Favorite plastic/felt beater?

drummom

Drummer boy wore out one of his base drum beater on his double base pedal (they were pretty used when we got it used) and said he prefers the plastic/felt combination. What will last the longest? And, most reasonably priced? Is it best to replace both on a double base drum pedal or one ok? Last one I got him was all felt and he said he wanted the combination one. He likes a strong clear sound.

Thanks!!

Drummer boy wore out one of his base drum beater on his double base pedal (they were pretty used when we got it used) and said he prefers the plastic/felt combination. What will last the longest? And, most reasonably priced? Is it best to replace both on a double base drum pedal or one ok? Last one I got him was all felt and he said he wanted the combination one. He likes a strong clear sound.

Thanks!!
Combo sounds like what he prefers; I’d replace both at the same time. I’m old fashioned and whilst I flirted with wooden beaters for a while, my favourites are the standard felt beaters with a kick patch on the batter head:
1600209411347.jpeg

That kind is what i got last time and he said he wants the other kind that is half plastic/half felt. I did get a patch after having to replace the base head. Thankfully a few folks on here taught me that one when I asked about the best base head (which he loves).

That kind is what i got last time and he said he wants the other kind that is half plastic/half felt. I did get a patch after having to replace the base head. Thankfully a few folks on here taught me that one when I asked about the best base head (which he loves).
Get him the combo! (y) :) 1600210133988.jpeg

Thanks but there are several different kinds/brands. Trying to figure out which brand/one is "best."

Thanks!!

I personally love the pearl eliminator redline beaters

I use Pearl pedals and duo beaters, and they are half plastic half felt. The plastic is awesome. Its plenty hard, wont flat spot like felt can, and is lighter than the wood beaters I had. Plus it has a felt side.

Replace them both. You will have to eventually anyways.

Thanks but there are several different kinds/brands. Trying to figure out which brand/one is "best."
No real "best one" ..... just about all the major companies make 'em. Maybe whatever brand his pedal is .... look to them.

No real "best one" ..... just about all the major companies make 'em. Maybe whatever brand his pedal is .... look to them.

I think he has the DW 5000 - I'd have to look but they are older as I got it used (per the suggestion here vs. cheaper new ones).

I did get a patch after having to replace the base head. Thankfully a few folks on here taught me that one when I asked about the best base head (which he loves).
Whenever I read that someone has worn out their felt beaters I think to myself: how can that be? I‘ve used the same felt beater for decades and it got dirty but didn‘t wore out. Until one day on a house kit I learned that the black nylon patch from Evans eats felt beaters within moments. So once again my warning to all: Don’t use felt beaters if a black nylon patch is on the head! If you want to use felt don‘t use the black nylon patches! Use the clear patches instead from Evans or the falams from Remo. If you want to save money use a patch made of an old 10mil head fixed with Gaffa. Did that long before the patches came up and never lost a head.

Whenever I read that someone has worn out their felt beaters I think to myself: how can that be? I‘ve used the same felt beater for decades and it got dirty but didn‘t wore out. Until one day on a house kit I learned that the black nylon patch from Evans eats felt beaters within moments. So once again my warning to all: Don’t use felt beaters if a black nylon patch is on the head! If you want to use felt don‘t use the black nylon patches! Use the clear patches instead from Evans or the falams from Remo. If you want to save money use a patch made of an old 10mil head fixed with Gaffa. Did that long before the patches came up and never lost a head.
Aquarian kick pads are also cool! (y) :)

I love the leather bass drum impact patches from tackle.

I love the look and feel even if it’s only me who sees it. I bought the leather hoop protectors too. And leather washers.

I think we have the black one (I'd have to go look) but we put it on before we were warned against it. One beater is new, one came with the used pedals so no idea age. The newer one looks fine but it makes sense to get a matching set at this point and keep a spare. Thank you! I'm learning.

I just had a DW dual sided show up today, was a little cheaper than the pearl.. can't wait to get home and try it.

Back