Just spent 4+ hours cleaning the kit...

SomeBadDrummer

Platinum Member
Been raining all morning so I broke everything down and gave her a good cleaning. Including cymbals and stands. She’s all dressed up with nowhere to go...but ready for another workout.
Seems like they sound better when clean although that’s probably just my imagination running away with me. I know some people never clean cymbals but once they start turning green all bets are off.

Attachments

• EB00169B-BE68-44D4-99DA-3E2B28ECEB70.jpeg
    EB00169B-BE68-44D4-99DA-3E2B28ECEB70.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 76
Very nice! Now why is there an adjustable crescent wrench next to the kick spur? That is not a drum worthy tool lol.

It looks welcoming and sterilized. I'm obsessive about keeping my gear clean. Though I don't apply chemicals to cymbals, I wipe them down often and use a touch of dish soap on spots I can't erase with a dry cloth. Regular maintenance works much better than letting things get out of hand.

Very nice! Now why is there an adjustable crescent wrench next to the kick spur? That is not a drum worthy tool lol.
:) Totally agree but the arthritis in my hands sometimes says otherwise. It’s only used when my thumbs are feeling gimpy and I need a little leverage for tightening the tom mounts (y)

:) Totally agree but the arthritis in my hands sometimes says otherwise. It’s only used when my thumbs are feeling gimpy and I need a little leverage for tightening the tom mounts (y)
I totally understand. Everyone in my family has arthritis, I think I'm starting to get it myself. My poor grandmother can barely open her hands anymore.

Looks fantastic! (y)

I keep my stuff super clean and shiny too. Cymbals included. If I want to improve my cymbal sound, I buy different ones. I'd rather not rely on fingerprints and oxidation to do the job ?

I totally understand. Everyone in my family has arthritis, I think I'm starting to get it myself. My poor grandmother can barely open her hands anymore.
? Getting old(er) sucks. I’ll play until I can’t stand the pain. ? So for now I Grin and bear it for the love of making music and it keeps me off the streets

Looks fantastic! (y)

I keep my stuff super clean and shiny too. Cymbals included. If I want to improve my cymbal sound, I buy different ones. I'd rather not rely on fingerprints and oxidation to do the job ?
? So what’s up with the folks who say dirty cymbals sound better??? The amount of goop I cleaned off the 18” crash was disturbing, but now I can sleep knowing it’s in the trash (the goop, not the cymbal haha). Seriously, I think it must act as a dampener and literally change the tone and volume.

Good eye! CSI like! Had to look really close to see that.
I like shiny too...it distracts me (I was blonde when I was younger ya know).
Used to not take as good care of my guitar strings...That does affect sound.
Don't know about cymbals yet but I got bored and polished my top hi hat the other day and the cloth was mostly black!

Nice job. They look great. I too recently took the time to do some long needed "cleaning". Since I got my drums in 1975 I have quite literally "cleaned" them all of one time. Took some metal polish and polished up all the chrome and wiped down the wrap. That was probably 30 years ago. I just did it again last week when I put new heads on my kit for the first time in 40 years. New heads and gleaming chrome and I can't stop staring at my kit now. And they sound so much better with the Remo Pinstripes than the old Evans Blue Hydraulics that were on them for all those years. It turns out I really needed new heads as the outer ply of the bass drum head had cracked. I never noticed it before. Now the drums have nice tone and decent sustain. And they sound bigger for it. I didn't clean my cymbals though. I won't do that. I'm in the "never clean my cymbals" camp. That's just me.

It looks nice. I like those single-braced cymbal stands. Peace and goodwill.

Nice job. They look great. I too recently took the time to do some long needed "cleaning". Since I got my drums in 1975 I have quite literally "cleaned" them all of one time. Took some metal polish and polished up all the chrome and wiped down the wrap. That was probably 30 years ago. I just did it again last week when I put new heads on my kit for the first time in 40 years. New heads and gleaming chrome and I can't stop staring at my kit now. And they sound so much better with the Remo Pinstripes than the old Evans Blue Hydraulics that were on them for all those years. It turns out I really needed new heads as the outer ply of the bass drum head had cracked. I never noticed it before. Now the drums have nice tone and decent sustain. And they sound bigger for it. I didn't clean my cymbals though. I won't do that. I'm in the "never clean my cymbals" camp. That's just me.
Thanks! Upload a photo of your vintage kit if you have time, I’d love to see. ?
Okay... so I’m intrigued that you’re so excited to have a shiny clean kit that you can’t stop staring at it, but don’t want clean cymbals. What gives????

It looks nice. I like those single-braced cymbal stands. Peace and goodwill.
Thanks! This is a recent rebuilding of a set from scratch and the budget was limited to used stuff AND I don’t pound on the ride hard enough to knock it over even with a single. ? Over time I’ll continue to upgrade everything since I can’t seem to stop looking online for ‘new’ stuff like a kid in a candy store.? I need to self-suspend my eBay and reverb accounts for a while....

Last edited:
Thanks! Upload a photo of your vintage kit if you have time, I’d love to see. ?
Okay... so I’m intrigued that you’re so excited to have a shiny clean kit that you can’t stop staring at it, but don’t want clean cymbals. What gives????

It's all about the sound. I'm not willing to mess with how they sound. Comes from my jazz upbringing. I'd post a pic but I keep getting an error message saying the file is too large. But for some reason it took the picture for my avatar. So my current avatar pic is my newly cleaned kit with new heads.

Last edited:
It's all about the sound. I'm not willing to mess with how they sound. Comes from my jazz upbringing. I'd post a pic but I keep getting an error message saying the file is too large. But for some reason it took the picture for my avatar. So my current avatar pic is my newly cleaned kit with new heads.
Thanks your kit looks great. I know about the file size and asked the mayor about it. He suggested emailing to myself and saving it with reduced size...another hoop to jump through. But not too difficult so I did it.

Back