Four Stroke Roll Lead Hand?

For the four-stroke roll I've always been more comfortable starting with my right hand (rlrL). It took me a long time to get the reverse direction comfortable at all. I haven't found any pattern with my students as far as which direction they prefer compared to their dominant hand. It seems random so far.

I'd also disagree that both hands need perfect balance in abilities (if this is about drum set). I'm sure it works for some people, but I've abandoned that concept and it has actually helped my playing. I just recognize that on the drum set my hands generally have different roles. My right hand has more speed and finesse for right hand patterns on cymbals, while my left hand more power for cranking consistent rim shots.
This is also a thought process and feeling Ive had regarding perfect left/right balance. It certainly couldn't hurt, and probably helps, but all my limbs are generally doing completely different things, even at different dynamic levels. But having the full range of my strong side on my weak side as well would be great, its just not going to happen. My right is very much stronger than my left and more agile, and everything good for drumming. Ive simply trained my borderline gimpy left to do a job the best it can, god bless its deficient soul. Ambidexterity would be killer on drums, but it simply isnt one of the gifts I was blessed with. I do have the best musical taste of anyone Ive come across tho ; )

This is also a thought process and feeling Ive had regarding perfect left/right balance. It certainly couldn't hurt, and probably helps, but all my limbs are generally doing completely different things, even at different dynamic levels. But having the full range of my strong side on my weak side as well would be great, its just not going to happen. My right is very much stronger than my left and more agile, and everything good for drumming. Ive simply trained my borderline gimpy left to do a job the best it can, god bless its deficient soul. Ambidexterity would be killer on drums, but it simply isnt one of the gifts I was blessed with. I do have the best musical taste of anyone Ive come across tho ; )
Yep. I'd also consider efficiency of practicing too, if you really run with this concept you could consider striving for symmetry to be wasted effort. The same can be said of trying to learn traditional and matched grip.

Yep. I'd also consider efficiency of practicing too, if you really run with this concept you could consider striving for symmetry to be wasted effort.

In the long run, achieving symmetry of ability on both sides improves form and therefore overall performance, in my experience.

Ambidexterity would be killer on drums,
It is. I am that lucky bastard who happens to be ambidextrous. I challenged myself as a kid to do everything as well lefty as I did righty. Writing took the longest, but I pulled it off.

It is. I am that lucky bastard who happens to be ambidextrous. I challenged myself as a kid to do everything as well lefty as I did righty. Writing took the longest, but I pulled it off.
I’ve been working on this for about 7 months. I switched from left-hand-lead to right hand in college for snare drum, but never really tried switching on drum set. However, the Covid lockdown has got me playing both open and closed-handed, on a lefty AND a righty kit. It’s been fun. It’s taking longer than I thought to get myself as good on my lefty kit as I am on my righty. It’s the feet that are holding me back, as usual. I’m just not a kit player, I’m really just a percussionist/timpanist who keeps getting called to play kit, so I keep practicing lol.

I’ve been working on this for about 7 months. I switched from left-hand-lead to right hand in college for snare drum, but never really tried switching on drum set. However, the Covid lockdown has got me playing both open and closed-handed, on a lefty AND a righty kit. It’s been fun. It’s taking longer than I thought to get myself as good on my lefty kit as I am on my righty. It’s the feet that are holding me back, as usual. I’m just not a kit player, I’m really just a percussionist/timpanist who keeps getting called to play kit, so I keep practicing lol.
Brush your teeth, open doors, eat and drink with your weak hand. You'd be amazed at how challenging those things are at first and then with how well it gets your brain to work things as a lefty.

The one that gets most people is how I will switch hands while throwing a ball or playing badminton/tennis and never miss.

It would be great to be a mediocre player from either side #lifegoals ; ) I am very jealous, but of no one in particular, just some guy...

Back