Beater weight issue..

Dude! Go see a doctor and get yourself an x-ray. Today!

Can't... costs too much.. i will heal eventually :) Last 3 weeks though i sit at the kit for 10 mins then spend hours on the floor, i thinks it's from twisting my core when playing to reach the floor tom and all that.. Going to take it easy and heal up.. sucks cause drumming is literally the only thing i enjoy in life. wah :)

Can't... costs too much.. i will heal eventually :) Last 3 weeks though i sit at the kit for 10 mins then spend hours on the floor, i thinks it's from twisting my core when playing to reach the floor tom and all that.. Going to take it easy and heal up.. sucks cause drumming is literally the only thing i enjoy in life. wah :)
That sucks. Maybe run a stripped down kit for now?

Go to the ER. They have to see you. Tell them you crashed your bike, and you think something is broken. If you dont have $$$ or insurance or either, hospitals usually have forms you can fill out that mitigate the cost. You dont need to suffer or walk around broken for the rest of your life.

Go to the ER. It will only get worse until you do.

Huh? I don't understand. Why would you have to pay for that?
Clearly you don't live in the US.

Actually, I just clicked your profile link, and it looks like you're only a couple minutes from me (I'm in West LA). Since you're in Westwood, are you a UCLA student? If so, it shouldn't cost anything to see the doctor and get x-rays. But if you're not a student and you don't have healthcare... well I won't get into that here, given how political everything has become recently. But suffice it to say, it can get pretty pricey.

Clearly you don't live in the US.
I do live in the U.S., although I am originally from Canada. Regardless, if he doesn't have health care through an employer, couldn't he have gotten it via the ACA? Heck, even without coverage, an x-ray wouldn't cost much if you tell them you're paying cash.

I do live in the U.S., although I am originally from Canada. Regardless, if he doesn't have health care through an employer, couldn't he have gotten it via the ACA? Heck, even without coverage, an x-ray wouldn't cost much if you tell them you're paying cash.
10 years ago, my girlfriend at the time got her toe caught in a closing door and it ripped her toenail off. She had just switched jobs and her new insurance hadn't kicked in yet. She had to go to the ER and get x-rays, and I think the bill came out to around $700. Luckily she was okay and her toenail grew back, but it wasn't exactly what I'd call cheap.

Are you in Westwood? That's what your profile says.

Yes, just south of Westwood near Santa Monica Blvd and Westwood Blvd. Not for long though. I may be moving to either Orange County or Phoenix, Arizona in a few months.
Drive about 2 miles west down Santa Monica Blvd. and that's where I am. We're practically neighbors! At least for the time being.

Anyway, sorry i mentioned the health stuff.. it will heal..

So.. i remember last night and weighed my beaters.. DW 101g, Vintage bomber 85g, generic felt that came with my drumnetics pedal 90g..

I am getting used to the DW, will build my leg up and i like the sound of it.. so no big thing. thanks guys :)

I have the Tama Iron Cobra beaters on my DW5k double (I hated the ice cubes DW uses), & have the drum key shaft weights you can slide up & down. This allows me to customize how each beater feels.
For single pedals, I love my Low Boy leather beater. Such punch & power.

After spending a few weeks with the new beater i'm about 90% back where i was, i fatigue much easier but it will build up.. thanks for the advice guys.

So, being a fairly new drummer (6 years) i never put much thought into beaters, i have used a few vintage bombers since i started playing. Recently i bought a DW 2 sided rubber/felt beater. I have never put anything thought into beater weight at all but since getting this beater i cannot pull off triples on the bass pretty much at all, and doubles i had to work back up.

My main question is, is it the heavier beater that is giving me the issue, or is it me just needing to build up to be able to do the same stuff with a heavier beater? It just feels kind of sluggish to me now. I LOVE the sound of the felt side though.. Should i build up my leg and hope it gets better or just cut the rubber side off on a bandsaw since the sound is kind of bad anyway..

I had never even thought about different weights of beaters, seems there is always more to learn :)
People really over look the weight of the beater. Some are lighter. The DW beater you are referring to is a fairly heavy beater. I keep a number of beaters on hand to swap out on some pedals. There is a balance that needs to paid attention too. The relationship between weight of the beater and where you set the length of the beater shaft is important. Not to forget the role of the amount spring tension, beater angle, footboard height also plays in finding your balance with the pedal.

Maybe a chiropractor would be more affordable? If something is moving that means a clean break, and those don't heal right without setting. But who am I to talk? I'm speaking from experience; multiple bad, crooked messed up healed bones here.

Back