Jazz - Keith Jarrett Standards II - Love letters

Auspicious

Silver Member
I feel like sharing this today.. I bought this DVD for myself about 8 years ago, to improve the audio quality from Youtube, at least , and I listened to this record almost every week since then.. (every months at least) it never gets old for me, the quality of the work is simply so high.

There is so much to watch in the video , Keith Jarrett's pain faces are awesome and often I'll laugh like a little kid while looking at him playing the Piano.

The drum solo from 4:40 to 6:00 minutes.. that's one of my favorite of all time. The wrist, the hand and fingers motion on the ride cymbal, the fluid and extra loose left hand on the snare.. it blows me away. Obviously the drums and the cymbals themselves, the sound is amazing.

Somewhere in the video, we can see the angle of the beater on the bass drum head, it's wider then 90 degrees, contrary to what I learned here a couple of weeks ago where it was question to raise the front the the bass drum to get the exact 90d angle.

The beater hits a bit above the center to get more tonality possibly.

Great great drum solo.

I hope at least 1 person will listen to the video and enjoy it.

That's some great musicianship from all three. Don't understand why some people don't like jazz. I guess it's just too complicated for them to comprehend. KJ kind of looks to have had a broken arm at one time and it didn't heal correctly. Or, maybe he just like to contort to the music. Thanks for posting.

That's some great musicianship from all three. Don't understand why some people don't like jazz. I guess it's just too complicated for them to comprehend. KJ kind of looks to have had a broken arm at one time and it didn't heal correctly. Or, maybe he just like to contort to the music. Thanks for posting.

Hey JohnWestley, glad you liked the video! The thread is already a great success!

I think people must watch their cellphones too much, that's my universal answer to everything now. :ROFLMAO: (or for all people related issues)

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a solo like that. It was mostly if not all comping. Jack DeJohnette’s right hand on that ride... so relaxed and fast.

Do you ever find Keith’s vocals distracting? Sometimes I wish he was a little more quiet, sometimes I get into it. :unsure:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a solo like that. It was mostly if not all comping. Jack DeJohnette’s right hand on that ride... so relaxed and fast.

Do you ever find Keith’s vocals distracting? Sometimes I wish he was a little more quiet, sometimes I get into it. :unsure:

At first I was annoyed by him singing, many people complain about that. But he does that.. I accepted it over time, it's part of his signature.

The right hand is simply amazing.. this video is a great tutorial gift. In terms of jazz ride pattern style, jack Dejohnette and Roy Haynes they are my favorite drummers, no doubt. Others are awesome too but these 2.. wow!

It's a shame we spend so much of the solo watching Gary wait to come back in.

I find it funny how they stay on the camera that is focused on Gary for much of Jack's solo. ?

In my opinion, It's probably filmed by a Japanese crew, it's typical of the Japanese people to focus on very subtle details for very long time. They are details nuts.

They have something there with Gary Peacock, he looks annoyed a bit, the comping solo is obviously too long for him. :ROFLMAO:

That's why I love these videos, they capture the attitude of these superstars of jazz.

Aaaw, good one - new to me, thanks for posting!

I remember when the Standards Vol.1 album came out - it turned a LOT of heads, and I listened to hardly anything else for months. To this day, their version of "God Bless The Child" remains one of my favorite recordings of all time.
Jack is my number one influence by far.

Aaaw, good one - new to me, thanks for posting!

I remember when the Standards Vol.1 album came out - it turned a LOT of heads, and I listened to hardly anything else for months. To this day, their version of "God Bless The Child" remains one of my favorite recordings of all time.
Jack is my number one influence by far.

Allright! glad you appreciate the music and you discovered something new! You should definitely check out the DVD of standards II, it's different form Standard 1 but it's worth the money. Youtube cut's too much of the sound quality in my opinion.

Jack what a great great drummer. :giggle:

If you have time, listen to this track, it's fusion style, very different then the music with Keith Jarrett. I listen to this one almost every day since 3 weeks.

Jack Dejohnette
Music for the fifth world - Miles

The right hand is simply amazing.. this video is a great tutorial gift. In terms of jazz ride pattern style, jack Dejohnette and Roy Haynes they are my favorite drummers, no doubt. Others are awesome too but these 2.. wow!
Yeah, one thing apparent in that DeJohnette closeup is, the finger technique in that fast ride bebop pattern almost demands a cymbal that is tilted (vs flat). Tony Williams, Peter Erskine, John Riley, Marcus Gilmore, eg all play this kind of jazz and they all have that tilted ride.

Yeah, one thing apparent in that DeJohnette closeup is, the finger technique in that fast ride bebop pattern almost demands a cymbal that is tilted (vs flat). Tony Williams, Peter Erskine, John Riley, Marcus Gilmore, eg all play this kind of jazz and they all have that tilted ride.

Ah yeah totally I agree, tilt is required.

In a previous thread about the uneven weight of my ride cymbal, I was confused when people told me to set it flat, to play exactly a ride pattern like Mr. DeJohnette.. unlikely if not impossible.

I wrongfully thought that a tilt for the ride was standard practice and even the only way to go... but now I see that a flat position ride is also very popular for other styles of music probably.

Very interesting.

Funny because last week I noticed the tilt of Roy Hayne's ride in this old video, it's a bit more pronounced then jack Dejohnette.

3Qlgpor.png

Last edited:
Back