Tune-Bot your method

I will do the video this week, I am very tired right today, I also need to save the settings of my current tuning with the tune-bot, backing up the fundamental notes and the lug frequencies.

There is base point at least now.

I don't regret the purchase of the tune-bot, but I should have picked the Studio version instead of the Gig version. It's not really the end of the world, the only limitation of the Gig version was with the very high resonant head of my snare which was fairly easy to tune by ear.

It would pick up the frequencies up to 350 or 355 hz (with difficulties) and by using the difference mode to tune around that specific lug.. the rest was done by ear.
Mr. Auspicious, I don’t doubt that after you have learned and mastered the tuning process, you will be posting an Answers-All video. Your tenacity is encouraging. ?

Thanks, I saw the John Riley tuning previously in the artist section. I have a theory that he could have done something like it did, tuned with the lug frequency then tuned by ear just after to get the right fundamental note he wanted.

Instead of providing conflicting information, he didn't published the fundamental note.

Just a wild theory.

I tried playing with my drum a bit and it's very very nice now, raising the resonant head of the snare helped, the sound of it is good and the rebound not to bad at all. I will publish a short video sequence of my very basic jazz playing later, for you to ear the tuning experience. ?
Like a lot of tools/aids it sometimes takes a while to understands their nuances - its great that you worked it out.

Mr. Auspicious, I don’t doubt that after you have learned and mastered the tuning process, you will be posting an Answers-All video. Your tenacity is encouraging. ?

Thanks seriously !

I just practiced on the drums and it was absolutely awesome, I started with a brush pattern from John Riely's - The art of bop drumming (brush pattern #1 - Basic pattern, and practiced it with the metrome for a certain amount of time then I started adding 8 bars of fills occasionally, In time, with the metronome.

Ahh this was satisfying. :)

Even with the light weight brushes, I can see a tremendous difference around the kit.

I level upped the drum skill tonight by being able to keep the time, adding fills and going back to a somewhat steady brush pattern on the snare, I love brushes.

Like a lot of tools/aids it sometimes takes a while to understands their nuances - its great that you worked it out.

It worked all right, it's stable, practice can resume now.

Hello again,

I contacted the store about my tune-bot, I explained that the device was barely capable of picking up frequency over 275hz and practically impossible over 355hz.

Since I need to tune my bottom head to 385hz or even more, I asked if I could give back the Tune-Bot Gig and pay the difference only to get the tune-bot Studio instead. I think has an option to pick up higher frequencies then 400hz.

My question is for those who have a Tune-Bot Studio, are they capable of easily picking up the frequencies over 360hz?

If so, I have the opportunity to swap the devices..

Tell me if you know.

Thanks

Hello again,

I contacted the store about my tune-bot, I explained that the device was barely capable of picking up frequency over 275hz and practically impossible over 355hz.

Since I need to tune my bottom head to 385hz or even more, I asked if I could give back the Tune-Bot Gig and pay the difference only to get the tune-bot Studio instead. I think has an option to pick up higher frequencies then 400hz.

My question is for those who have a Tune-Bot Studio, are they capable of easily picking up the frequencies over 360hz?

If so, I have the opportunity to swap the devices..

Tell me if you know.

Thanks
I have a tune bot studio. I've used it to tension resonant heads up to 395 hz. I haven't tried it over 400 hz as I've never wanted to go that high. It has a higher frequency function that you engage. Its worth the extra cost IMV. When you get up to the high tensions you might get a couple of false readings but holding the bot right next to the lug usually gets you the correct reading and then press "filter" and everythings OK from there.

I have the studio version also. I have taken snare reso heads to 440 hz, While tune bot warns against it I haven't noticed any down side. Tune bot is a great tool.

I have a tune bot studio. I've used it to tension resonant heads up to 395 hz. I haven't tried it over 400 hz as I've never wanted to go that high. It has a higher frequency function that you engage. Its worth the extra cost IMV. When you get up to the high tensions you might get a couple of false readings but holding the bot right next to the lug usually gets you the correct reading and then press "filter" and everythings OK from there.

Ok ok, it looks like the studio model has a similar issue with the higher frequencies and false readings.

With the GIG model, between 300 and 355, I often need to hit the snare +- 10 shots before I get a reading.. it's too much to say the operation is smooth and effective, for high frequency reading only, for the rest is fine and I don't see any problems.

If i need to do the same thing with the Studio model.. perhaps it's not worth the car ride. Exchanging the GIG for the Studio model can be done but the amount of efforts to do so is substantial. (I need to ride my car, playing the game of "dodging potholes" in the failing Montreal City)

It would be great to see if a person compared the GIG model with the Studio model to see if there is truly a significant difference.

I am not convinced 100% right now.. not convinced because I really don't want to penetrate Montreal unless I am sure that it's worth the money. Doing everything with Canada Post would cost too much with the return.

Ok ok, it looks like the studio model has a similar issue with the higher frequencies and false readings.

With the GIG model, between 300 and 355, I often need to hit the snare +- 10 shots before I get a reading.. it's too much to say the operation is smooth and effective, for high frequency reading only, for the rest is fine and I don't see any problems.

If i need to do the same thing with the Studio model.. perhaps it's not worth the car ride. Exchanging the GIG for the Studio model can be done but the amount of efforts to do so is substantial. (I need to ride my car, playing the game of "dodging potholes" in the failing Montreal City)

It would be great to see if a person compared the GIG model with the Studio model to see if there is truly a significant difference.

I am not convinced 100% right now.. not convinced because I really don't want to penetrate Montreal unless I am sure that it's worth the money. Doing everything with Canada Post would cost too much with the return.
Never had to use 10 shots. 2- 3 tops usually with the bot right next to the lug. BTW , the Montreal roads sound appalling - I did visit Montreal last November as well. Very Cold and windy - like, holding on to lamp post windy! At least all the shops were underground!

Never had to use 10 shots. 2- 3 tops usually with the bot right next to the lug. BTW , the Montreal roads sound appalling - I did visit Montreal last November as well. Very Cold and windy - like, holding on to lamp post windy! At least all the shops were underground!

Yeah but getting to these underground shops with a car is almost impossible, to find a parking spot somewhere without getting a parking ticket or just finding a parking spot or you may need to pay top dollars per hour to get a spot.

The whole road system is crumbling, their water infrastructure and sewers are a real mess, emergency repairs everywhere literally all the time.

When you go there, you need to:
- Try to find your way in a road system with many many many one ways.
- Too many traffic signs but yet, not enough traffic signs.
- Dodging the deadly potholes.
- Bypassing the buses dangerously obstructing the paths.
- Taking care of the radar photos at the same time. (Those for speed and red lights, very easy to pass on a red light in Montreal while analyzing the one way structure of steers while trying figure out a way to get to some place)
- All that by being assaulted by taxi drivers and other.. crazy people. You have streets with coordinated red lights where you need to know the exact speed to drive to get all the green lights, taxi drivers they know all about it but not me, I am spending all my brain power looking for potholes and radar photos, one ways, etc.

Not a substitute for practicing 4 ways independence on the drum set. ?

There is a an highway interchange called Turcot in Montreal, it's the biggest of the metropole and they have been working on it for more then 10 years, TEN YEARS!! and it's still unfinished to this very day I think.

Wow I want to settle for the Tune-Bot Gig now lol.

Ah yeah I know what you mean, massive snow storms are also not uncommon here like this one from last winter or the other before. These will happen often between November and Febuary, it can be robust for elderly people but I kind of like winter.

I tuned up to 398 Hz with the studio version. You have to switch to high frequency setting and us the filter feature. Then it works quite good.

I have the studio version also. I have taken snare reso heads to 440 hz, While tune bot warns against it I haven't noticed any down side. Tune bot is a great tool.

Same here, I have Studio version. It's the best one they've made to date IMO. With the Hi Filter engaged I can get well past 400 Hz no problem. I usually leave all my snares-sides at 390-394 Hz anyways.

My pro tip: On any drum and head, instead of a drumstick use a timpani mallet to gently tap at each lug while tuning. Much clearer and accurate readings I've found.

There is a an highway interchange called Turcot in Montreal, it's the biggest of the metropole and they have been working on it for more then 10 years, TEN YEARS!! and it's still unfinished to this very day
Dont feel bad. When I moved to Arkansas in 1991 they had just installed a north/south highway that goes from Missouri to Ft. Smith. 29 years later and it still isnt finished. The road has been in constant construction the whole time.

Dont feel bad. When I moved to Arkansas in 1991 they had just installed a north/south highway that goes from Missouri to Ft. Smith. 29 years later and it still isnt finished. The road has been in constant construction the whole time.

Ouff ok that must be a pain. I have to give Montreal some credits, there was a major provincial construction corruption investigation right in the middle (or at the beginning, can't remember) of the Turcot project.. Involving major actors.. invested in the project.. you know.

That was a cause for the delays. But still it's difficult.

I tuned up to 398 Hz with the studio version. You have to switch to high frequency setting and us the filter feature. Then it works quite good.

Ok ok I see what you mean, I read the tunebot Studio instruction and they even talk about it.. filter mode has even 2 modes.. plus another independant difference mode. It's far more advanced..

ADVANCED FEATURES If you are having issues with variable readings, try using the Filter mode. The Filter mode will limit the range of your readings, keeping you from getting inconsistent numbers. To use Filter, you must first get a correct lug pitch reading. Next, press the FILT button(6), notice that the filter reference pitch is displayed in the bottom right corner of the display(14). Now, all readings will be in a close range to the reference pitch. Note you must re-set the filter when you switch drums or heads or if you are making large tuning changes to the drum(more than +/-20% in Hz).

To tune a drum above 400Hz (most likely a snare resonant head), you will need to use the hi-range mode. This mode extends the tuner’s range to 450Hz. To enter hi-range mode, hold FILT for a few seconds until HI-RANGE is displayed in bottom center of the display. It is best not to use hi-range mode for typical tuning(below 400 Hz).

So if I understand correctly, the Hi-Range mode is NOT like the filter mode where you need to capture a frequency BEFORE you use the filter mode but with the Hi-Range mode you need to activate it BEFORE you capture a frequency.

Am I right.. it's not 100% clear in the instruction.. But it's logical.

I have the original Tune-Bot and haven't had any issues with it. I think it's worth upgrading to the best you can afford.

I'm two hours away from Montreal and I know what you mean about the infrastructure. Lots of neglect and a fair amount of corruption to contend with over the years. Old Quebec City on the other hand (and old Montreal for that matter) is beautiful. I once stayed in a hotel in old Quebec whose oldest walls dated back to 1713. Amazing place!

Same here, I have Studio version. It's the best one they've made to date IMO. With the Hi Filter engaged I can get well past 400 Hz no problem. I usually leave all my snares-sides at 390-394 Hz anyways.

My pro tip: On any drum and head, instead of a drumstick use a timpani mallet to gently tap at each lug while tuning. Much clearer and accurate readings I've found.
Just asking. Why do we tune with little taps, but when we play we bang very hard??

I have the original Tune-Bot and haven't had any issues with it. I think it's worth upgrading to the best you can afford.

I'm two hours away from Montreal and I know what you mean about the infrastructure. Lots of neglect and a fair amount of corruption to contend with over the years. Old Quebec City on the other hand (and old Montreal for that matter) is beautiful. I once stayed in a hotel in old Quebec whose oldest walls dated back to 1713. Amazing place!

I called the store and arranged everything, I paid the difference between the GIG and the Studio which was 41CAD and we will make an exchange when they receive it, that's good news at least.

It's like everything.. always need to pay for the best model. The Hi-Range will be useful for me, I know I'll be happy to tune my resonant head with that helpful option.

I agree about Quebec City, it's a beautiful city, the Old Quebec.. but even the modern city, you don't have the same road issues it's user friendly to drive there, same thing with Ottawa or Laval, user friendly road system, not perfect but not bad.

Montreal is a very special city, it's a sanctuary city to start, culturally and musically, Montreal is above Quebec, Laval and Ottawa merged together, in my opinion...

Along that if you like to take the bus and to drink smelly water from the St-Laurence river, that's the place to live. ?

Back