Cymbal pack dilemma

Fritz Frigursson

I am looking into buying a new set of cymbals since I currently use someone else’s that they let others use at the studio space I rent with a few other guys. I am fairly decided on Zildjian K cymbals since I have the most experience with them and I enjoy their sound more than As or S’ (I also tried UFIP cymbals and some HHX cymbals but there are inconsistencies there with some cymbal I like and others I don’t).

I am set on 15” K Light hats, 18” K Dark Medium Thin crash and a K Sweet 21” ride. That plus a decent bag will run me 1250 at my local store. Then I discovered there is a cymbal pack with 15” K Light hats, 17 and 19” Dark Thin crashes and a 20” Crash Ride for 1000 which I think is a crazy deal. I could just add the sweet ride and the price goes to 1300 (the crash ride is not ideal for me) which is a little higher than the 1250 euro 3 piece set, has 2 more cymbals BUT I miss out on the crash because I prefer a medium thin compared to a thin crash, and the 17” is bugging me a little. It isn’t a dealbreaker but it is a little less than ideal. I could always trade in the 17” later for an 18” medium thin down the road and pay a few extra euros in the trade but I want to get things right the first time. The crash ride is OK and I could always use it as a secondary ride or a crash.

Should I get the pre-configured pack plus a ride of my choice or should I just pick out the cymbals i really want even if I’m missing out on 2 cymbals? Insane how 2 K series cymbals are worth 50 euros in this case.

I picked a DCP set called the "Kolossal K"

Was about $1k for 15" K Light hats, 24" K-Light ride, 18/20 K-Dark Thin crashes.

I'd ping someone like Shane from DCP to see if they can put together a custom pack, or scour the net for an exclusive pack that matches your preferences.

-- Just realized you were in the EU.... Might make things difficult.

Here's another option with 17"/19" K Thin crashes, 15" K Light Hats and a 22" K Light Ride. I bought this very pack a couple years ago for my gigging kit. It really is a great setup for about $950.

Here's another option with 17"/19" K Thin crashes, 15" K Light Hats and a 22" K Light Ride. I bought this very pack a couple years ago for my gigging kit. It really is a great setup for about $950.

We have limited sets in Europe, the only K sets we have are the K promo, K country, K darkbox, K worship and the K custom hybrid one

between these i like the country pack the most but even that has issues I addressed in my post.

Was about $1k for 15" K Light hats, 24" K-Light ride, 18/20 K-Dark Thin crashes.

I'd ping someone like Shane from DCP to see if they can put together a custom pack, or scour the net for an exclusive pack that matches your preferences.

Yeah we only get a few packs here, the K promo, K darkbox, K country, K worship and K custom Hybrid.

I've never really understood the professional-level packs. Beginner-level stuff, sure, you need a ride, crash, hats...boom done!

But I'd imagine most anyone looking to spend over $1000 on cymbals would be discriminating enough to want to pick each cymbal for themselves, especially something as variable as K. Zildjians. In addition to not being in control of the specific models in the pack, you aren't in control of the specific cymbals of each model either. It's probably not a gamble I'd take, but who knows, they might sound amazing...

Are you able to buy from the US and have them shipped? Or would that be too expensive?

Although the prices in the US seem to be lower, with shipping and everything it gets way more expensive!

I've never really understood the professional-level packs. Beginner-level stuff, sure, you need a ride, crash, hats...boom done!

But I'd imagine most anyone looking to spend over $1000 on cymbals would be discriminating enough to want to pick each cymbal for themselves, especially something as variable as K. Zildjians. In addition to not being in control of the specific models in the pack, you aren't in control of the specific cymbals of each model either. It's probably not a gamble I'd take, but who knows, they might sound amazing...

When i picked up drumming again in 2011 the only cymbals i had left were a Meinl Classics 18" Powerful crash and 10" mini hats. I didn't know what i wanted, except pro cymbals. Even then i had expensive taste and getting hats/2 crashes/ride was really expensive. So the packs that were available were quite a money saver! From all that were around, i found that the Zildjian A-Zildjian pack sounded the best (14" new beats, 21 sweet ride, 16 and 18" MT crashes). Took a gamble without trying them, but did a lot of comparison online with vids/sound files and these sounded pretty close. Anyway, i was set and added another crash (18" crash of doom). I still do this when i want a new cymbal; check out files, order it, play it to see if i like it and otherwise i send it back... which has never happened, because i always like the cymbal that i get.

I'd also take a look at various Turkish brands like Zultan, Istanbul and Masterwork: https://www.thomann.de/it/sets_piatti.html
There is always some variation between cymbals and there are so many lines that you might find something that is just as good sounding to you for half the price. Thomann is very easy to deal with in case you want to return them. They also have a bunch of Zildjian packs.

Though my cymbal setup at any given time always consists of just one series, I can never find packs that contain the exact weights and diameters I want. I buy cymbals individually for that reason. I pay more, but the cost is worth having my specifications fulfilled.

Wise words and something I follow too.

I get the money saving side of packs but there's a strong chance you'll get a cymbal that you'll be 'meh' at (OP is already hinting at this) and you'll end up spending more money down the line. Plus if you're spending K money, you want every cymbal to be perfect for you, close enough doesn't cut the mustard.

Also have some individuality about your setup, why sound like everyone else, get something that suits you.

Even though I'm a K guy (with the exception of the ride), I'd strongly recommend checking the HHX complex series out.

Have a word with Alex at Amedia too. Their vintage line is stunning, the best cymbal I own is a 20" crash in this line (if I hadn't got Ks before I found this line I'd be here). He's UK based but easy enough to find on FB.

Last edited:
I'd strongly recommend checking the HHX complex series out.
Absolutely.
I have the Performance set (15, 19, 22), and for 858 € (Thomann) it not only is a steal but also blows the Ks out of the water, IMHO of course. (I have owned the 15" K Lights, 18" Sweet crash and 22" Light Ride - really pretty cymbals but to me the HHX Complex are on another level.)

If you need to have Zildjians, why not try the Country pack? You might like one of the crashes just fine. Sell the other one, get the Sweet Ride, done.

Absolutely.
I have the Performance set (15, 19, 22), and for 858 € (Thomann) it not only is a steal but also blows the Ks out of the water, IMHO of course. (I have owned the 15" K Lights, 18" Sweet crash and 22" Light Ride - really pretty cymbals but to me the HHX Complex are on another level.)

If you need to have Zildjians, why not try the Country pack? You might like one of the crashes just fine. Sell the other one, get the Sweet Ride, done.

I heard the HHX complex and I don’t quite like the sound of them.
I talked about the country pack so I guess you missed that in my original post? I’m trying to decide between doing what you just said and buying 3 cymbals individually.

I am actually thinking about pulling the trigger on a set of Kolossal Ks from DCP. How do you like them? I like to play funky/groove type music, also play in a soul type cover band. Would like some stick definition on my ride but not too much. I like a darker washier sound from my cymbals. Like my HH to cut. I have a set of Istanbul Agop Signatures 24/20/14 and like those a lot but need something that cuts a bit more for playing in larger ensembles. Thanks!

Back