Traded the Dubs for a Tama Star Walnut

Coolio!
What finish did you go with?

You won't be disappointed. Got this beast last month:

View attachment 95858
View attachment 95859

Wow. Those look great. Would be the finish I would choose if I wanted a Walnut kit and could justify the 4k~ price tag. haha

Edit: Oh nvm.. Star walnut only runs $3800 USD street for the pre-configured shell pack. Makes me question why the SC maple (China) shot up to $3200 for the exact same sizes in an exotic finish. Legitimately wonder if they're planning to re-release Japanese made starclassics to the states to avoid US tarrifs on chinese goods.

China and Japan recently got these. Exotic MIJ Finish options.

http://www.tama.com/cn/products/drum_kits/starclassic_maple_japan_exotic_drumkit.html
http://www.tama.com/cn/products/snare_drums/starclassic_maple_japan_exotic_snare.html I first saw these on Ikebe (Japanese store) last week.

I was actually pricing how much it would cost to ship a store inventory MIJ starclassic to the states. Ironically its around the same price as the 2020 Exotic MIC kit at current US street price.

Crazy. /Tinfoil hat.

Last edited:
Funny, Long and Mc Quade WINNIPEG is my shop too, which One In Canada did You Buy it from? I was thinking to Oder one too same as you but with also a 13", I would still hesitate on the finish, maybe the one that was presented by DCP Porthmouth New Jersey on their video of the comparison between the 3 star drums.... I have a Snare star reserve solid maple 14'x 5' that is awesome and the new Star reserve solid sedan 14"x6.5", so, the snares are here, just need the cash to order the "rest".... I Have a Tama star though, 1973 maple...!!! Already great drums...Good choice and good purchase at LMQ.... I didn't know it was a 6 m'ont wait, holy cow...

Last edited:
Funny, Long and Mc Quade WINNIPEG is my shop too, which One In Canada did You Buy it from? I was thinking to Oder one too same as you but with also a 13", I would still hesitate on the finish, maybe the one that was presented by DCP Porthmouth New Jersey on their video of the comparison between the 3 star drums.... I have a Snare star reserve solid maple 14'x 5' that is awesome and the new Star reserve solid sedan 14"x6.5", so, the snares are here, just need the cash to order the "rest".... I Have a Tama star though, 1973 maple...!!! Already great drums...Good choice and good purchase at LMQ.... I didn't know it was a 6 m'ont wait, holy cow...

I deal with a store about 45 minutes south east of Vancouver. They have a Light indigo Sen finish In stock on the wall, but it’s not my ‘favourite’. It’s a four piece shell pack for $5500 (Canadian).There’s a Charcoal Sen Kit in Edmonton from what i’m told. If memory serves me, the Walnut Kit in the DCP video was Dark Mocha. Ya, it’s around 6 months for it to be built and come from Japan, maybe a little less. They usually go with the latest arrival date, so if it turns up sooner, then we’re happy.

Last edited:
Wow. Those look great. Would be the finish I would choose if I wanted a Walnut kit and could justify the 4k~ price tag. haha

Edit: Oh nvm.. Star walnut only runs $3800 USD street for the pre-configured shell pack. Makes me question why the SC maple (China) shot up to $3200 for the exact same sizes in an exotic finish. Legitimately wonder if they're planning to re-release Japanese made starclassics to the states to avoid US tarrifs on chinese goods.

China and Japan recently got these. Exotic MIJ Finish options.

http://www.tama.com/cn/products/drum_kits/starclassic_maple_japan_exotic_drumkit.html
http://www.tama.com/cn/products/snare_drums/starclassic_maple_japan_exotic_snare.html I first saw these on Ikebe (Japanese store) last week.

I was actually pricing how much it would cost to ship a store inventory MIJ starclassic to the states. Ironically its around the same price as the 2020 Exotic MIC kit at current US street price.

Crazy. /Tinfoil hat.

Not sure bout the MIC & MIJ pricing differences, but I did get a quote last year to have a Starclassic Bubinga made and shipped to me. It was also over $3K, mostly due to the CITES restrictions on Bubinga and now all Starclassic Bubinga kits are overpriced.

Not sure bout the MIC & MIJ pricing differences, but I did get a quote last year to have a Starclassic Bubinga made and shipped to me. It was also over $3K, mostly due to the CITES restrictions on Bubinga and now all Starclassic Bubinga kits are overpriced.

I got lucky. The StarClassic Bubinga Kit I’m picking up tomorrow retailed at $3700 Canadian, and I got it for $2400. I was hoping to get an add on Floor Tom for it, but no go.

I got lucky. The StarClassic Bubinga Kit I’m picking up tomorrow retailed at $3700 Canadian, and I got it for $2400. I was hoping to get an add on Floor Tom for it, but no go.
That's my one beef with TAMA. It is extremely difficult to add drums to their off the rack configurations.

That's my one beef with TAMA. It is extremely difficult to add drums to their off the rack configurations.
They ship ‘em over here and bro’s on the forum alert you to the right size in the right finish on Reverb, eBay or CL. ?

0B07B7BD-8EB4-4BAE-8430-44946DE3F20E.jpeg

You make it sound so easy. Doesn't match my experience.
I hear ya. There are dozens (hundreds?) of single toms on various sites. Conspiracy theorists believe Tama sends ‘em over here like chum in the water.

Back