Boutique snares?

Vandalay

OK I'm sure this is the umpteenth thread on this, but I'm mulling over whether or not to buy a snare from a local builder (Baltimore drum) the price seems fairly reasonable, thoughts?

Are you looking at stave shell? Steam bent? Ply? Familiarize yourself with all 3 and take a look at it. How long has the guy been making drums? I assume you've been playing for a while, and know drum construction. Play it. How's it sound? If all meets your needs/wants and the price is competitive then buy it. I always like the idea of buying from individuals who enjoy what they do and live their dream. Plus, you'll be helping his economy and buying American. Now.....go wash your hands.

Because I'm historically and emotionally bound to Pearl, I don't buy drums from other makers, but I do find the boutique market intriguing. Just be sure to investigate the quality of craftsmanship and its related warranties. Proceed with caution and all should go well.

I'm torn on this topic. It's great to support a small drum shop and you can get a cool looking, great sounding final product. My main issue is that with a majority of these small 'custom' drum companies you are paying a significant upcharge for Keller shells (or recently C&C shells) assembled with parts from DFD or precision and a fancy 'badge' slapped on it. You can buy all this yourself and save a ton of money. Most shell suppliers will professionally pre drill the shells and cut edges to your specs for a small upcharge if you have concerns over the woodworking aspect.

Hell! Copping my DW Collectors Bell Brass is boutique enough for me!

I'm torn on this topic. It's great to support a small drum shop and you can get a cool looking, great sounding final product. My main issue is that with a majority of these small 'custom' drum companies you are paying a significant upcharge for Keller shells (or recently C&C shells) assembled with parts from DFD or precision and a fancy 'badge' slapped on it. You can buy all this yourself and save a ton of money. Most shell suppliers will professionally pre drill the shells and cut edges to your specs for a small upcharge if you have concerns over the woodworking aspect.

I'm with Ron double checking what you are actually paying for.

From Baltimore's literature:

Baltimore Drum Company was established in 1986 by drummer/designer Keith Larsen. Keith’s vision was to design and build the finest American made drums to date. Simplicity by design with form and function was imperative.

After six years of research and development which included proprietary bearing edges, snare beds, machined aluminum hardware and finishes, Baltimore Drum, USA (as it was known from 1992 to 2001) attended the ’92 PASIC Convention and received rave reviews. Word traveled fast and both artists and dealers soon placed orders.

... Then in 2009, with renewed interest and overwhelming requests for his instruments, Keith decided to resurrect his drum manufacturing by establishing Baltimore Drum Company (which included updated hardware designs and additional machined components).

It seems to imply they make the shells and machine some of the parts (which could be lugs because it's a design I haven't seen anywhere else).

I would just ask some more questions and learn more about the drums before making a decision - but I really appreciate small builders. It's cool that people still make stuff in 2020 and it's not all machines in a factory.

It would be a 10 ply maple shell, proprietary aluminum lugs, trick throwoff his snares have won awards in the past

I'm with Ron double checking what you are actually paying for.

From Baltimore's literature:

Baltimore Drum Company was established in 1986 by drummer/designer Keith Larsen. Keith’s vision was to design and build the finest American made drums to date. Simplicity by design with form and function was imperative.

After six years of research and development which included proprietary bearing edges, snare beds, machined aluminum hardware and finishes, Baltimore Drum, USA (as it was known from 1992 to 2001) attended the ’92 PASIC Convention and received rave reviews. Word traveled fast and both artists and dealers soon placed orders.

... Then in 2009, with renewed interest and overwhelming requests for his instruments, Keith decided to resurrect his drum manufacturing by establishing Baltimore Drum Company (which included updated hardware designs and additional machined components).

It seems to imply they make the shells and machine some of the parts (which could be lugs because it's a design I haven't seen anywhere else).

I would just ask some more questions and learn more about the drums before making a decision - but I really appreciate small builders. It's cool that people still make stuff in 2020 and it's not all machines in a factory.

Another minor reservation I might have: When you buy a snare from an established series (e.g., Pearl Session Studio, Gretsch Brooklyn, or whatever) and find a flaw of some sort, the manufacturer can send you a replacement immediately. When you go all-out custom, however, your drum may need to be remade, which can take months. That's a potential headache I wouldn't be excited about.

Last edited:
Also something else to keep in mind: resale value of 'custom' drums are not what you think, should you ever decide to sell it.

This is super true - you wouldn't expect that to be the case - but custom drums depreciate like European premium cars.

My thoughts are if you are going boutique, go steambent. If I were president, every drummer would have a steambent maple snare

You could even build your own, getting the shells yourself (already drilled and edged)...you just finish and assemble

Why build a ply drum when you can build a solid shell drum for about the same money are my thoughts.

My thoughts are if you are going boutique, go steambent. If I were president, every drummer would have a steambent maple snare

You could even build your own, getting the shells yourself (already drilled and edged)...you just finish and assemble

Why build a ply drum when you can build a solid shell drum for about the same money are my thoughts.

And when you can get ply drums from any number of big names with great warranties, plenty of spare parts, and resale value without the price tag of 'custom'.

I think if you talk to Keith Larsen and he can describe what you're looking for and the price is right, then that could be a good way to go. It's fun to talk to the person who is designing/building your drum, but that process needs to be communicated well, so he knows what you're looking for, and you know what he's capable of doing.

I've only purchased "boutique" drums that are made by the individual making them and they've all been stave shells. Never had an issue. Guy's name is Bailey Budnick in Michigan. He made a half dozen shells for me to use in Pearl free float chassis and super quality. Oh. I did buy two other "boutiques" that were ply shells. Bought them because they were hand painted. One is painted with Koi fish, the other is plant life. Flower and philodendron, and ivy. Both sound great and prominently displayed as rack toms on my kit.

I think any custom gear needs to possess some quality that sets it apart from what you'd get from a big name manufacturer. It could be build quality, materials, unique look or custom finish, cost, or building a personal relationship. The trick is most of those are more subjective than objective qualities, and that makes it hard to tell you what to do.

Personally, I think it would be cool to have a drum built by someone local, more so if you'd met in person, and even more so if you'd had an opportunity to see the drum being built.

As an example...My Ludwig drums were factory made, but I live about 2 hours from the factory, I've toured the factory, and I put a lot of effort into refinishing them. They sound great, but the story and the personal connection to them makes them more than just drums to me.

I own a few custom/boutique snares, and I have previously owned several more. Generally I think it’s a waste of money, in that you rarely get something as great as you hoped/expected, and you are typically up a creek if you decide to sell it. The fantasy doesn’t hold up to the reality.

With a well chosen “name brand” snare, you stand a much better chance of getting your money’s worth, as well as decent resale.

Of the custom/boutique ones I still own, some are the exceptions that are really “that good”, and some are good enough but would have such awful resale that I’d rather keep them.

If I was recommending a boutique snare, it would definitely be a shell and hardware that you can’t buy from a generic parts catalog. To heck with 10 ply maple and a Trick throw.

In the end I decided to choose four of the Sonor Signature Series snares. There are more, but I chose the ones that had the specs I was looking for.
I think the snares that are designed by big name drummers are purpose built to get a specific sound. Also, they will have good resale value down the road because they carry a famous name on them. Also, just about anything with the Sonor name has good resale value.

Very good advice on resale value above. Even though the snare may be of the highest quality, you will take an absolute bath on this snare if you ever try to sell it if the maker is not well-known.

To me, the most important thing to ask is this: "What does this builder do that's better than what the big names have been doing for years?"

This can be a very hard question to answer because I want to support the "little guy," the local business. I really do. However, if I can get a snare or a drum set from a big name that sounds better, looks better, and is cheaper than what the local guy can do, then I'm just gonna pay the big boy. I know if my tastes change, I'm not going to lose my shirt if I decide to sell. Just being honest here.

Larry for President!

A good steambent maple is a thing of beauty. Crazy amounts of character in them. I saw Steve Maxwell do a talk on Johnny Craviotto, his motto was start with a steambent maple and find your sound from there.

Can't see the point of having a custom built ply snare when you can get one from any big company and it would have a better resale value.

Back