What's your latest purchase?

A quick follow-up to my earlier post. The 16" K Sweet hats are unbelievably great! Like, seriously good hi-hats ?

If I had to sum them up in one word it would be: Effortless.

Generally speaking, when I play I'm "mixing" myself to balance kick drum, snare drum and cymbals relative to each other. I pay special attention to my hi-hats because it's easy (for me) to get carried away with them. Not so with the K Sweets. They are spot-on no matter how I play them.

They weren't cheap but they're worth it to me. Completely satisfied!

View attachment 95488
Interesting. They are very fine sounding and very expensive too. Seems to me once u get into top tier territory its all down to personal taste and need. In my un-miced cover band I think the loudness, brashness even of my recently aquired New Beats is probably more appropriate but if I was fully miced...these would be stellar.

Tama Starclassic Bubinaga In Flat burgundy Metallic. 10”,12”,16” & 22”. Old stock that didn’t sell, so at a 32% discount, I could not pass that up. Should be here in a week.

Congrats ! Pics when it arrives ??. I was looking at some NOS Bubinga kits when I was searching for a kit but they were ridiculously overpriced .

Im always amazed when I see members of the forum finding amazing deals like this . Especially on discontinued gear like tama bb kits . I got a used 6 piece bb in mint condition at a decent price, but theres an identical kit to mine on reverb that with shipping would be $1,300 more than I paid and I believe it’s actually more than when new ?. I’d expect the price to come down on it as I can’t see someone paying that but you never know ??‍♂️. I always hear it’s a buyers market but when looking at new and used gear ,... generallyI’ve not really seen this to be true. But then again guys here find a great deal every now and again ?

Last edited:
Interesting. They are very fine sounding and very expensive too. Seems to me once u get into top tier territory its all down to personal taste and need. In my un-miced cover band I think the loudness, brashness even of my recently aquired New Beats is probably more appropriate but if I was fully miced...these would be stellar.
It will be interesting to hear what miking these will be like but I suppose I'll have to wait a while to find out.

In the meantime, they're superb without any amplification. The thinness of the top cymbal combined with the large surface area is proving to be a dynamite combo. Playing them on the inner surface yields a traditional hi-hat sound while playing the outer portion is a whole new ballgame as far as sounds go.

Super versatile hats if anybody is thinking about picking up a pair. (y)

Today’s 75 dollar find.

90’s (I think) Ludwig Black Galaxy Arcolite 14x5

Shell is in perfect condition, as are the lugs!

I completely disassembled it and cleaned it top to bottom. I had a Ludwig 85AC laying around so installed. Unfortunately I had to order a new butt plate because I hate the stock one and my P35 doesn’t fit.
Threw on some leather washers for the tension rods and pure sound snare wires

Just ordered some new hoops as well. I hate when rims are pitted. It’s a pit peave of mine you could say.

But spent less then a 100. Always wanted an acrolite for my collection

AB0B2A88-6637-42E1-B6B3-6A52720D7A22.jpeg

New heads all around, a pack of drumtacs, and a falam slam is on order.

aSYlzVN.jpg

Received my Behringer X Air XR18 today. So far so good but it has so many options it’s a bit overwhelming B01429AB-B747-4798-BD36-AC0B11A15677.jpeg

Picked this up yesterday. Never seen one before. 1977 uncatalogued lacquer over brass Supraphonic. The last ones documented (model LM401) were in the 1960 catalog. No B or BR stamp, just a sticker on the inside "Seamless Brass Shell". All original except for heads. Unknown how many exist.

Lacquered Brass Supra.jpg
Seamless Brass shel.jpg

My local shop got in this Noble and Cooley CD Maples Kit in Honey Maple gloss lacquer ( my favourite finish ) in my preferred configuration 20/12/14 and we negotiate a fantastic deal , so home it came with me .
Superb drums , perfect bearing edges and that great maple sound . Been awhile since I had a 100% Maple Kit .

Attachments

• B6F38312-16C4-48B3-831B-668E3F2D7FDF.jpeg
    B6F38312-16C4-48B3-831B-668E3F2D7FDF.jpeg
    940.3 KB · Views: 18
My local shop got in this Noble and Cooley CD Maples Kit in Honey Maple gloss lacquer ( my favourite finish ) in my preferred configuration 20/12/14 and we negotiate a fantastic deal , so home it came with me .
Superb drums , perfect bearing edges and that great maple sound . Been awhile since I had a 100% Maple Kit .
You can't go wrong w/ maple. ;)

Taken a chance on a cheap Zultan 10" splash and clamp. Great reviews and sound sample sounds really nice...splashy and not gongy.

Today’s 75 dollar find.

90’s (I think) Ludwig Black Galaxy Arcolite

No way! I just got a 90s Black Galaxy Acrolite too! I got it for free from this dude who was getting rid of some drum equipment. I promise I’m not trying to one up you. Just pointing out the weird coincidence that we each got such a good deal on the same item so closely in time.

Today I pulled the trigger on a pair of Sony MDR7506, I listen to music all the time at the job, I was fed up with my Lo-Fi pair. At home they will help me studying drum solos of songs were the drum recording is very low or when the engineer puts it far away in the background with not too much resolution.. So Instead of cranking my speakers to listen to a section 15 times in a row. :)

I figured it was time to get good headphones.

fcWKtLy.png

I had one similar pair in the past and they were very good headphones with more then enough RMS watts, clean and pure sound, no special filters. I hope these will be as good as my previous pair.

Can't wait to try them.

Back