I'd like to hear about your accomplishments and/or things you are proud of

I am adding that saying to my list of great sayings!!!

Congrats Felonious, and RhumbaI have luckily never been addicted to substances, but food was/is my bane. About 7 years ago, I said "F-it, I am tired of being fat", and lost 150ish pounds in 2 years. That feeling of being "unburdened" was awesome. I hope you are getting the same!!! Stay strong!!!
August will be 4 years since I made the bicycle my primary mode of transportation. Lost 30 pounds and pretty much kept it off. It was sort of an accident, but I also didn't like what 185 lbs looked like in the mirror. Long story short is, my truck broke down right before I was to relocate to a new job 2000 miles away. I stored the truck and flew to the new job with my dog and my suitcase. I rented a car from the airport for a week, using it to get to work, as well as shop craigslist ads for furniture and a used bicycle. 4 months later, and 30 lbs lighter, I flew back to fix the truck over Christmas, and drove it back 2000 miles.

The truck stayed parked in the apartment complex while I continued using the bicycle to commute to work which was 2.5 miles one way.

Once you can convince yourself you're worth the time, the rest can be rationalized.

August will be 4 years since I made the bicycle my primary mode of transportation. Lost 30 pounds and pretty much kept it off. It was sort of an accident, but I also didn't like what 185 lbs looked like in the mirror. Long story short is, my truck broke down right before I was to relocate to a new job 2000 miles away. I stored the truck and flew to the new job with my dog and my suitcase. I rented a car from the airport for a week, using it to get to work, as well as shop craigslist ads for furniture and a used bicycle. 4 months later, and 30 lbs lighter, I flew back to fix the truck over Christmas, and drove it back 2000 miles.

The truck stayed parked in the apartment complex while I continued using the bicycle to commute to work which was 2.5 miles one way.

Once you can convince yourself you're worth the time, the rest can be rationalized.
I love stories like this. Thanks, @rhumbagirl

In the early 80s I worked/managed a bicycle shop in San Diego. I grew so much there, and I look back on it with special fondness.

True story:
A portly, not-so-regular customer comes in one day and asks about tandem bikes. At the time there was the Schwinn Cruiser tandem ($450, for flat-land cruising around the pond) and the Santana Tandem ($3000+ made-to-order, cross-country touring tandem). He looks at our sparkly blue Santana floor model, then announces to the shop that he and his wife are in marriage counseling and before they sign divorce papers, they should “spend time on a tandem bike.” We get them measured and configured, and about 4 weeks later their tandem arrives in the shop (sparkly maroon).

The day they picked it up from the shop, they spent $$$ in clothing, panniers, helmets, gloves, and shoes. They were definitely not gonna let the marriage die cheaply. I had them change from their office clothing into their new bun-hugging bike shorts and shoes for a test ride. It did not go well. She squawked and he barked. They only went one block, but it wasn’t pretty. I adjusted the seats & stems, they loaded the bike into the back of a van and drove off.

Three months later, they coasted into the service entrance. Both were 30 pounds lighter, their faces were beaming, their eyes bright, and they announced that buying & riding the tandem was the best thing that ever happened to them.

Beers all around!

Since self-isolation started, I...

1: Finally nailed a DCI drum cadence at tempo that I've been working on/off for nearly 5 years. (Electric Wheelchair)
2: Learned the next groove in Groove Essentials at tempo, been working on that one since Christmas (Groove 87 fast)
3: Published my book! (Life in the Rain)
4: Obtained a visible 6 pack on my abs...been doing a lot of ab workouts!
5: Wrote a pretty cool song about the current political climate
6: Made my first Martini (a Vesper Martini to be exact...big Bond fan)
7: Started drawing digital art on my tablet, loving it!

I love stories like this. Thanks, @rhumbagirl

In the early 80s I worked/managed a bicycle shop in San Diego. I grew so much there, and I look back on it with special fondness.

True story:
A portly, not-so-regular customer comes in one day and asks about tandem bikes. At the time there was the Schwinn Cruiser tandem ($450, for flat-land cruising around the pond) and the Santana Tandem ($3000+ made-to-order, cross-country touring tandem). He looks at our sparkly blue Santana floor model, then announces to the shop that he and his wife are in marriage counseling and before they sign divorce papers, they should “spend time on a tandem bike.” We get them measured and configured, and about 4 weeks later their tandem arrives in the shop (sparkly maroon).

The day they picked it up from the shop, they spent $$$ in clothing, panniers, helmets, gloves, and shoes. They were definitely not gonna let the marriage die cheaply. I had them change from their office clothing into their new bun-hugging bike shorts and shoes for a test ride. It did not go well. She squawked and he barked. They only went one block, but it wasn’t pretty. I adjusted the seats & stems, they loaded the bike into the back of a van and drove off.

Three months later, they coasted into the service entrance. Both were 30 pounds lighter, their faces were beaming, their eyes bright, and they announced that buying & riding the tandem was the best thing that ever happened to them.

Beers all around!
That's a great story CB! It's amazing what a little exercise can do. At first, the motivation is to look good in the mirror. But soon you realize your body likes movement, likes pain. I have logged over 1300 miles this year, and would have 2000 miles if it wasn't for March and April when Covid-19 had me quarantined. My current stats are 14 miles a day with an occasional 28 miler thrown in. And I can eat whatever I want :)

I would say that having a family and maintaining a good quality of life for them on top of being a musician has probably been my biggest accomplishment.

Having the foresight to step away from full time music enough to start my business and getting that off the ground was time well spent - we enjoy vacations and I'm able to afford private schools for my youngest and pay for my eldest's architecture degree on top of doing all the fun music stuff I'm able to do. It's all a dream really - Plus being able to give back with the non-profits I've both founded and run has been outstanding.

Really looking forward to the future! (Just need to get back in shape so I can enjoy all these things for a decade or two longer on the back end haha)

3: Published my book! (Life in the Rain)
4: Obtained a visible 6 pack on my abs...been doing a lot of ab workouts!
7: Started drawing digital art on my tablet, loving it!
#4 is a goal I've deemed impossible for myself, so I have to congratulate you on that one!
#7 is something I've started doing on my iPad using the Notes app. It isn't ideal because you're limited to the page size. It would be really cool to create a wall piece that you print at the local copy store.
#3 - Where is the book published?

#4 is a goal I've deemed impossible for myself, so I have to congratulate you on that one!
#7 is something I've started doing on my iPad using the Notes app. It isn't ideal because you're limited to the page size. It would be really cool to create a wall piece that you print at the local copy store.
#3 - Where is the book published?

4: 4 is more attainable that you think. Visible abs has less to do with the size of the abs themselves and more to do with your bodyfat percentage. Since men generally carry more fat in their stomach, its almost easier for women to get that, even with the disadvantage of having smaller ab muscles. (sorry, I'm a fitness nerd, I can keep going on this but I'll just leave that there)

7: I've used a couple of programs on my Surface, but Krista is free and pretty powerful. I'm not sure if my Facebook is public but I'll link to the latest thing I drew: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10159133567933538&set=pcb.10159133569748538&type=3&theater

3: Amazon, Kobo, Barnes and Noble, and Apple. Here's a link to all the links from my website: https://vainastudios.com/pages/writing.html

Non drumming wise:
In 2008, the company I worked for (an equipment rental co. with a sign department, which I ran) decided that even though our department was one of the only ones that was consistently profitable the entire calendar year among their 14 locations, that they were going to shut it down and outsource the work because "the custom nature of the work creates too much paper work and costs to track - it will be easier to just pay one fee, mark it up and resell it." When I questioned the practicality & logistics of using a company from a state away to letter vehicles, I was told "I'd need an MBA in business to understand it." This was the impetus for me starting my business. The economy in 2008 was in the crapper in a big way, I had zero experience running a business but went for it anyway. Fast forward to today-been in business 12 years and still going strong. (the company I had worked for ultimately closed down the branch I was at and the building they owned sat empty for 8-9 years with a 35K tax liability per yer & is down to 2 locations.) Good thing I studied at the University of Rock & Roll and didn't waste my time getting an MBA!
In the early 90's, I was into racing cars for a bunch of years with limited success. After about 6 years off, I got back into it and got really dedicated and won 2 championships in 2 years. Raced through the first few years of the business and stepped away due to not having the proper amount of time to put into it. (I'm going to the track to win, not just ride around!)

On the drumming side, I was fortunate enough to end up in two bands that were known/influencial in their respective genres and got to tour the US and Europe multiple times, which was something I didn't think would happen when I started playing. Although it's not an "accomplishment" (more like luck), I survived the same type of cancer that took Randy Castillo during my band days. A bunch of fans and friends put together a benefit show for me at CBGB's, which was one of the coolest/most appreciated things that ever happened to me. Truely humbling. After taking about 8 years off of playing to focus on my business, I got asked by my old band mates if I'd be interested in doing an album with their new band after their drummer left which got me back into playing. Even though it looks like that project might never come to fruition, it got me back behind my kit, and I couldn't be happier to be playing again.

4: 4 is more attainable that you think. Visible abs has less to do with the size of the abs themselves and more to do with your bodyfat percentage. Since men generally carry more fat in their stomach, its almost easier for women to get that, even with the disadvantage of having smaller ab muscles. (sorry, I'm a fitness nerd, I can keep going on this but I'll just leave that there)

7: I've used a couple of programs on my Surface, but Krista is free and pretty powerful. I'm not sure if my Facebook is public but I'll link to the latest thing I drew: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10159133567933538&set=pcb.10159133569748538&type=3&theater

3: Amazon, Kobo, Barnes and Noble, and Apple. Here's a link to all the links from my website: https://vainastudios.com/pages/writing.html
Thanks for the links, Justin! Looks like we're neighbors. Maybe I can clean up the house and invite the Portland gang over LOL!

EDIT: "John" is the character in the book. Sorry :)

Last edited:
I quit cigarettes on August of 2011!
The hardest thing I ever had to do!
I'm taking care of my beautiful, loving wife of 18 years, Barbara Ann, who has had Alzheimers since 2006.
Always, always take good care of your loved ones.

I go for a Pet Scan of my lungs tomorrow.

Wish me luck....

I quit cigarettes on August of 2011!
The hardest thing I ever had to do!
I'm taking care of my beautiful, loving wife of 18 years, Barbara Ann, who has had Alzheimers since 2006.
Always, always take good care of your loved ones.

I go for a Pet Scan of my lungs tomorrow.

Wish me luck....
Good Luck!!

wow...I can't even quote all of the great stuff that is in the above threads, but congrats to all for maximizing their time and making good choices!!

I took a job a few months ago that I wasn't sure would pan out, it was a contract position and I don't have education beyond high school but I just got hired on as a full time employee making double what I was making 4 months ago. The risk paid off!

My biggest drum accomplishment as of late is that I got a righteous deal on a Roland TD25KV so I can practice at home without pissing off my wife!

13 years ago I wanted to create a darkwave album of music I would enjoy. I knew it would be very niche and not sell much, but I wanted to do it for me. I met a singer and made it happen.

6 years ago I vowed that was the last time I was getting laid off, and started my own business from scratch. now I have 4 employees and am hiring more.

I'm pretty sure I have some undocumented learning disabilities, but I've managed to get three college degrees from a well-respected university. After being labeled "not college material" in 8th grade, now teach at the college level.

Playing music comes easy to me. I can play 15-20 different instruments, and some of them I play pretty well even though I've not had any lessons for the vast majority of them, and I learned them all before YouTube got so big. The downside is I feel I've never had a chance to do anything that great with the talent I have. If I would have had more support and opportunities early on, I think I could have done some really great things in the music industry.

Believe me when I say I have a ton of flaws and demons I wrestle on a regular basis. I have to remind myself of my strengths every once in a while to keep it together, you know?

Thanks for allowing me to brag! Looking forward to what y'all have to say about yourselves!
One of your best accomplishments is you are super kind and helpful to everyone on this site.

And life is short, make the best of it.
I want to live to 94 (year 2060). That's based on how my parents currently look in their 80s, and the fact that my grandfather, who grew up in the Great Depression and worked on cars his whole life, lived to be 95. Will the last ten years be the longest though?

My youngest daughter was Dx'd with autism at 18 months. The leading pediatric neurologist at Childrens Hospital in Philly told us she'd probably never speak. My wife and I said that we weren't willing to concede that. Through much hard work with therapy, early intervention, Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS), seemingly endless autism seminars, and with a personalized eval and plan laid out by Yale Child Study Center, she has not only overcome speech and behavioral delays but has gone on to graduate from University of Pittsburgh (PITT) with an honors degree in Japanese language/Asian Culture. She now works for High Mark Health. Huge credit to Andrew Bondi PhD (University of Delaware), Dr Umi Klin and Dr Fred Volkmar ( Yale University), my wife Kathy and my oldest daughter Andrea.

Oh, and on a much smaller scale, I've played in bands with people that were in some fairly big name bands. I also did some live and studio work for Cleveland International, a subsidiary of Epic records w/ fellow Clevelander and Epic A&R man Steve Popovich in the 70's and 80's.

Back