment with them.
I remember seeing them in brochures, for some reason I think it was in the Moonrock finish. Premier have that size of drum a name but can't remember it right now.

Had? What happened to it? Lovely kit!
Thanks! I recently sold 'em. I actually had a whole shell bank of Prolites in Walnut Brown Burst, but I was (admittedly) getting tired of the stage real estate the deeper bass drums were taking. It made me nervous every night the singer drank too much. But that's not to say that they weren't killer sounding drums...they absolutely were. I just really wanted to get back to traditional sized bass drums (14"). I'm ultimately happier with what I have now.

A lead singer and a guitar player in a band I was in got wild, did a bump-jump,
and both fell backwards onto my drums, scattering them, at one of the biggest gigs we played.

Not funny. :mad:

Well - almost funny now, but definitely not at the time.
I hear you! The worst is when the singer invites drunken ladies up to dance on the stage. I'm always a sitting duck. I've had a tom in a snare basket take a tumble and roll across the stage because a girl was dancing too close, I've had crash cymbals topple over, and once, a drunk guy stumbled into one of our PA stacks and sent a cabinet smack into a 1977 walnut gloss Gretsch set I had. Took a nice chunk out of the mounted tom and scuffed up the BD reso hoop pretty good. I had to sell the Gretsch's shortly thereafter - I couldn't bear to look at them any more. It made my heart sink.

I had an 18 by 20 Yamaha Birch custom absolute nouveau for several years and now I have a 14 x 20 Ludwig Club date I really don't see a whole lot of difference between the 14 16 and 18 deaths. I like them all but the 14 fits in my drum room ( which is very small) better and my car better and the doorways better I did notice that.

I've had two kits with a 20 x 20 kick drum.

I own neither one now.

Just picked one up yesterday. Ace thing :cool:

My Gretsch Catalina Club is a 22x20 "cannon kick". Gives me the boom of a 24, yet fits in a 22" case.
Sometimes a venue's drum riser is not the best for it, but as I angle the kick away from centerline, it always fits.

I have 2 22x20 bass drums. I wish they were 22x14 or 16. They make a hell of a boom, but thats about it and they look kinda silly.

If you can't do it yourself, it might be worth having them cut down to that size.
Yeah I think about it quite a lot. Theres a guy that lives near where my kit is (this guy) who could do it, but my kicks are in a burst finish, so the bass drum hoop wouldnt match the colour where the kit would be cut. That being said, I'm still considering it.

Back