Your best 5 Paiste Cymbals

My favourite Set consists of: 14“ Dark Energy Hi-Hat, 17“ + 19“ Dark Energy Crash, 22“ Dark Energy Ride Mk 1.
I love them for their versatility.

For smaller venues I use: 14“ Dark Crisp Hi-Hats, 17“Signature Fast Crash,18“ Masters Dark Crash, 20“ Signature Dark Energy Ride Mk 1.

Other Paiste cymbals I own are: 22“ Dark Energy Ride Mk 2, 16“ Formula 602 Paperthin Crash, 17“ Dimension Medium Thin Crash, 18“ Modern Essentials Crash. I

Ok, so, I listen to the shout out by drum center of porthmouth and immediately I thought the 2002 and giant etc are too bright for me, even the 602 and 602 modern eesentials... Maybe I'm not a big fan of the bright more classic rock cymbals type.
Then, the dark energy seems to be my first pick, after that, I still hesitate between the signature, the master or the signature traditional....Maybe one crash for its brightest to go with my Sabian AAX Xplosion fast crash 18" or Xplosion crash 15"?? Still super bright, we play Funk/dance, and after that Pop and jazz, rarely Rock and never hard rock or heavy....
That said, if you check the list of my cymbals in my signature, do you think that the 3 or 4 lines I seem to like the best will mash/glue well with the cymbals I have? I think so, but let me know your opinion...
Sincerely

My faves and ages:

22” Paiste Blue Bell Ride
20” Paiste 1000 Rude Ride/Crash (30yrs old)
18” Paiste 1000 Rude Crash/Ride (30yrs old)
14” Paiste 2002 Sound Edge Hats
14” Paiste Alpha power hats (28yrs old)

Last edited:
Paiste Giant Beats. Done.

This... Plus a few more. I have at least one GB cymbal on just about every gig. I have the complete 18/20/24 with 15" hats. I also picked up a 19" multi that I like much more than the 18.
I also have GB 14" hats that are....eh.

Some other cymbals I own worth checking out, like others have mentioned;
--20" Formula 602 ride - Great medium weight ride, perfect balance, for me, of stick and wash.
--20" 2002 Ride - Heavier weight, brighter cymbal than the 602. More definition. Not nearly as bright and pingy in recordings or band settings as it sounds in person. A great ride with more definition and a beautiful "humming" wash underneath. They call it the "classic rock" sound ride. I think it's actually way more versatile than that.
--18" 2002 Crash - Not Medium Crash, not Thin Crash... just "Crash". To my ears, what a crash cymbal should sound like.
--Last but not least, 20" Formula 602 Flat Ride - Simply gorgeous! Excellent defined ping, perfect for low volume gigs.

My favs (so far) and my current set are:

15" Signature Sound Edge Hi Hats (I also loved the sound of the 15' 2oo2 Sound Edge hats. However, the sound of the Sigs just edged them out when I was putting together this set of cymbals. Someday, I hope to have both.)

16", 17", 18", and 19" 2oo2 Crashes (These to me are exactly what a crash cymbal sounds like in my head when I think of what a classic rock crash cymbal sounds like. What more could I possibly want? LOL)

21" Signature Dark Full Ride (This ride, and in particular this size, is the perfect combo for me. A classic ping and just a beautiful bell, with a slightly darker overall tone then the standard Full Ride. I don't know why Paiste ever discontinued them, as they have a habit of doing with awesome rides, but I'm glad that I got mine before they did.)

This... Plus a few more. I have at least one GB cymbal on just about every gig. I have the complete 18/20/24 with 15" hats. I also picked up a 19" multi that I like much more than the 18.

Hmm, I forgot they made a 19" multi. Do you think it sounds different enough from the 20" to replace an 18"?

Hmm, I forgot they made a 19" multi. Do you think it sounds different enough from the 20" to replace an 18"?
Personally, I do. Yeah. The 19" just has a little more body, a little more presence than the 18". I think it pairs nicely with either one actually. I've used the 18 and 19 on gigs and also the 19 and the 20.

If you can't get to a selection to audition in person, I recommnd you spend some time on their website to do a comparison.
Listening to the sound samples with hedphones or speakers turned up will give you a pretty good idea. Also, using the "soundroom' feature will allow you create a set of cymbals for comparison purposes.

I've been playing Paiste's for decades, these are some of them. The collection has since doubled. They're like rabbits.

DSC_0578.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have a diverse knowledge of Paiste, but if you like 16" crashes, I have both the 2002 and the Signature Full Crash in 16" size. Both are really good, and quite different. I like that you don't have to bash them to get a nice shimmery sound.

Personally, I do. Yeah. The 19" just has a little more body, a little more presence than the 18". I think it pairs nicely with either one actually. I've used the 18 and 19 on gigs and also the 19 and the 20.
One of my sets use the 19” multi as a primarily as a ride

Most important thing to know about Paiste: Stewart Copeland.
I rest my case.

Interesting alchemy on Paiste's part
Thus the patent. You make some Merlin type wizard metal, you keep that receipe a secret. Hidden in Al Gore's lock box, under the Yeti's pillow, guarded by manbearpig.

Back