Open letter to all forum members

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Disclaimer: I'm pretty sure this will be removed. I received a letter from Johnny this morning and am posting my response.....The only reason for making this public is so those I've become friends with and those who've enjoyed my posts know why I'm gone

Today at 8:05 AM 10/11/2020
We need you to turn your filter up a notch. Post after post of nothing but off-subject sarcasm is making you enemies. Not sure whether you care or not but we mods are tired of baby sitting. Post on subject, or pass the thread by. Some threads are open to humor and that's fine, but your constant barrage of sarcasm has to stop. Please do your best to understand. There are many here with thin skin, and can't handle the comments. Thanks.
johnny

I'm used to backlash after 4 decades in broadcasting, but venture to say more people appreciate my honesty and humor than don't. If my opinions/responses are not wanted here, then far be it from me to increase your time "babysitting". I've made some good friends here and I'm sure a few people that wish I'd go away and not "bully" them. Like most of those responding to the BLOCKING PEOPLE thread said, you can always hit ignore if your skins too thin to understand not everyone is in agreement or into coddling your insecurities. I apologize if I've put any undo strain on your job as "mayor". Certainly not my intention. I can assure you I've filtered myself as much as I can without becoming a "bot". You never see foul language or inappropriate name calling and I stay as clear of political content as anyone else. I admit I do have a tendency to downplay and dispute others who think drumming is a science with need to dissect each and every stroke of a stick rather than enjoying the participation in music. That's my opinion and I share it pretty regularly. Not to disavow anyone's intelligent endeavors, but to stress that drumming/music is an art that involves application of the soul and feeling, not science. It's an opinion.
Anyway, I'll be retiring from DW for a while. Maybe longer. Relax and enjoy. JW

Sometimes you post some good stuff, however regularly your posts are snarky, condensing and sarcastic. Maybe that isn’t your intention and that’s your humour but that’s how it comes across sometimes.

Like it or not this is an established community and if you’re pulled up on your behaviour and people are admitting to putting you on ignore maybe they aren’t the ones with an issue.

Sorry you can’t obviously see that.

Your last post on the blocked thread was mean spirited and borderline on insulting. Now you’re throwing your toys out of the pram for being called out on it.

Hopefully you come back with a new attitude and thicker skin yourself.

We’re all drummers at the end of the day but you don’t get to call the shots or dictate how people should react to your posting style.

Regardless, I wish you well.

Last edited:
Well I always defend the administrators-cause they are all a bunch of super nice people "volunteering" to baby sit us. Think about that crap-I'd sooner eat my thumb. They have a lot of patience and let a lot slide however nip it in the bud when a problem and the occasion arises. The rules really are pretty clear. Plenty of us long timers have had comments deleted and reprimanded for getting carried away-sometimes a time out suggested-few are banned unless they just push themselves over the cliff so really ban themselves (most apologize for their errors and we move on).

I think we need guys like John around. To keep our skins thick. Everybody has purpose. You can't have positive without negative. Someone has to tow the negative line. Negative people are essential to the equation.

John, I'm not saying you're negative, but IMO you certainly represent the "negative" approach to this forum.

But negative is an essential half of the picture.

I subscribe to: Things are neither positive or negative, they are half of both, like everything. They just are, and we need them all.

I think we need guys like John around. To keep our skins thick. Everybody has purpose. You can't have positive without negative. Someone has to tow the negative line. Negative people are essential to the equation.

John, I'm not saying you're negative, but IMO you certainly represent the "negative" approach to this forum.

But negative is an essential half of the picture.

I subscribe to: Things are neither positive or negative, they are half of both, like everything. They just are, and we need them all.

As long as the negative people always agree with me, then I’m cool with that ?

I have never blocked, ignored or reported or complained about anyone here.
There are a couple who I have had thoughts about, and that thought was...scroll past their comments.
I also have apologized when it was appropriate because it's the right thing to do, because I was wrong.

As long as the negative people always agree with me, then I’m cool with that ?
The 'negative' has a distinguished pedigree in comedy - since when did Groucho Marx ever have anything positive to say?
Was he consistently hilarious? Yes.
There's more to this forum than a series of technical observations - there's the human interaction of a spectrum of personalities that makes it educational, compulsive and frequently very very funny indeed.
I find John's experience and worldweary perspective to be skilfully expressed and highly entertaining - to anyone with a sense of humour.
He might have been a little hard on an unsuspecting newbie - but that newbie has himself confessed to a pretty shambolic piece of video.
The stated rule for appropriate behaviour here is; 'act as if we are at a dinner party' - I find John the epitome of the great dinner party guest: the straight talking dry wit.
By contrast, there is at least one post on this thread that would sink any dinner party like a lead coffin...

Life is too short & far too unhinged. Especially at the moment. Everyone is going mad. Live & let live I say & any form of "Censorship" is a bad move IMO.
We all say & do things that others may not like or, agree with. That's life.

For the short time I have been here I always took John's comments as just his style of sense of humor. I have a friend whose sense of humor is similar and when some people first meet him they get put aback.
Looking at the situation from a moderators view, my take on the situation is, it is their job/website, their rules.
I hope John can find his way back, I did enjoy some of his posts.

Disclaimer: I'm pretty sure this will be removed. I received a letter from Johnny this morning and am posting my response.....The only reason for making this public is so those I've become friends with and those who've enjoyed my posts know why I'm gone

Today at 8:05 AM 10/11/2020
We need you to turn your filter up a notch. Post after post of nothing but off-subject sarcasm is making you enemies. Not sure whether you care or not but we mods are tired of baby sitting. Post on subject, or pass the thread by. Some threads are open to humor and that's fine, but your constant barrage of sarcasm has to stop. Please do your best to understand. There are many here with thin skin, and can't handle the comments. Thanks.
johnny

I'm used to backlash after 4 decades in broadcasting, but venture to say more people appreciate my honesty and humor than don't. If my opinions/responses are not wanted here, then far be it from me to increase your time "babysitting". I've made some good friends here and I'm sure a few people that wish I'd go away and not "bully" them. Like most of those responding to the BLOCKING PEOPLE thread said, you can always hit ignore if your skins too thin to understand not everyone is in agreement or into coddling your insecurities. I apologize if I've put any undo strain on your job as "mayor". Certainly not my intention. I can assure you I've filtered myself as much as I can without becoming a "bot". You never see foul language or inappropriate name calling and I stay as clear of political content as anyone else. I admit I do have a tendency to downplay and dispute others who think drumming is a science with need to dissect each and every stroke of a stick rather than enjoying the participation in music. That's my opinion and I share it pretty regularly. Not to disavow anyone's intelligent endeavors, but to stress that drumming/music is an art that involves application of the soul and feeling, not science. It's an opinion.
I’m pretty new to this site and have found it to be a fabulous collection of varied personalities. I sometimes wander down a rabbit hole as we can all do off topic trying to find humor in such a serious world with much chaos.
John you can come across as the grumpy old man sometimes but come on people grow up and let others express themselves how they are. Dinner party or no, I’ve never seen anything objectionable that is deserving of ejection. Unless I missed something egregious I don’t understand at all. If he’s banned for being off topic or snarky I’m not so sure this is what I thought it was. Maybe I’ll get banned but oh well.

I'll miss your candor - snarky or not.

I think a perfect utopia of a forum or a world is boring and I welcome the challenging posts from time to time.

We haven't agreed on everything - and that could be said of most of the people that post on here.

Still looking forward to you doing a patina on one of my drums and l hopefully you swing by again.

I had to do the same thing - take a bit off and come back during certain social movements that have become prevalent in 2020: but like anything - this place only has as much power over you as you let it.

It's a mellow casual place to talk shop : nothing more : nothing less.

I mostly thought you were just amping up or adopting a role of grumpy old man, maybe an outcome of being cooped up with a pandemic. Its up to everybody to have a filter....except for political nonsense that should not appear on here. There is always the ignore button too.

..By contrast, there is at least one post on this thread that would sink any dinner party like a lead coffin..

No idea if you mean mine, but i just quote this to clarify that i have nothing against John Wesley..

I just think is kinda childish to publicly announce your 'leaving' on an internet forum, after a sort of conflict with a mod..

But, regarding John Wesley himself, i occasionally have to laugh about him, sometimes get annoyed and thats kinda that..

With 1 thing he is right though, which is that at least he always comes across as being honest and i much rather deal with such people in my life, than with the creepy guy who reported me behind my back for something that literally never happened..

I like honest people, regardless if i agree with them or not..

But sneaky people, not too much..

Although discussing moderator - forum member PMs are also not suppopsed to happen, I'm not going to close this. It's funny or ironic to me to discuss thin skin, and then turn a simple request to tone it down a bit into a soap opera. The prime example of thin skin. John was not banned, as you can see, only asked to adjust his filter. Not a big deal. The forum should not come to the point where people have to "ignore" each other. The idea is to share. If you know for a fact that people have put you on ignore, I would think that would be a red flag, unless ones goal is to come on just to harrass people. I stand by my message to him and sorry he feels like he is being singled out. No one else would be aware had he not made it public. Drum on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back