Philly Joe Jones trading 4s

These fills are real pleasure to listen too WiT.

Drumming is Jazz. :)

I dig !

Oh and your drum has a great sound too.

I saw this on Larry's FB page. I dig! Very sweet playing.

Plus, those Roger's drums - damn!

you guys are kind ... thank you

Philly Joe was the master of phrasing.
You can always hear how much he is listening to those around him... he quotes them regularly and blatantly.
An improvisational master.

I've really been having a great time trying to really understand and absorb his dialect

it's crazy how his phrasing can be so easy and pleasing to the ears while at the same time make your hands feel like they are in a fishing net when you try to play them ... incredible

a work in progress

you guys are kind ... thank you

Philly Joe was the master of phrasing.
You can always hear how much he is listening to those around him... he quotes them regularly and blatantly.
An improvisational master.

I've really been having a great time trying to really understand and absorb his dialect

it's crazy how his phrasing can be so easy and pleasing to the ears while at the same time make your hands feel like they are in a fishing net when you try to play them ... incredible

a work in progress

Ah this is great!

I am not very familiar with Philly Joe Jones, I wonder WhoIsTony, do you have a specific suggestion of disc I should listen to including some amazing phrasing?

Ah this is great!

I am not very familiar with Philly Joe Jones, I wonder WhoIsTony, do you have a specific suggestion of disc I should listen to including some amazing phrasing?
among my favorites are

Miles Davis-Milestones
Hank Mobley-No Room For Squares
Sonny Clark-Cool Struttin
John Coltrane-Blue Train
Sonny Rollins-Tenor Madness
... all of those records are fire top to bottom

Swinging it as always, brother. Philly Jo is one of the guys I've studied hard over the years. His stuff is deceivingly difficult to cover and you did it great!

among my favorites are

Miles Davis-Milestones
Hank Mobley-No Room For Squares
Sonny Clark-Cool Struttin
John Coltrane-Blue Train
Sonny Rollins-Tenor Madness
... all of those records are fire top to bottom

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll start listening to these albums soon I hope! :)

start with the Sonny Clark record ... probably the easiest to digest
superb musicianship on that record
Cool Struttin is such a good album. You turned me onto that one as well and it's in the rotation!

I remember... that was years ago now.
hope you are well brother
Somewhere along the line mostly from listening to and studying your suggestions, I've gotten to where I can fake my way through on some of the jazz jams that come up(or used to come up:(), and people actually asked to play again! It's huge to be pointed in the right direction.

Me? I've had better days but I think that's a lot of us right now. Getting through it and I hope you're doing the same.

Back