Ludwig Classic Maple - lack of selection?

Warrenwood

I was thinking about buying a new Ludwig set, and I was drawn to the Classic Maple line. But it looks like I cannot order the sizes I want (at least not through Sweetwater or GC.) I want the new kit to be 13-16-20, but Ludwig doesn't sell that combination. If I want a 20" bass, Ludwig only ships with 12" and 14" toms. If I want the 13" and 16", then I have to buy a 22" bass.

I can't find individual drums. I know I can use their configuration Excel sheet to build a custom set, but I've been told I'll pay full retail price.

Anybody know a place that sells individual drums? Thanks!

If you’re lucky you can find custom shells on craigslist or whatever used site you’ve got where you live, otherwise it’s custom order or adapt to the 22 (which I think is a great size but you do you)

As far as I know a Ludwig dealer can order the sizes that you want in the finish that you want, but you won't be able to buy them out of a dealer's stock. Also, I believe that it is less expensive to buy the pre configured sets. I might be wrong on the last point, but you may end up paying individual piece prices.

My dealer said to steer clear of the "quick pick option" and do a custom configuration..he didn't mention individual piece prices though

Call Dennis a Long Island Drum Center. He's awesome!!!

Where I live (Little Rock, AR), my local dealer is GC. I'll reach out to Long Island. It may be that I can't do what I want... if so, c'est la vie.

Thank you everybody!

I was thinking about buying a new Ludwig set, and I was drawn to the Classic Maple line. But it looks like I cannot order the sizes I want (at least not through Sweetwater or GC.) I want the new kit to be 13-16-20, but Ludwig doesn't sell that combination. If I want a 20" bass, Ludwig only ships with 12" and 14" toms. If I want the 13" and 16", then I have to buy a 22" bass.

I can't find individual drums. I know I can use their configuration Excel sheet to build a custom set, but I've been told I'll pay full retail price.

Anybody know a place that sells individual drums? Thanks!

Have you contacted a Sweetwater sales engineer to address this matter? I custom-ordered my Pearl Session Studio Select kit through Sweetwater, and they attained each drum I wanted directly from Pearl. I'm sure they can do the same with Ludwig. You'll pay a bit more, but that's better than getting a shell pack that doesn't meet your specifications.

Ludwig probably has the most component sizes available in their high-end lines out of any major manufacturer, save for maybe DW and Gretsch. Check the "component specs" tab here:

Any Ludwig dealer should be able to order you a kit with a combination of these sizes, not to mention whatever finish and hardware options you choose. I've never heard of a dealer charging full retail though, that's obscene. I'd take my business elsewhere if I were you... Drum Center of Portsmouth and Chicago Drum Exchange are both good options in my experience.

Thanks, everybody!

For right now, I decided to order the 6.5x14 snare through Sweetwater and add it to my 1971 Ludwig kit. Given the money involved for a full kit, I'll wait until I can go to Memphis or Dallas and find a new one to listen to before ordering my own.

Back