Can Someone Do a Big Favor For Me???

Can someone here who is a long time drummer do a quick video lesson of how to do Don't Ever Want to Lose Ya' on here for me? I could probably send you money on the mail if you can do it but it would have to be cash of like $20 or $25 is the highest i can do?

Thanks I just want to be allowed to learn it right so I can show the guys at Guitar Center I am a good drummer too.

Thank You!!

Aaron aka LudwigRocker

OK - I'm guessing you're having a problem with quadruplets in the fills? He does the same fill throughout so I think if you concentrate on getting your quadruplets together, you'll have the whole song figured. However, at your age, I can see that you think the quadruplet fills are the most important part. Not so! If you do not groove the solid 2 & 4 during the verses and the choruses, then nobody will care that you nail the fills, because fills do NOT make the song, and the song will suffer. In fact, if you played this with an actual band, and didn't play the fills but held solid time, that band will most likely hire you (rather than be impressed with the fills but your groove sucks). Take it from me, I remember being young and wanting to nail all these fills but wondered why nobody wanted me to play in their band - it's because my groove suffered.

My advice - don't hear the fills - hear the song and what you play for 99% of it. Concentrate on that and just be a solid player.

That said, you know what quadruplets are, right?

Thank you Bo Eder. I am tryig to get it right and put the song on to practice. My regular teacher who can not give me lessons anymore told me to match my metrodome to the song. Once you know the song work on it a few bars at a time that is what I am doing.

So you say thatI should just play it straight first and ignore the fills and then go back and learn them?

I know how todo a quadruplet with the 1/8th on the end. I know a lot of you are rock drummers and stuff but I have to play in the school band and they make you read music. It's not cool but beats class haha and it is drums!

I can do it slow but need to learn to make it faster I guess?

Thank you Bo Eder. I am tryig to get it right and put the song on to practice. My regular teacher who can not give me lessons anymore told me to match my metrodome to the song. Once you know the song work on it a few bars at a time that is what I am doing.

So you say thatI should just play it straight first and ignore the fills and then go back and learn them?

I know how todo a quadruplet with the 1/8th on the end. I know a lot of you are rock drummers and stuff but I have to play in the school band and they make you read music. It's not cool but beats class haha and it is drums!

I can do it slow but need to learn to make it faster I guess?
Yes. A lot of us are rock drummers and a lot of us have played in the school band. A lot of us have majored in music in college too. But one important lesson your band director probably hasn’t gotten to us the concept of “getting to the next bar in time”. Music happens in constant and consistent time, so as you’re playing along in time, when you get to a bar that’s full of notes to execute, if you execute them wrong, stay in time and just get to the next bar. As you do it more and more, your execution of the difficult passages will improve, but your groove is present.

Yes. A lot of us are rock drummers and a lot of us have played in the school band. A lot of us have majored in music in college too. But one important lesson your band director probably hasn’t gotten to us the concept of “getting to the next bar in time”. Music happens in constant and consistent time, so as you’re playing along in time, when you get to a bar that’s full of notes to execute, if you execute them wrong, stay in time and just get to the next bar. As you do it more and more, your execution of the difficult passages will improve, but your groove is present.

Thank you I try to not stop that is what my teacher says.

Here's my thought on this.

This dude is either trolling the entire community between this post and his last.

OR, the dude at Guitar Center made this song and is messing with this kid.

The dude at GC indeed made this song. He was the drummer for the band New England. Ever hear of them? Me neither.

OK - I'm guessing you're having a problem with quadruplets in the fills? He does the same fill throughout so I think if you concentrate on getting your quadruplets together, you'll have the whole song figured. However, at your age, I can see that you think the quadruplet fills are the most important part. Not so! If you do not groove the solid 2 & 4 during the verses and the choruses, then nobody will care that you nail the fills, because fills do NOT make the song, and the song will suffer. In fact, if you played this with an actual band, and didn't play the fills but held solid time, that band will most likely hire you (rather than be impressed with the fills but your groove sucks). Take it from me, I remember being young and wanting to nail all these fills but wondered why nobody wanted me to play in their band - it's because my groove suffered.

My advice - don't hear the fills - hear the song and what you play for 99% of it. Concentrate on that and just be a solid player.

That said, you know what quadruplets are, right?

Matt, I agree 100% with what you are saying, and that is sound advice, but the thing that this guy at GC is hung up on is how supposedly every drummer that tries to play his song gets the intro wrong. He even mentions it in an interview the OP posted in another thread. I know the groove and solid 2 & 4 are crucial but the focus for this kid's goal is the quadruplets. That's what he apparently needs to prove his worth to this rockstar wannabe at GC.

The dude at GC indeed made this song. He was the drummer for the band New England. Ever hear of them? Me neither.

Matt, I agree 100% with what you are saying, and that is sound advice, but the thing that this guy at GC is hung up on is how supposedly every drummer that tries to play his song gets the intro wrong. He even mentions it in an interview the OP posted in another thread. I know the groove and solid 2 & 4 are crucial but the focus for this kid's goal is the quadruplets. That's what he apparently needs to prove his worth to this rockstar wannabe at GC.
I hate to take the high brow approach and say something like, “there’s a reason this guy is working at GC now.....”. But hey, the guy got to make an actual music product that did get played as a video. He’s no Bermuda Schwartz but he got to do something. I’ve never done that and I guess I’d be touting my feather in my cap as long as I could. I know a guy who STILL talks about his production involvement with the band Great White.

I hate to take the high brow approach and say something like, “there’s a reason this guy is working at GC now.....”. But hey, the guy got to make an actual music product that did get played as a video.

Don't sell yourself short....you too could have a fan made video of one of your songs (that's what that is, btw).

My comment to you wasn't so much intended as a dig on the GC manager, but rather an attempt to steer you in the direction of what the kid wanted someone to teach him via video. It's the intro that he's wanting to learn. I mistakenly thought you had volunteered to do so, but upon rereading the thread, that was just a poor assumption on my part. My apologies.

I know a guy who STILL talks about his production involvement with the band Great White.

I hope it's not the pyrotechnician. :oops:

Don't sell yourself short....you too could have a fan made video of one of your songs (that's what that is, btw).

My comment to you wasn't so much intended as a dig on the GC manager, but rather an attempt to steer you in the direction of what the kid wanted someone to teach him via video. It's the intro that he's wanting to learn. I mistakenly thought you had volunteered to do so, but upon rereading the thread, that was just a poor assumption on my part. My apologies.

I hope it's not the pyrotechnician. :oops:
No, I like to teach where people figure it out for themselves. If I show somebody how to do it, then they’re not doing any of the work ?

and no, it wasn’t the pyrotechnician. This buddy actually worked on the songwriting end and got one of their gold records presented to him. But when I knew him, it was already like 10 years later and I thought his whole attitude was insufferable.

Can someone here who is a long time drummer do a quick video lesson of how to do Don't Ever Want to Lose Ya' on here for me? I could probably send you money on the mail if you can do it but it would have to be cash of like $20 or $25 is the highest i can do?

Thanks I just want to be allowed to learn it right so I can show the guys at Guitar Center I am a good drummer too.

Thank You!!

Aaron aka LudwigRocker

I hope somebody that moderates this Forum sees this. And the other posts of this person.

and no, it wasn’t the pyrotechnician. This buddy actually worked on the songwriting end and got one of their gold records presented to him. But when I knew him, it was already like 10 years later and I thought his whole attitude was insufferable.
Sounds like Al Bundy syndrome to me. You know, Al always talks about scoring 5 touchdowns at the championship game in his senior year at Polk high. Yep, Al Bundy syndrome.

Sounds like Al Bundy syndrome to me. You know, Al always talks about scoring 5 touchdowns at the championship game in his senior year at Polk high. Yep, Al Bundy syndrome.
Yeah. I try to be cool and let people go on about what they’ve done and usually they figure it out or at least remember who they tell their stories to so they know not to repeat once again, but a lot of times they don’t remember and continue to prattle on. But that’s ok.

Back