15" hats

Andy

Honorary Member
For this track, it's been years since I used my double pedal too. TBH, I only used it here for a bit of embellishment, & the fact I'm not good enough to pull off the end fill in 5 cleanly without it :(

15" hats really work on the sloshy stuff, so they were a natural choice.

Anyhow, unmixed part backing for the latest Fired Up lockdown recording. Pretty sure you can guess the song.

Just looooved it ! One of my all time favs - we play it and I just love playing it. It looks like you really, really enjoyed it. Loved the bit of video that was included - it fits really well with the "theme" at that part of the song. Thanks for posting.

Pretty damn good for an old guy, although odds are I'm older than you. Not sure what that means but inverted compliment comes to mind. Then again I'm not even sure what that means. Good job my friend says it all.

For this track.

It's been years since I used my double pedal, & TBH, I only used it here for a bit of embellishment, & the fact I'm not good enough to pull off the end fill in 5 cleanly without it :(

15" hats really work on the sloshy stuff, so they were a natural choice.

Anyhow, unmixed part backing for the latest Fired Up lockdown recording. Pretty sure you can guess the song.

Nice! Your set looks so comfortable to play!!

I have only ever had 15" (1995 Zildjian Quick Beats) HH cymbs, and they are so freaking versatile. I have used them in everything from prog death metal to pit orchestra playing West Side Story / Oklahoma etc...

like yours, they sound great!!

I like the tempo of your version better. :) Not sure it’s legal to have that much fun though!

Just looooved it ! One of my all time favs - we play it and I just love playing it. It looks like you really, really enjoyed it. Loved the bit of video that was included - it fits really well with the "theme" at that part of the song. Thanks for posting.
Thank you :) Middle bit was just me playing around a little with chroma screen + a still image and a very long blur transition.

Pretty damn good for an old guy, although odds are I'm older than you. Not sure what that means but inverted compliment comes to mind. Then again I'm not even sure what that means. Good job my friend says it all.
Thank you - difficult to translate energy at this age without looking a complete tit - then I remember Tommy Aldridge!!!!

Nice! Your set looks so comfortable to play!!
Thanks, & yes, I'm right at home with this setup - remained pretty much as is for many years. All elements get used, & it's very compact too. Funny how most players don't recognise there's two 10" toms ;)

I have only ever had 15" (1995 Zildjian Quick Beats) HH cymbs, and they are so freaking versatile. I have used them in everything from prog death metal to pit orchestra playing West Side Story / Oklahoma etc...

like yours, they sound great!!
Thank you - I use 14" hats for probably 80% of what I play, but I love wielding out the 15s. Funny you should reference Zildjian Quick Beats, as these are Amedia Old School series, and they echo very much the profile of 50's - 70's cymbals.

I like the tempo of your version better. :) Not sure it’s legal to have that much fun though!
Completely legal :) Yes, our version is up tempo, but Neil Young comes close in some of his live performances. For us, it works. The extra pace means we accent things a bit differently.

This song is usually in the encore list, & honestly, we didn't pay it much attention until we decided to record it on lockdown. Not being able to play shows is a PITA for sure, but this recording malarky has encouraged us to examine parts, & I'd like to think improved the band delivery when we finally get back out there.

Sounded great Andy. That was some pretty neat camera work to go along with that good music. I played 15" relatively heavy zildjian that were haphazardly put together from ages of 20 years old to around 35. After the top one cracked I cut them down to 14 in and sold them and bought a set of 15 in New Beats and they weren't the same at all. Ended up playing 14's until just recently I bought some vintage 15 inch Rock Zildjians and I love them they remind me so much of the ones I played when I was younger. And I recently joined a classic rock band to go along with my country band I use the 15s for the classic rock.

Thanks, & yes, I'm right at home with this setup - remained pretty much as is for many years. All elements get used, & it's very compact too. Funny how most players don't recognise there's two 10" toms ;)

Andy - two 10" toms is illegal - I'm sorry but the coalition for 8" toms has been notified and are on the way to speak to you.

Top shelf.
Thanks Harry - Simple, but satisfying :)

Sounded great Andy. That was some pretty neat camera work to go along with that good music. I played 15" relatively heavy zildjian that were haphazardly put together from ages of 20 years old to around 35. After the top one cracked I cut them down to 14 in and sold them and bought a set of 15 in New Beats and they weren't the same at all. Ended up playing 14's until just recently I bought some vintage 15 inch Rock Zildjians and I love them they remind me so much of the ones I played when I was younger. And I recently joined a classic rock band to go along with my country band I use the 15s for the classic rock.
Thank you my friend :)

I got lucky with these 15" hats - I say lucky, but honestly, I've never had an Amedia that's disappointed me, not even a little bit. I have a set of this Old School series, and every piece is a gem if you like that slightly dry & short vibe. For me, they're a perfect recording cymbal.

Andy - two 10" toms is illegal - I'm sorry but the coalition for 8" toms has been notified and are on the way to speak to you.
Hahaha - I have an identical set with an 8, 10, 12, 16 tom layout, but in walnut, & with English ash hoops. Hopefully that keeps me out of jail ;)

P.S. I once built a set with three 10" toms - that should freak out any coalition!

The whole thing sounds superb :) Just invested in some 15" hats (Paiste 2002 SE) & really looking forward to using them :)

Report filed and our "inteview team" is dispatched to undisclosed location :p

I've also been flirting with the idea of 15" hats. Never played one, but with all the gear videos around and product demonstrations 15" hi-hats sound just so nice! I have 14" New Beats (13" on x-hat, but going to leave that out in favor or a multi functional stack) so the 15" are the most obvious contender. I like my 14" New Beats, but i'm pulled towards a 15" set of hats. 2002 SE are an option, but also like the Big Beats.
Thomas Lang used 15" Byzance Dark hats for a while and interested in those too!

Excellent job, Andy.
As others have pointed out, it looks like you really enjoy playing. I think that makes a huge difference. I can't stand watching a drummer who looks absolutely bored even if they nail it note for note. Attitude brings so much more to the performance.

Excellent, amped up rendition of the song. I pinched my nose and sang right along. :)

The whole thing sounds superb :) Just invested in some 15" hats (Paiste 2002 SE) & really looking forward to using them :)
Thank you :)

I haven't played Paiste cymbals in decades. Always found them bright & cutting (glassy). Great for unmiced rock gigs!

Report filed and our "inteview team" is dispatched to undisclosed location :p

I've also been flirting with the idea of 15" hats. Never played one, but with all the gear videos around and product demonstrations 15" hi-hats sound just so nice! I have 14" New Beats (13" on x-hat, but going to leave that out in favor or a multi functional stack) so the 15" are the most obvious contender. I like my 14" New Beats, but i'm pulled towards a 15" set of hats. 2002 SE are an option, but also like the Big Beats.
Thomas Lang used 15" Byzance Dark hats for a while and interested in those too!
For me, darker / shorter 15s work as a contrast to my available alternatives, and these sit beautifully with a complete set of the same series (not used in this video)

Excellent job, Andy.
As others have pointed out, it looks like you really enjoy playing. I think that makes a huge difference. I can't stand watching a drummer who looks absolutely bored even if they nail it note for note. Attitude brings so much more to the performance.

Excellent, amped up rendition of the song. I pinched my nose and sang right along. :)
Thank you :) Yes, our version is certainly pacy compared to the recorded original, & for us, that encourages a slightly different arrangement + accenting.

Gobbist has yet to record, so once he's dragged his sorry arse in front of a mic, & I've managed to stitch together a load of phone camera clips, I'll post it up here :)

You will (probably) love them. I adore mine, purchased for outdoor gigs where I wanted more volume and cut. Larger hi-hats are terrific. I'm waiting on a pair of 16" K Sweet hats to arrive soon.

As to the topic at hand, superb playing and wonderful sounding drums, Andy!

Enjoyable video to listen to and to watch!

You will (probably) love them. I adore mine, purchased for outdoor gigs where I wanted more volume and cut. Larger hi-hats are terrific. I'm waiting on a pair of 16" K Sweet hats to arrive soon.

As to the topic at hand, superb playing and wonderful sounding drums, Andy!

My particular 15" hats are on the medium - quieter side of the spectrum, as are the other cymbals in that series. In this video, I'm marrying the 15" hats with my usual live set cymbals that are typically brighter, a little louder, and of longer sustain compared to their Old School series counterparts.

Enjoyable video to listen to and to watch!
Thank you :)

Back