One or two air toms? Are air toms difficult to buy separately?

And I want to buy a Catalina Maple Rock.
Can you post a link of the actual kit you're looking at. I'm finding a Catalina "Rock" kit, (Catalina Club Rock) with a 24" bass drum ..... but not in maple (it's mahogany). And it offered as a 4 piece (bass, rack, floor, snare) ...... and the bass drum is virgin.

These are pretty popular kits, so adding additional drums shouldn't be a problem ..... but there is always that chance.

Also thank you! English is not my native language, but Spanish, so I had no idea about the terminology. Your clarification is very useful.
So, do you live in Spain or one of the Americas? Shipping can get expensive! Also look for used classified sites and if you find a decent set with enough toms, get it. Catalinas may be alright but there are many alternatives. If you want to buy new, most users will recommend the Yamaha Stage Customs.
I would not buy a used set without a small tom that you would like to buy later - a theoretically ubiquitous tom like a black Pearl Export can be difficult to find online if you're not lucky. Unless you find a REALLY good deal of course, then just buy it if it's a local deal. :)

Yamaha Stage Custom Birch drums could be just what you're looking for. They're available just about everywhere and add-on drums are inexpensive and easy to buy. Better still, they're beautifully made, durable, and sound fantastic.

I picked up a 5-piece shell pack a few months ago and had no problem ordering 14", 13" and 8" toms afterwards.

I'm a Gretsch fan too but I get the impression that the Stage Customs are a better value than the Catalinas. If Gretsch is what you want, go with the Renowns.

Gretsch lists only 10" and 13" add on toms in the Catalina Club series. Why they don't offer the 12" completely confuses me since the ROCK outfit only has a 13" tom.
That said, I really like the tonal spread of using 10-13-16" toms, so you may want to go for that anyway.

That said, I really like the tonal spread of using 10-13-16" toms, so you may want to go for that anyway.
I agree, I like that spread also. It's what I run right now. Much better for me than 12-13-16 or 10-12-16.

So, do you live in Spain or one of the Americas? Shipping can get expensive! Also look for used classified sites and if you find a decent set with enough toms, get it. Catalinas may be alright but there are many alternatives. If you want to buy new, most users will recommend the Yamaha Stage Customs.
I would not buy a used set without a small tom that you would like to buy later - a theoretically ubiquitous tom like a black Pearl Export can be difficult to find online if you're not lucky. Unless you find a REALLY good deal of course, then just buy it if it's a local deal. :)

I am from México! Tacos and the whole deal, love it.

But yes, it gets pretty expensive. The only issue is that retailers here tend to lack variety, but maybe I am not looking correctly so don't take my word for that. I am looking into Sweetwater because they have a huge catalog and right now they have deals that make the shipping worth it.

I have actually played in a borrowed Stage Costum for the last 3 years. It is indeed an amazing kit, pretty solid in quality. I am considering buying another one just because I want to experience something different, but would definitely recommend Yamaha.

I have exactly zero experience with classifieds. Are they sites like craigslist? I would love to hear more insight on this.

Yamaha Stage Custom Birch drums could be just what you're looking for. They're available just about everywhere and add-on drums are inexpensive and easy to buy. Better still, they're beautifully made, durable, and sound fantastic.

I picked up a 5-piece shell pack a few months ago and had no problem ordering 14", 13" and 8" toms afterwards.

I'm a Gretsch fan too but I get the impression that the Stage Customs are a better value than the Catalinas. If Gretsch is what you want, go with the Renowns.

I keep hearing from Yamaha and I will have to seriously consider them now. Again, I have had true fun with a Stage Costum, didn't know they were even better than a Catalina because it's the only kit I have played.

I will also look into renown, thanks!

Can you post a link of the actual kit you're looking at. I'm finding a Catalina "Rock" kit, (Catalina Club Rock) with a 24" bass drum ..... but not in maple (it's mahogany). And it offered as a 4 piece (bass, rack, floor, snare) ...... and the bass drum is virgin.

These are pretty popular kits, so adding additional drums shouldn't be a problem ..... but there is always that chance.

I would love to link not only that Catalina Rock but also my other options so far. Maybe you can help me decide. They are all 3 piece shell packs.

PDP Maple Rock in Satin Black (love the finish)
The only issue I have is that this model is apparently very new and I only have references from other PDP models on youtube. Can I trust them?

Catalina Club Rock in Gloss Crimson
I am considering this kit because I fell in love with the jazz model that belongs to my drum school. I am of course pondering better options if any.

Pearl Decade in White Satin
This kit is probably great for the value. The only issue is that I don't like any of the available colors (they look sexy nonetheless). It may be worth it to overlook that.

I am also looking into Mapex and Tama, they may have what I need. The top of my budget is $900. Any advice is appreciated!

Also, it is my first time on these forums and I am very pleased by all the interest and help I am receiving. Y'all so friendly.

I was going to say Seawater has the best shells, but shipping seems like it's on the slow boat to china and they always seem to have moisture damage, but let it be since English isn't his native tongue.

I sea what you did there. ;)

I think he should get a floating snare with the kit.

Maybe I should be offended but I am having a blast with all the puns my mistakes triggered. It would be lovely that Seawater had the best shells indeed hahaha

Sure thing. Stray toms, sometimes brand-new ones, are always floating around for one reason or another.
Yes, air toms always seem to float around, don't they? I mean, their light weight is commendable, but when you have to find a step ladder just to retrieve the ones that floated all the way up to the ceiling—those are the days I miss my old standard "rack toms".

Air toms have proven to be both a joy and a hassle.

I have exactly zero experience with classifieds. Are they sites like craigslist? I would love to hear more insight on this.
Yes, that's what I meant. Sites like these:
I'd always start by looking locally. Maybe you can look there and post some sets that are in your area (and within your budget) and then we can recommend what the best deal is. Drums haven't changed dramatically over the last few decades. Sure, there are new mounting systems and so on but for your first set, I'd look for something not too expensive and sturdy. Play it for a couple of years and when you know exactly what you need, sell the set locally and get most of your money back = rented set for free. :)
This site is a great summary when it comes to buying used drums and cymbals:

Yes, air toms always seem to float around, don't they? I mean, their light weight is commendable, but when you have to find a step ladder just to retrieve the ones that floated all the way up to the ceiling—those are the days I miss my old standard "rack toms".

Air toms have proven to be both a joy and a hassle.

To me, the greatest asset of air toms is that they transport themselves, not unlike Han Solo's carbon-freeze chamber in The Empire Strikes Back. Just activate their levitation mechanism, and air toms float on atoms. Take the backbreaking work out of gigging. Get a set of self-propelled air toms.

I would love to link not only that Catalina Rock but also my other options so far. Maybe you can help me decide. They are all 3 piece shell packs.
I am also looking into Mapex and Tama, they may have what I need. The top of my budget is $900. Any advice is appreciated!
Of your 3 choices .... PDP ...... not a big fan of the 12" rack tom. I think a 13" would be much better suited with a 24" bass drum. But excellent drums. And good add on options. However, they don't make a 13" rack tom? Rather than another rack tom add-on (10"), I'd opt for a second floor tom (14x12 or 18x16) ..... 1 up, 2 down ..... that's how I like to roll.:)

The Catalina, again, 10" rack tom option. I'd add another floor tom.

Pearl, by far, gives you the best add-on options ..... 8, 10, 12, or 14 inch rack toms. 14 or 18 inch floor toms.

Mapex Mars ..... they do have a 24" rock kit. Birch shells. 12" rack tom. Not sure how hard add-ons would be.

Tama Superstar ..... doesn't seem to offer a 24" bass drum in a shell pack, so you'd have to special order/add-on.

Yamaha Stage Custom .... same as Tama .....

Last edited:
You'll have no problem using 2 rack toms with a virgin bass drum. You'll just need two tom arm clamps the will clamp onto your cymbal stands. I beg you not to buy a Gretsch Catalina Maple. I had one and it was one of the worst kits I've ever owned. Check out Mapex Armory, Pearl decade(?), used Gretsch Renown, ......c'mon boys help him out here with the sub $1000 stuff. Sonor AQ2 maybe?

Wow this is a harsh truth. I will look into your recommendations. Why did you dislike your Catalina?

Wow this is a harsh truth. I will look into your recommendations. Why did you dislike your Catalina?
A serious lack of tone. I tried several different head combinations. Would not stay in any state of tune. The finish started hazing less than a year from new. I blame myself to a degree in that I bought them without trying them first. If you can, at least try them first. I hear the Catalina Clubs are much better than the Catalina Maples.

Back