IKEA Find: 13 dollar 14” lazy Susan

Justinhub2003

Silver Member
Lol DW will sell you virtually the same thing for 150 bucks.
But I found this at IKEA for $12.99

And it works!!

7D39DCED-69E8-4142-95EE-8FF895A617EC.jpeg
FC9DA3CA-2008-4720-9309-061D57F6F786.jpeg

Been using this 18" one for years....

20200806_185948.jpg

But probably not as good as the DW......... the grain direction is all wrong. ;)

Yeah this is the IKEA version of VLT technology haha

Wow, that's... that's...
What is that thing? And what is it for? [It's a Lazy Susan and you can use it to spin a drum - that much I know already]

Wow, that's... that's...
What is that thing? And what is it for? [It's a Lazy Susan and you can use it to spin a drum - that much I know already]

It's to make it easier to rotate the drum while tuning. That way you don't have to strain your wrists turning it, or have to reach all the way across a 12" drum. It's kind of like buying a Yamaha Crosstown cymbal stand that weighs 5.87lbs instead of a Pearl C-800W that weighs 6.15lbs. Apparently every little bit counts.

Actually, I do want one of these for my kitchen table. I'm tired of having to pass the salt. They don't call it a Lazy Susan for nothing, right? ;)

Last edited:
It's to make it easier to rotate the drum while tuning. That way you don't have to strain your wrists turning it, or have to reach all the way across a 12" drum. It's kind of like buying a Yamaha Crosstown cymbal stand that weighs 5.87lbs instead of a Pearl C-800W that weighs 6.15lbs. Apparently every little bit counts.

Actually, I do want one of these for my kitchen table. I'm tired of having to pass the salt. They don't call it a Lazy Susan for nothing, right? ;)

Interesting. I put my drums on my drum throne and spin them that way when tuning so technically my method costs $0 (assuming you have a round top seat which rotates you’re already using).

And DW actually offers such a thing? How many drums do you need to tune to make this worthwile? I mean you also have to grab that thing from a cupboard, place it on a table and take it back to the cupboard after tuning. And when playing the toms, I have to use my arms and wrists a lot more than when reaching over to the next tension rod while tuning. Sorry, I really don't get it but more power to everyone who feels like it's a helpful tool. :)

Don't stop asking for the salt - you might miss out on a million dollar invention. "The Smurfs" were invented that way! From Wikipedia:
The word “smurf” is the original Dutch translation of the French "schtroumpf", which, according to Peyo, is a word he invented during a meal with fellow cartoonist André Franquin when he could not remember the word salt.

And DW actually offers such a thing? How many drums do you need to tune to make this worthwile? I mean you also have to grab that thing from a cupboard, place it on a table and take it back to the cupboard after tuning. And when playing the toms, I have to use my arms and wrists a lot more than when reaching over to the next tension rod while tuning. Sorry, I really don't get it but more power to everyone who feels like it's a helpful tool. :)

I have to admit; I'm just assuming that's what it's for since I can't think of any other reason for one. But I agree, I don't struggle with spinning my drums on carpet or a folded towel or even reaching across them. But to each their own. Sometimes it's the little things in life and people do like gadgets.

I wasn't aware that DW offers one, but I can believe that it would be $150 for theirs.

€6 in Ireland IKEA. Very useful when cleaning tuning or painting drums.
Used to use one a lot when I made my own Cajons.

Mick

I had that exact same lazy Susa. Never used it for drums. Kind of mad I just gave it away and didn’t think to sell it on for 150 bucks!!

Never once thought to use one for tuning. I got a lazy susan base and an 18" woofer cutout for my wife's kitchen when we remodel the cabinets.

Had a refrigerator with a lazy susan in it. It was cool until it got stuck.

Never in a million years would I have thought to use one for tuning.

Jam some felt on that and you're good to go!!

But probably not as good as the DW......... the grain direction is all wrong. ;)
Exactly! They look alike, but that's where the similarities end. I'm sure you've wondered about the price disparity. I know I did. Here's what I found at Sweetwater:

The DW Drum Tuning table "acts like a lazy susan," but apparently it's not. It will spin your toms and snares on "frictionless ball bearings." The $13 Ikea Lazy Susan bearings are sure to have some friction. The DW Tuning Table has a "carpeted surface." If you press the Ikea LS into service, you'll have to source your own carpet remnant and adhesives, acquire tools to modify and adhere your carpet and live with less than profession results, adding to what seemed to be an initial meager cost. Another benefit to the DW Tuning Table are the two "integrated drum keys." I didn't see any drum keys associated with the Ikea LS, nor did I notice any clips to keep the drum keys captive until needed.

Both items have one five star rating each, but "Who ya gonna believe?" The DW Drum Tuning Table was rated by a Professional Drummer with 45 years experience. That seals the deal for me!

"Honey?!? Do we have any carpet scraps in the basement?"

Back