Die Cast on Pearl Sessions Select

Ransan

Hello

My itch got to me and I put the die cast hoops on my Session Select (only the 12, 14, 16 came in and was 1 each not the set). Initially I wanted to do a sweeping rim and head change to all at once. I am glad I did this. My original plan was to put DCs on top and bottom toms with cs dots top and ambassadors on reso.
Disclaimer: I knew I was a little ambitious casting an already short focused shell composition, but maybe tuning these or further adjustments I.e. thinner reso heads, I can still find possible resolve.

I put the heads on and changed the rims. What’s on now is DC top with cs dots and flange on bottom with Ambassadors.

What I noticed is the 12 is choked and is much to my dismay, but the 14 and 16 sing so warm and beautifully with great initial attack?! This is where I can hear both woods speak and I love the sound.

I am at a crossroads on deciding to completely return these as I now anticipate a set would choke up the drums top and bottom; or go Copeland on the toms.

Or has anyone heard or seen kits with flanged rack toms and DC on floors to lock in the grumble of floors?
At this point it might be OCD vs my ears, cause I don’t want to remove the casts from my floor toms.
E64AEDDD-0736-4474-A721-711C51177CAF.jpeg

Last edited:
Why go to extremes with die cast? I'm quite a fan of the Pearl Superhoop II (2.3mm triple flanged), which comes standard with the Session Studio Select series. I've never been a proponent of die cast. Yes, die cast lends focus, but it also imposes stiffness and potential choking. Some players swear by die cast, but I like the open and flexible characteristics of triple flanged a lot more.

Last edited:
I'm quite a fan of the Pearl Superhoop II (2.3mm triple flanged), which comes standard with the Session Studio Select series. I've never been a proponent of die cast. Yes, die cast lends focus, but it also imposes stiffness and potential choking. Some players swear by die cast, but I like the open and flexible characteristics of triple flanged a lot more.
Yes I like the super hoops as well.

It’s when I did my Gretsch snare build that I found out the benefit of casting the 4160 COB as well as the disadvantage from removing it from the Renown maple.

Maybe casting is more for softer/tone woods such as maple, mahog, walnut, poplar controlling, and even metals?

Do what works for you mate. If you’re happy with the sound go with it. I mix hoops on a couple of snares ala Copeland so it wouldn’t be too much of a leap to take that approach on a Tom... (y) ?

Do what works for you mate. If you’re happy with the sound go with it. I mix hoops on a couple of snares ala Copeland so it wouldn’t be too much of a leap to take that approach on a Tom... (y) ?
Thank You Al, it may be a little more lab time needed for this study.

I will definitely keep this post informed.

I could see how the die cast would help focus the floor toms especially if thin-shelled . I like experimenting with drums too. Necessity doesn’t have to be the mother of invention sometimes serendipity is.

I could see how the die cast would help focus the floor toms especially if thin-shelled . I like experimenting with drums too. Necessity doesn’t have to be the mother of invention sometimes serendipity is.
Yes, thanks for your input, I appreciate that.

The composition here is 6 plies; 4 outer plies of birch and 2 inner of mahog, with all things considered in and on my shells; boy does it bring out the hum of the fts though and it’s so warm sounding uncharacteristic of birch.

Each size tom needs different things IMO. Like DC on floor toms may work great but not on racks for instance. I put single ply heads on my racks and pins on my floors. Using one hoop/head formula on all the drums doesn't always return the best results. IMO, the racks, by virtue of their (lack of) size, need to be unchoked as much as possible, where the floor toms naturally have more oomph and don't need to be maximised as much as the smaller drums. Die cast hoops aren't an advantage to the smaller rack toms to my ear. TF makes a longer note on racks IMO. If that's what you like.

I am considering going the other way. After owning my Starclassic kit for a few years now I’m considering 2.3 triple flanged hoops for the toms. Just not a fan of die cast on toms. Very interested to read the feedback from others on this thread. As far as your hoop choice for your kit goes, I say whatever sounds and feels best to you is the way to go. No rules man, you do you .

Yes I like the super hoops as well.

It’s when I did my Gretsch snare build that I found out the benefit of casting the 4160 COB as well as the disadvantage from removing it from the Renown maple.

Maybe casting is more for softer/tone woods such as maple, mahog, walnut, poplar controlling, and even metals?

Our birch/African mahogany shells already have a ton of focus. Pearl's decision to put triple flanged on the Sessions was the right move to me.

Each size tom needs different things IMO. Like DC on floor toms may work great but not on racks for instance. I put single ply heads on my racks and pins on my floors. Using one hoop/head formula on all the drums doesn't always return the best results. IMO, the racks, by virtue of their (lack of) size, need to be unchoked as much as possible, where the floor toms naturally have more oomph and don't need to be maximised as much as the smaller drums. Die cast hoops aren't an advantage to the smaller rack toms to my ear. TF makes a longer note on racks IMO. If that's what you like.
Thanks Uncle Larry, I may have optimized attack and that’s what happens on the smaller shells is choke out. I still have my superhoops that I may have to dial back in.

I am considering going the other way. After owning my Starclassic kit for a few years now I’m considering 2.3 triple flanged hoops for the toms. Just not a fan of die cast on toms. Very interested to read the feedback from others on this thread. As far as your hoop choice for your kit goes, I say whatever sounds and feels best to you is the way to go. No rules man, you do you .
Thanks Gish - is the shell composition on your kit maple and is it heavy plied?
I’m thinking that maple shells were the inception of the casting option if someone wanted to completely scale down open warmth.

Consider an S-Hoop on the 12". They give you a lot of the focus of a die cast but don't choke the life out like die casts can on some drums.
Thanks for your reply Winston.
Yes I have the Superhoops that came with the kit and may put them back on.

I've thinking of the DC top formula myself lately, I think the concept makes sense. Snare stands choke toms extra so DC with a dot head may have been too much. But I like snare stand positioning sometimes and I've been considering getting the tom springs from BDC, they are only ~$30 and the concept makes sense to me.

@Ransan , if you want more focus out of your Sessions, put Coated Pinstripes on your toms and bass, as I've done with mine. You'll get laser-like tones that penetrate iron. The sound is ultra clean.
Those are a little thick for my liking - but won’t rule out, definitely a TC type arrangement, right?

Ahh man! - you guys are onto some good stuff.

With the DCs (eta on the rest 8, 10, 13 is November) - I may try smooth coat thin plies for batter testing smaller shells first (not a heavy hitter and I use 7As) or warm them up a touch with some coats.

I've thinking of the DC top formula myself lately, I think the concept makes sense. Snare stands choke toms extra so DC with a dot head may have been too much. But I like snare stand positioning sometimes and I've been considering getting the tom springs from BDC, they are only ~$30 and the concept makes sense to me.
Good call - After the game I’m headed down to the beat lab!

I have been thinking of getting the Pearl s1030L longer snare basket for a single tom placement. Maybe it is my pacific snare stand choking the tom as well. ?

Those are a little thick for my liking - but won’t rule out, definitely a TC type arrangement, right?

Ahh man! - you guys are onto some good stuff.

With the DCs (eta on the rest 8, 10, 13 is November) - I may try smooth coat thin plies for batter testing smaller shells first (not a heavy hitter and I use 7As) or warm them up a touch with some coats.

I don't hit heavily either. I just like the warmth and centeredness of Coated Pins on my toms and bass. On snares, though, it's single-ply only. I want sensitivity and articulation in that domain. The Coated Ambassador does everything I want it to.

Back