Before and after!

I have a few Iron Cobras I collected over the years. My favourite is the strap. It feels like it's an extension of my foot, and it's very light. Feathering is easier, but I can still easily slam four on the floor. It probably has a different cam, but I've never checked it against the other chain ICs.

So, inspired by Bo, I decided to put the strap on my Yamaha 9500 pedal.
I had never really thought about using it until Bo mentioned coming up on a Slingerland Tempo King. That was the second pedal I ever owned.
I switched this morning and have been playing for a little while - so far, so good! I like it.
Thanks Bo!

So, inspired by Bo, I decided to put the strap on my Yamaha 9500 pedal.
I had never really thought about using it until Bo mentioned coming up on a Slingerland Tempo King. That was the second pedal I ever owned.
I switched this morning and have been playing for a little while - so far, so good! I like it.
Thanks Bo!
And another Tempo King disciple! Part of me misses that pedal too. Maybe I should go find one....

I remember cutting leather to replace mine back when I was a kid!
That's what is currently on mine. My mom had a belt back in the 1980's that was the perfect width. Now that I think about it, it's very cool that she let me have it to cut up for my pedal...

About 5 days in, and I'm loving the strap.
They feel faster and not so sluggish.
I definitely agree with this. I'm no speed demon, but it definitely feels faster to me. (Maybe it's just more control?)
Not a fan of strap drives at all really. Something went pop on my Speed Cobra once and a friend lent me his Iron Cobra strap drive and it instantly felt like I had my foot in treacle, the kick sounded about 50% quieter too.
My little experiment has given me very different results. I feel like I have more control over what I want the beater to do and also over dynamics. I can play louder than before (chain), and also much softer. I guess it's all just a matter of opinion. I also put a strap on my own pedal, so all the other settings remained constant.

I'm glad Bo posted this. I never would have tried it otherwise.

About 5 days in, and I'm loving the strap.

I definitely agree with this. I'm no speed demon, but it definitely feels faster to me. (Maybe it's just more control?)

My little experiment has given me very different results. I feel like I have more control over what I want the beater to do and also over dynamics. I can play louder than before (chain), and also much softer. I guess it's all just a matter of opinion. I also put a strap on my own pedal, so all the other settings remained constant.

I'm glad Bo posted this. I never would have tried it otherwise.
Glad you’re diggin it! I am loving mine as well. I went live this past Friday and the pedal performed flawlessly for me and felt so comfortable. I have the two DW5000 strapped and just picked up a Yamaha strap drive when I want to go even lighter (to match my Crosstown stuff)!

Would you call this a modification or a de-modification?

Other than a Speed King I played on when I 8 til I was 12, the cam and strap has been the most used even though I’ve played regular sprockets, accelerator sprockets, direct drives.....I think I’ve tried every innovative pedal out there. None of those ever felt like a cam and strap. I even joked when I had the Pearl Demon Drive Or the Trick pedal with their plethora of adjustments, I made them feel like a cam and strap!

So I took my well-built Accelerators and went backwards ?

View attachment 93409View attachment 93410View attachment 93409View attachment 93410View attachment 93410
I really want to do this, but taking it all apart terrifies me, especially if I start stripping threads/screw-heads or a bearing-race falls apart. Is it something you would recommend to somebody who has never done it? If so, I'll leave well alone and keep scouring eBay for one from around 2002.

I really want to do this, but taking it all apart terrifies me, especially if I start stripping threads/screw-heads or a bearing-race falls apart. Is it something you would recommend to somebody who has never done it? If so, I'll leave well alone and keep scouring eBay for one from around 2002.
You should have no issues. The bearings are sealed, so you need not worry about the race falling out or losing the balls.

The hex shaft is the main thing. Once you take the bolts off the end and undo the Allen screws on the cam and beater holder, the whole thing just slides out of the frame.

You should have no issues. The bearings are sealed, so you need not worry about the race falling out or losing the balls.

The hex shaft is the main thing. Once you take the bolts off the end and undo the Allen screws on the cam and beater holder, the whole thing just slides out of the frame.
Thanks for the response, you are giving me confidence in attempting! I have read on other forums about the bolts/screws/nuts on DW pedals having some sort of 'lock-nut' applied to them in the factory making them initially difficult to remove. Has this been your experience, especially with where the chain attaches to the footplate?

Neck savers

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
  • A03953FB-7BF2-4E90-AE24-696244F11281.jpg
    A03953FB-7BF2-4E90-AE24-696244F11281.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 5
  • AA42ACC2-6272-44FA-80A2-7AA84599F28F.jpg
    AA42ACC2-6272-44FA-80A2-7AA84599F28F.jpg
Thanks for the response, you are giving me confidence in attempting! I have read on other forums about the bolts/screws/nuts on DW pedals having some sort of 'lock-nut' applied to them in the factory making them initially difficult to remove. Has this been your experience, especially with where the chain attaches to the footplate?
I've not worked on a DW specifically, but most pedals are very similar. If you can change a tire, you can do this.

Pedals are assembled by hand. There should not be too much difficulty in removing fasteners unless a threadlocker was used. Then heat is your friend, but I seriously doubt that will be the case.

EDIT: This is for the 8000, but assembly is still the same. The difference lies in the parts, not how it all goes together.

DWCP8000.gif

Last edited:
Been using a Yamaha strap pedal for a few years...works well...a strap is lighter than mechanics maybe thats y it works well.

I've not worked on a DW specifically, but most pedals are very similar. If you can change a tire, you can do this.

Pedals are assembled by hand. There should not be too much difficulty in removing fasteners unless a threadlocker was used. Then heat is your friend, but I seriously doubt that will be the case.

EDIT: This is for the 8000, but assembly is still the same. The difference lies in the parts, not how it all goes together.

View attachment 94719
Now it becomes clear....the exploded diagram, that’s extremely useful, thanks.

Hang on, you're the Drum Doctor! How can you be afraid of probing the innards?

Back