Good deal on New Beat Hats?

Ha! That's exactly what I was implying with the phrase "variance among certain lines." I didn't want to reignite the topic, as it's been heavily discussed as of late. It will suffice to state that inconsistency among my S cymbals is yet to be a concern.

YES. . I. . PREFER. . . TO. . CONFORM. . PLEASE. . DIRECT. . ME. . TO. . THE. . STANDARD. . SOUNDING. . HI. . HATS. <g>

Last edited by a moderator:
Thing is that NBs aren’t made to all sound alike. They were designed right from the start to offer certain benefits over a matched pair. Improved “chick” sound being the most common point of discussion. But they have additional sonic differences that anyone who’s played Both them and matched HHs can immediately see.

Wanna play Country? Rock? Disco? Etc. Go pick the pair that best suits who you are and what you play. (And yes I know there was no disco in 1963). That was always the idea and why different pairs can vary in weight so widely even within the same time frame.

You are welcome to love the conformity of the S line or Paiste or whatever. Just not for me.

edit - My pair are about 725g / 1200g. I’ve seen 14s from the same period that weigh 1000g / 1450g. And everything in between.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the exact opposite experience. A few years back I owned a set of Sabian 15” AA regular hats, which I liked. On a lark I bought a used pair of 15” New Beats, which have turned out to be a holy grail find for me. My new beats were far superior to my regular hats to my ears; more proof in the wide variation in cymbals.

That's awesome! I'm glad you love your New Beats! Thousands of drummer who use them and love them aren't wrong, that's for sure.

I think my overall "thing" with Zildjian is that I find them very inconsistent. I can play a 16" medium thin A crash and it doesn't do anything for me, and then I'll play another 16" medium thin A crash and it'll sound magical. To my ears, good Zildjians sound great, but ok-sounding Zildgians sound very "meh" at best. My theory is that if you find a good one, get it! You may have gotten one of the good sets of hats. Mine that I had were sort of "meh" to me, so I got rid of them.

Overall, it's always good to see when someone finds exactly what they want! :)

Now if you guys can give me some opinions about snare drums! LOL As you'll see in my thread about the double pedals, I listed what my kit currently comprises of. And while I paid a crapload for my Ludwig Supraphonic, I don't like having a metal snare. Despite the high quality, something about it just sounds like it belongs in a marching band. So I'd like to sell it and buy a great snare that goes better with my Tama Silverstar birch kit and is more conducive to rock music. I'm guessing PorkPieGuy has something to say about that LOL. I'm guessing I can sell my Supraphonics for at least $250-$350.

I'd hang on to your Supra even if you don't like it now. Your ears may change over time.

To my ears, good Zildjians sound great, but ok-sounding Zildgians sound very "meh" at best.

That makes perfect sense.........clearly the Zildgians were just cheap knock offs of Zildjians. You gotta pay close attention to the spelling on the label. ;) :)

That makes perfect sense.........clearly the Zildgians were just cheap knock offs of Zildjians. You gotta pay close attention to the spelling on the label. ;) :)

Thanks! I learned how to spell reading Craigslist ads.

Lol. Their are alot of symbals for sell on craigslist, thats fore shure.
I'm never sure if symbols, cymbols, or simbals are the good ones. I just always ended up buying cymbals.

You are welcome to love the conformity of the S line or Paiste or whatever. Just not for me.

Clarification: I would "love" no series of cymbals for the sake of "conformity" alone. Consistency is of little value when the qualities it governs are detestable. A bad but consistent series of cymbals isn't a series to which I'd be drawn. At the same time, if I can find good cymbals that can be reproduced, owing to their mode of creation, with minimal deviation, I definitely consider that a plus. In essence, consistency isn't what I'm after first and foremost, but it's a characteristic I'll embrace when I can.

All I know is I love Sabian. The NB hats I recently bought (and waiting for) will be the only non-Sabian cymbals I’ve ever owned (other than my 10” Paiste splash) so I guess I’ll have my own opinion about this once the NB’s arrive ?

Clarification: I would "love" no series of cymbals for the sake of "conformity" alone. Consistency is of little value when the qualities it governs are detestable. A bad but consistent series of cymbals isn't a series to which I'd be drawn. At the same time, if I can find good cymbals that can be reproduced, owing to their mode of creation, with minimal deviation, I definitely consider that a plus. In essence, consistency isn't what I'm after first and foremost, but it's a characteristic I'll embrace when I can.

I agree. I'm a Zildjian A-series player simply because that's what was the most readily available in the past when I was gathering my set (I have also have some Sabian & Paiste as well). However, I hate that I can't simply buy a Zildjian A without hearing it first. You just never know what you're going to get if you don't. That makes buying online pretty much impossible unless you're just willing to accept whatever you get, or you're willing to deal with the PITA of returns.

I agree. I'm a Zildjian A-series player simply because that's what was the most readily available in the past when I was gathering my set (I have also have some Sabian & Paiste as well). However, I hate that I can't simply buy a Zildjian A without hearing it first. You just never know what you're going to get if you don't. That makes buying online pretty much impossible unless you're just willing to accept whatever you get, or you're willing to deal with the PITA of returns.

You've just pinpointed one of the primary reasons I'm playing Zildjian S's instead of A Customs. They're very similar to each other, but I have greater confidence that I can replace an S through an online purchase and receive close to a replication of my previous cymbal. If I thought S's were terrible, I'd move over to A Customs immediately, but because my opinion of S's is high, I have no reason to make that conversion right now.

I played Paiste 2002s and Signatures for a time, but I don't foresee myself returning to the Paiste camp. Zildjian, with the exception of Ks, has always been my more to my liking, somewhat for sentimental reasons, as my earliest days as a drummer were Zildjian-specific. If I weren't playing S's, A Customs would be my most probable destination.

Reactions: J-W
Back