I never see a lot said about the 7-ply Ludwig Classic Maple snare drums. Why?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I'm a big fan on the Ludwig Classic Maple drum line. I have a set, and they are some of the best drums I've ever heard.

With that said, there are so many threads about a wide variety of snare drums, and I appreciate them all! However, I don't think I've ever seen that many threads (or even much of a mention) of Ludwig Classic Maple snare drums, in particular the 7 ply. Why is that? Are there "better" snares out there at the same price point? Do people just not have them? I don't know. I've listened to them online, and they sound pretty good to me. Maybe that's the issue...at that price point, maybe there are more-than-pretty-good snares to be had for the same price. Like I said, I just don't know.

I'm curious as to what you have to say about these snares.

I'm a big fan on the Ludwig Classic Maple drum line. I have a set, and they are some of the best drums I've ever heard.

With that said, there are so many threads about a wide variety of snare drums, and I appreciate them all! However, I don't think I've ever seen that many threads (or even much of a mention) of Ludwig Classic Maple snare drums, in particular the 7 ply. Why is that? Are there "better" snares out there at the same price point? Do people just not have them? I don't know. I've listened to them online, and they sound pretty good to me. Maybe that's the issue...at that price point, maybe there are more-than-pretty-good snares to be had for the same price. Like I said, I just don't know.

I'm curious as to what you have to say about these snares.

I think there's this sort of hole in excited for just plain maple snares from a lot of companies. You don't hear much about Gretsch's Maple Snares or Yamaha's Maple Snares or Tama's etc. etc.

A lot of times - the maple snares kind of get put in this "That's just the snare that comes with the shell pack" category and every one spends their time lusting after the exotic woods or unique builds when the matching maple snares are really great drums - just not terribly exciting.

I fall into that trap a lot too where I look for X exotic wood or Y exotic size or Z exotic feature vs. the work horse maple snare that my kits have come with in the past.

Maple is ubiquitous. As Nicholas notes above, it's become so standard that it sometimes fails to excite. To be perfectly honest, as exquisite as maple shells can be, one reason I decided to get a Pearl Session Studio Select kit -- instead of another Pearl Masters Maple, of which I've owned several over the years -- is that maple is the go-to wood for so many drummers, and, wanting a change of pace, I was drawn to the Session Studio's birch/African mahogany makeup. Maple is great, especially on pancakes, but it's grown commonplace in the drum industry through heavy promotion.

So in other words, is it safe to say that the good maple snare drum is the Toyota Corolla of the drum world?

Not fancy, not a head-turner, but there's nothing wrong with it; it's super-reliable and does the job well and should serve the owner for many years to come?

So in other words, is it safe to say that the good maple snare drum is the Toyota Corolla of the drum world?

Not fancy, not a head-turner, but there's nothing wrong with it; it's super-reliable and does the job well and should serve the owner for many years to come?

I own last years 10 ply Maple 110th Anniversary exotic avodire 14x7 (rare size for Ludwig) and it’s a really great snare. But the issue is, it’s my least played Ludwig snare because the 4 other metal Ludwig snares I have just sound so much better to my ear.

When I think of Ludwig? I just think if it’s amazing metal snares.

As others have stated Ludwig’s outstanding metal shell snares have overshadowed their very underrated Classic Maple snares . I myself am a victim of this opinion as well .

I should add that I play only wood snares. In my experience, wood is warmer and dryer than metal, has fewer overtones, and is easier to tune overall -- qualities that meet my approval. I'd take a maple over a metal snare any day.

I've owned two over the years and they were both awesome snares. Great body and tone and responsiveness. I think the hardware (P85 and P86 strainers) come across as cheap compared with other manufacturers. I never had trouble with strainers on any of the Ludwigs I've owned though. All worked well enough for me.

I'd definitely recommend one if your considering for your country music sounding snare.

I would say this is 100% fair.

Just like if you owned a Carolla - you'd probably love that car and all the well appointed features at a moderate price - the same goes for a good maple snare.

It's funny you mention this - I was watching a "SNARE DRUM SHOOTOUT" kind of video last night and I had it on youtube and I wasn't looking at the browser while I was hearing the snares (And @C.M. Jones - you'll be glad to know that it was Pearl Snares) - and I heard one that realllllly caught my ear and made me flip over to see what it was.

Well - I would have guessed it was Titanium or 1 ply wood from prehistoric times or meteorite or whatever - but it was just a 14X5 maple snare at a great medium tuning (A free floater).

I was watching a "SNARE DRUM SHOOTOUT" kind of video last night and I had it on youtube and I wasn't looking at the browser while I was hearing the snares (And @C.M. Jones - you'll be glad to know that it was Pearl Snares) - and I heard one that realllllly caught my ear and made me flip over to see what it was.

You're starting to catch on, man. It may take a bit more work, but we'll get you there eventually. Soon, your gear outlook will be defined by the following oath: "If it ain't got a Pearl badge, I ain't playin' it."

Don't worry; your new Gretsch's have excellent resale value. Put them up on Reverb, and resurrect yourself from the ashes. A new drumming life is only a Pearl kit away.

Walk the path of purity -- the path of Pearl.

My only maple snare is a Ludwig Coliseum and I love it. It's got about as many lugs as your Toyota Corolla and weighs about as much too. It was my go-to snare for years until I picked up an LM411 about 10 years ago. It hasn't left the basket since.
Like others have said, Ludwig's metal snares simply overshadow their maple, and for good reason. Not that their maple offerings are bad, it's just that their metal ones are just that much better, IMO.

You're starting to catch on, man. It may take a bit more work, but we'll get you there eventually. Soon, your gear outlook will be defined by the following oath: "If it ain't got a Pearl badge, I ain't playin' it."

Don't worry; your new Gretsch's have excellent resale value. Put them up on Reverb, and resurrect yourself from the ashes. A new drumming life is only a Pearl kit away.

Walk the path of purity -- the path of Pearl.
C.M. , If you ain't workin' for Pearl you should be !! ? ;)

Bought and sold many high end wood snares over the years but the 6.5x14 classic maple stays! Not so thrilled about the 5 inch though.

I've owned two over the years and they were both awesome snares. Great body and tone and responsiveness. I think the hardware (P85 and P86 strainers) come across as cheap compared with other manufacturers. I never had trouble with strainers on any of the Ludwigs I've owned though. All worked well enough for me.

I'd definitely recommend one if your considering for your country music sounding snare.

I think the P88AC strainer (latest model) is pretty damn good.

Any Ludwig snare with the old throw off, I’d just switch to the new one and it should work great.

I had the 10 ply exotic classic maple in the Steinway Santos rosewood finish. Incredible snare. I used it exclusively for a while before I got my 3 rosewood snares, and then it took the back seat.

It was a gorgeous looking and sounding drum, that could do anything, but the maple was just "boring" to me for a snare. If I didn't have the exotic woods, I'd still have it. If the guy that I sold it to ever wants to ditch it, I'll have it back though.

Great snares that are just overshadowed.

I should add that I play only wood snares. In my experience, wood is warmer and dryer than metal, has fewer overtones, and is easier to tune overall -- qualities that meet my approval. I'd take a maple over a metal snare any day.

These are my exact thoughts. Believe me, I love the idea of owning a Black Beauty or Supra, but I don’t think I’d ever take them out of the house. I just like the sound, warmth, and the controlled overtones of maple. Taking a metal-based snare on my small gigs would make me feel like I’m going deer hunting with a bazooka. Would it work? Oh yeah. Would there be any survivors? Not likely.

Confession: Ok this is a silly one, but I have to admit it. When I was cutting my teeth on my old Rockstar drum set, back in those days, all the cheap drum sets came with a metal snare drum. I remember it being sort of a big deal (to me anyways) when lower/midline drum sets starting coming with a matching wood snare. I promise I’m not trying to compare an early 90’s Tama Rockstar snare to a Supra or BB, but I have to admit, there’s still a little something in me that keeps me from dropping a respectable amount of money on a metal snare drum. I’ve never spent quality time with a good metal snare drum, so I know I may change my tune one day.

Ludwig are known for the Supras, Acro and Black Beauty. Nothing else really gets a look in.

Look at the higher end companies for a good maple snare. Craviotto, Dunnett, Noble and Cooley etc.

Back