Research Survey - Snare Drum Project

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
As some of you may know, I'm conducting Arts Council funded research into the snare drum which will result in some original compositions and performances.

This particular piece of research is in relation to drags, which has some very interesting ambiguities. I'd appreciate your thoughts both in your survey responses, and your comments in this thread.

The survey should only take a couple of minutes: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/XXF8L7T

Thanks,
J

Took the survey, had to actually think for a change!

I took the survey. Sorry, but none of that is interesting or important to me. Peace and goodwill.

He who asks the questions cannot avoid the answers.

I actually questioned my own understanding and found it really hard to put in my own words; it would be easier to play than explain, and I found that interesting/unnerving...I reckon I’d struggle to explain a flam... ?

I actually questioned my own understanding and found it really hard to put in my own words; it would be easier to play than explain, and I found that interesting/unnerving...I reckon I’d struggle to explain a flam... ?

Thanks for taking the time. This was precisely the point. I will publish my findings when all is finished, but the ambiguity of drags goes deeper than people thing.

I took your survey. My responses probably won't be helpful to you, either. I didn't see in your original post (or understand it, I suppose) that it would involve theory/notation questions. I'm self taught, so I don't know much (anything) about drag or any of the written music stuff.

Sorry if that skews your survey. Perhaps you can make it a bit clearer in your original post that it involves questions regarding reading music...

I took your survey. My responses probably won't be helpful to you, either. I didn't see in your original post (or understand it, I suppose) that it would involve theory/notation questions. I'm self taught, so I don't know much (anything) about drag or any of the written music stuff.

Sorry if that skews your survey. Perhaps you can make it a bit clearer in your original post that it involves questions regarding reading music...

Thanks for the reply, I just saw your answers. No, your answers are completely valid, because the ambiguity of the notation is part of the research. The main question was in relation to the two different figures sounding different or the same, and your interpretation is what I'm trying to gauge, regardless of your drumming education.

Done. Great topic, drags are awesome.

Thanks for taking the time. This was precisely the point. I will publish my findings when all is finished, but the ambiguity of drags goes deeper than people thing.

I don’t think they’re ambiguous in the rudimental tradition. They’re 32nd notes. However, in the concert tradition, I agree, they’re very ambiguous.

I go to a percussion symposium every summer and this kind of discussion is always part of the weeks classes. I love dissecting percussion stuff at this level...

rudiments/rudimental history; drum set playing/drum set history; mallet percussion playing and history....the development of percussion pedagogy...NONE of this is irrelevant to what I do as a drummer.

Love it!!

Took it. I can honestly say I've never heard of the North American Rudimental Tradition. I assume they're talking about the standard paradiddle pattern as opposed to another kind?

Either way, I had to give answers I haven't had to in a long while. Thanks for that. ;)

Took it. I can honestly say I've never heard of the North American Rudimental Tradition. I assume they're talking about the standard paradiddle pattern as opposed to another kind?

Either way, I had to give answers I haven't had to in a long while. Thanks for that. ;)

I think North American separates us from the Basel Swiss tradition, and the Scottish tradition of rudiments...and if memory serves me, the Socttish is influenced by the Basel

I go to a percussion symposium every summer and this kind of discussion is always part of the weeks classes. I love dissecting percussion stuff at this level...

rudiments/rudimental history; drum set playing/drum set history; mallet percussion playing and history....the development of percussion pedagogy...NONE of this is irrelevant to what I do as a drummer.

Love it!!

Outstanding!

I think North American separates us from the Basel Swiss tradition, and the Scottish tradition of rudiments...and if memory serves me, the Socttish is influenced by the Basel
Excellent! Thank you for the knowledge! ;)

Back