Good deal on New Beat Hats?

Ok so I’m assuming you think even the Iron Cobra 900’s & DW5000’s would be overkill for me?

If so, it seems like the Cobra 600’s, DW-3000’s and Pearl Demonator 932’s are comparable step downs from those higher end ones. The Pearl’s seem to consistently get “best bang for your buck” reviews.

Drum Workshop, Inc. 3000 Series Bass Drum Pedal, Double (DWCP3002) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003H8Z732/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6PclFb7QN43DY

Tama Iron Cobra 600 Series Double Bass Drum Pedal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCEKISM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OQclFbPFSBCS2

Pearl P932 Demonator Right Footed Single Chain with Interchangeable Cam Powershifter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BIBBJ46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eRclFb5J59Y9Z

You can never go wrong with Pearl, everything they make is quality and comes with a lifetime warranty. I never liked their previous eliminator line but that has it's own strong following and the new demon variants are supposed to be even better.

IC600, I already spoke about those so I won't say all that again but I can say this: the 600 line is basically a rebranding of what was the 'original' lines of Iron Cobra, they are fantastic pedals at a great price (less then switching back to the bulky beaters, I like the flat beaters). The 900 line has a bunch of extra features that, IMO, aren't necessary at all. Like a second spring under the footboard to help it return faster... Pedals have been fine without this for 100 years and you can always just tighten your main drive spring.

To me, DW pedals always felt more sturdy but much more sluggish... Possibly due to their rounded cams. I like more aggressive cams like Tama uses. Many people swear by dw5000 and 9000 pedals and they are arguably the industry standard in 'pro pedals' but just like Tama and pearl, the higher lines are just extra features to justify their higher cost. The dw3000 line gives you most of the features and stability at a lower price, I wouldn't look past that line.

This is an incredible deal if they're brand new. New Beats usually go for close to $400.00 retail. They're great all-purpose hats. I've never heard a drummer say, "I hate New Beats."
I mean, I don’t haaaate New Beats, but I’m definitely not a big fan either. Too clangy for my tastes, but I’m of the opinion that if someone likes them, good for that someone.

I mean, I don’t haaaate New Beats, but I’m definitely not a big fan either. Too clangy for my tastes, but I’m of the opinion that if someone likes them, good for that someone.

I agree. They commonly are referred to as one of the most versatile hat sets around but I find them clangy, far too loud when played open yet far too quiet when played closed, and without drilling air vents have some of the worst air lock (or hi hat 'fart' sound as I call it) I've ever experienced. I get flamed for this alllllllll the time but I vastly prefer my current 13" zbt hats to my old 14" new beats. The 12" Special Recording hats play very much like new beats except the open slosh is slightly subdued while the closed sound is a bit more pronounced.

IMO, Sabian AA regular hats are better New Beats than New Beats (YMMV). I have a set from the early 1990s. They used to have a brilliant finish back then, and they were my first set of hats. I've moved on to Turkish hats and haven't looked back.

IMO, Sabian AA regular hats are better New Beats than New Beats (YMMV). I have a set from the early 1990s. They used to have a brilliant finish back then, and they were my first set of hats. I've moved on to Turkish hats and haven't looked back.

I had 14" Zildjian new beats and 14" sabian HH regular hats, my experience was the same as yours in terms of preferring the sabian to the Zildjian

Too late! I already ordered the NewBeats LOL
Oh well, I'll find out and decide for myself. I plan on using them as my auxiliary hats but I can always periodically swap with my AAX stage hats.

Hey roncadillac, I just started a new thread regarding the double bass pedals, just to get some more feedback (I sent you props for your help).

Now if you guys can give me some opinions about snare drums! LOL As you'll see in my thread about the double pedals, I listed what my kit currently comprises of. And while I paid a crapload for my Ludwig Supraphonic, I don't like having a metal snare. Despite the high quality, something about it just sounds like it belongs in a marching band. So I'd like to sell it and buy a great snare that goes better with my Tama Silverstar birch kit and is more conducive to rock music. I'm guessing PorkPieGuy has something to say about that LOL. I'm guessing I can sell my Supraphonics for at least $250-$350.

Thanks.

I hear you, man. They're definitely not my ideal hats. I'm hooked on Zildjan's Mastersound design (ridged bottom) and can't imagine playing smooth-bottom hats ever again. Regardless, New Beats are a solid option for those who don't have specific characteristics in mind but are looking for a reliable set of hats suitable for almost all applications. There are far worse products on the market.

I have a pair of mid 80s 14" New Beats and these have such an amazing sound. The sizzle is phenomenal and the stick sound is so clean and beautiful. After a while I got bored with them and got into Paiste. But when I bring the 14" NB's out, its like magic. If I were to grab another set, I would purposely look for the mid 80s version (though I know they can vary).

I hear you, man. They're definitely not my ideal hats. I'm hooked on Zildjan's Mastersound design (ridged bottom) and can't imagine playing smooth-bottom hats ever again. Regardless, New Beats are a solid option for those who don't have specific characteristics in mind but are looking for a reliable set of hats suitable for almost all applications. There are far worse products on the market.

I can relate. I hate hi hat air lock and the resulting 'fart' sound so much that I drill x4 1/4" holes in the bottom of every new pair of hats that I buy.

I can relate. I hate hi hat air lock and the resulting 'fart' sound so much that I drill x4 1/4" holes in the bottom of every new pair of hats that I buy.

The Mastersounds are amazing. You won't need to drill at all, and the chick sound is one of a kind. I play Zildjian S 14" Mastersounds. They might be my favorite hats of all time.

I had the exact opposite experience. A few years back I owned a set of Sabian 15” AA regular hats, which I liked. On a lark I bought a used pair of 15” New Beats, which have turned out to be a holy grail find for me. My new beats were far superior to my regular hats to my ears; more proof in the wide variation in cymbals.

The Mastersounds are amazing. You won't need to drill at all, and the chick sound is one of a kind. I play Zildjian S 14" Mastersounds. They might be my favorite hats of all time.

Hmm... Affordable, no mods, no 'fart', if they come in 12" or 13" I'm in! Haha. I've taken a liking to smaller hats. After realizing that most of my drum 'heros' use 12s or 13s I gave them a shot and never looked back.

Hmm... Affordable, no mods, no 'fart', if they come in 12" or 13" I'm in! Haha. I've taken a liking to smaller hats. After realizing that most of my drum 'heros' use 12s or 13s I gave them a shot and never looked back.

They're available in 13" if you prefer smaller hats. I'm guessing a new pair in that diameter would run for about two hundred or so.

I’m a huge fan of mastersound, soundedge, etc. I played for a while with A Customs and I would often sub in a Mastersound bottom hat and it was way better. My current hats are the K Custom Hybrid 14.25s. Has that ridged bottom and I just really dig it.

The positive and negative thing about New Beats is that they vary, sometimes a lot. My early NBs c1965 are dark like K. Zildjians from that era. Hard to agree with hating the sound of New Beats as my immediate question would be “which pair?”

The positive and negative thing about New Beats is that they vary, sometimes a lot. My early NBs c1965 are dark like K. Zildjians from that era. Hard to agree with hating the sound of New Beats as my immediate question would be “which pair?”

Yeah, variance among certain lines of cymbals can be vast. Buying blindly is often a risk.

Not if you buy B8 or B12 ;)

Ha! That's exactly what I was implying with the phrase "variance among certain lines." I didn't want to reignite the topic, as it's been heavily discussed as of late. It will suffice to state that inconsistency among my S cymbals is yet to be a concern.

Back