new 2 me pre loved kit

And I mean pre-loved! I don't think I've ever seen a kit in this nice condition for being 9 years old. Hats off to @LeftyDoug for a screaming deal on an absolutely gorgeous set of Gretsch Renowns. We met halfway in OHIO somewhere. I got to meet him and his lovely wife Amy. Great people! Here's some pics.

Attachments

• crop 1.jpg
    crop 1.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 70
  • crop 2.jpg
    crop 2.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 71
  • crop 3.jpg
    crop 3.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 68
  • crop 4.jpg
    crop 4.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 58
Nice set of drums for sure but did you make sure they can be set up for right handed play. Lefty's have a tendency to lean a little. Your lawn looks like mine.
Thanks John. Man, the sooner this heat wave is over the better. It just absolutely burned out my grass. I haven't cut it in a month. We don't get extended heat waves like this in Pittsburgh/Appalachia. It's seems hotter here than out west because our humidity is always pretty high. It's killin' us.

I just set them up and I think I'll be ok playing righty. ;)

Last edited:
You done good! The renowns are awesome drums. Have you owned and Gretsch drums before? Looking forward to what you think of them.
Yeah, This is actually my 3rd Renown set and 6th Gretsch kit. I had an Onyx '57 and a new RN-2. A lot of stuff I had got shuffled around as I tried to position myself to get my Prolite kit. I just got them set up but haven't tuned them to "Darth Spec" yet. They are in absolutely fabulous condition. @LeftyDoug is THE MAN !! (y)(y)

Last edited:
I'm thinking a nice USA Bronze 6.5x14 would look/sound killer with these eh? Maybe if we get another stim check. LOL

I can't even tell you how much I love mine!! Join the club - you get a jacket!

Attachments

• IMG_2709.JPG
    IMG_2709.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 7
Glad you are happy with the kit. They served me well and I am sure they will do the same for you. It was great to meet you today and what great day it was for a drive! I’d also like to add that @Darth Vater has been great to deal with from start to finish, so don’t hesitate to do business with him at all.

Last edited:
Glad you are happy with the kit. They served me well and I am sure they will do the same for you. It was great to meet you today and what great day it was for a drive! I’d also like to add that Darth has been great to deal with from start to finish, so don’t hesitate to do business with him at all.
Thanks Doug. Same here. Like I said previously, I've never seen a pre-owned kit in this condition. Doesn't get any better than this.

Why would Darth want to diminish the value of his Renowns ? ???

Ha! I'm cool with Gretsch -- or pretty much with any manufacturer, for that matter. Darth and I just like to joke about the brand wars. You'd think some guys own stock in these companies considering how personally they take this stuff.

Ha! I'm cool with Gretsch -- or pretty much with any manufacturer, for that matter. Darth and I just like to joke about the brand wars. You'd think some guys own stock in these companies considering how personally they take this stuff.

I figured as much - I was just pulling your leg about the Pearl badge .

I figured as much - I was just pulling your leg about the Pearl badge .
The badge is the one knock I have against the older Renown series. Someone here on the forum once said they look like they belong on a bowling trophy...lol.
Still, it wouldn’t deter me from owning a set of them. They sound amazing.

The badge is the one knock I have against the older Renown series. Someone here on the forum once said they look like they belong on a bowling trophy...lol.
Still, it wouldn’t deter me from owning a set of them. They sound amazing.
The stop sign badge Renowns have 100% North American Rock Maple. That's a good thing. Once they moved to the round badges (RN1, RN2) they started to use a mix of that and some asian maple too. In addition to that the rack toms on the stop signs have the standard depth (12x9, 10x8) as opposed to the fast tom sizes of the newer RN's. That's funny you say that about the stop sign badge. I was just thinking of the various brands and how certain little things tend to stigmatize them.

DW - Devo hat lugs, John Good.
Mapex - Badge, name.
Pearl- Tom arms, numerous lines that appear and disappear, the longest model names in history.
Gretsch - Some badges, some logos, mysterious silver sealer
Tama - The word STAR in every kit range's name
Ludwig - Million years of bad snare strainers
Sonor - Over engineered hardware
Yamaha - Are they even a drum company? Everything is custom something LOL.

Any others?

Last edited:
Back