Mics for Drums (Least expensive) method?

I wanted to know can we get a good recording from one mic? If we can, then which mic to use and how to set it up around the kit. Is there any alternative without a mic?

There's a variety of compact recorders with built in stereo condenser mic's you can pick up for modest money (especially used). Mounted either in the overhead position, or out front of the kit depending on your room / setup will capture a reasonable balance with some experimentation.

Place it 32" (2 drumsticks) above your snare drum. It must be a condenser or ribbon (actually some dynamic might work but that's another story), and it will be in mono. A bass drum mic would be a welcome addition.

Yamaha EAD-10. Single trigger box for the kick with twin stereo mics for the top. Comes with an interface that has ALL kinds of bells & whistles for under $500.
Spend the extra $50 for the spare trigger. You'll thank me later.

It must be a condenser or ribbon (actually some dynamic might work but that's another story), and it will be in mono. A bass drum mic would be a welcome addition.

Technically, a ribbon mic is a dynamic mic. I love ribbons on drums / rooms but be aware of their polar patterns. Most ribbons are figure 8, so if you're placing it above a drum set, think about how the ceiling will interact with it. For instance, if you have a low ceiling, you may not want to put a fig 8 up there.

If you want a good directional ribbon mic, the Beyer M160 is great (albeit a little pricey.)

In general, I think fewer mics on a drum kit is a good thing. Less chance of phase issues, less money to spend, etc.

Good luck! (y)

Technically, a ribbon mic is a dynamic mic. I love ribbons on drums / rooms but be aware of their polar patterns. Most ribbons are figure 8, so if you're placing it above a drum set, think about how the ceiling will interact with it. For instance, if you have a low ceiling, you may not want to put a fig 8 up there.

If you want a good directional ribbon mic, the Beyer M160 is great (albeit a little pricey.)

In general, I think fewer mics on a drum kit is a good thing. Less chance of phase issues, less money to spend, etc.

Good luck! (y)
And Glyn Johns sound!

Back