Drum Gear Photography

Me. Because I’d never seen hoar frost in such abundant form. (Hoar frost is made when it’s foggy and the air temperature drops below freezing, causing the moisture to freeze & crystallize on everything.)
Cool, I had no idea what that was called. We get that here on the mountain a lot in the winter. It really is beautiful.

Though this is my kit, I must confess, I refer to this quality pic often, and can make a woodshed session in my own head. In time I have taken so many images of this view and this one came out the best. Some too far and some way too close...
By the way, does anyone else’s “mind” play on a kit with drum images shown from atop I.e. cockpit or birds eye?
View attachment 94143
Interesting kit. Guessing its vintage? I would chop the hihat rod off and get it out of your way

Interesting kit. Guessing its vintage? I would chop the hihat rod off and get it out of your way
Yessr early vista kit, originally a power factory configuration concert toms sizes 10”-18”. I added 6” and 8” later, to form an octaplus config, if your familiar with the history of Ludwig vistas, ruby color was discontinued early on in the vista tenure due to slow sales. They don’t even reissue in this color nowadays, go through RCI - see my 6” and 8” toms.

No sir on the chopping of the hi hat rod, that’s an original Luddie as well, if you notice my kit has the toms 6”-12” are on Hercules boom tom stands. (Not sure if those were put together or if they made boom tom stands, brought the pair a year or so ago at a pawn shop, and they hold real well with no slipping).

I have no issue riding on the toms over the rod, the HH rod tip sits flush with the lower tom rim lip, but staggered between two toms.

Drums-JW 2.jpg

Taken with a Canon VIXIA HF10 Camcorder (that's right a camcorder) using the "snapshot" function, using available light (LED's in kicks and behind rack bars, 3 track lights approximately 11' above and shining on a light colored wall above black backdrop, minimal twilight entering through windows 11' up and in front of the kit and an RGB LED under the riser). It took a number of shots to get the fog to enter and stay in the center under the riser. No photoshop used other than to adjust contrast/brightness.

Last edited:
I wish I had more time to dedicate to studying the art of photography, alas the drum room keeps calling my name. Music is such a jealous woman at times...
I know this all too well.
Conversation earlier tonight with my wife -
Me: I wish we had a telescope.
Her: Why don’t we? How much do they cost?
Me: Doesn‘t matter, I’d just use the money buy a snare drum and keep wishing I had a telescope.

Me: Doesn‘t matter, I’d just use the money buy a snare drum and keep wishing I had a telescope.

Hahaha, brilliant ?

I do the same thing with drum gear!
Me: Wish I had a Trick driveshaft.
Wife: So buy one.
Me 5 years later: Wish I had a Trick driveshaft.

She ended up buying it for me.

Get a telescope, they are awesome. You can get lost for hours looking at celestial objects. And then you will stop wanting one!

A great pair of powerful binoculars are easier to look through, for me anyway. I too wanted a telescope, got one, and hardly used it. Unless you have a motorized computer tracker maybe. Otherwise, it's just constant adjusting it seemed.

I have a medium powered set of binoculars and I can see the moons of Jupiter, and I particularly like the sword (actually a nebulae) of Orion's belt,
all kinds of stuff. I live between Trenton NJ and Philadelphia PA so the sky around me is very light polluted. I envy those that have a great nightime sky. Binoculars are just easier and more pleasant. I'll sit in my hot tub and just binoc the sky.

Last edited:
A great pair of powerful binoculars are easier to look through, for me anyway. I too wanted a telescope, got one, and hardly use it. Unless you have a computer tracker maybe.

I have a medium powered set of binoculars and I can see the moons of Jupiter, and I particularly like the sword (actually a nebulae) of Orion's belt,
all kinds of stuff.
Any recommendations on brand & optical power?

Any recommendations on brand & optical power?
No, I'm not a lens gear enthusiast. I have a pair of Minolta binoculars that I bought about 20 years ago. The markings on it say 12 x 50 and also 5.5 degrees whatever that means. It's good enough for my purposes but I can imagine a powerful pair would be even cooler.

A great pair of powerful binoculars are easier to look through, for me anyway. I too wanted a telescope, got one, and hardly used it. Unless you have a motorized computer tracker maybe. Otherwise, it's just constant adjusting it seemed.

all kinds of stuff. I live between Trenton NJ and Philadelphia PA so the sky around me is very light polluted. I envy those that have a great nightime sky. Binoculars are just easier and more pleasant. I'll sit in my hot tub and just binoc the sky.
I'm way too shaky for binoculars. Even just looking at birds and stuff. I need the tripod.

Instead of chasing the object, set your scope up so it's like 30 seconds ahead of the object. Then you can just watch it traverse the lens.

The pleiades look freaking awesome through a telescope. Just thousands of stars packed into one little section of space.

I love looking at the moon also. It's much more impressive magnified than through the human eye.

Good tips Brian. In my hot tub, when I sit in a corner, I can rest my elbows on the top part, but yea, I can see your point. Telescopes used to give me a neck ache. I have to be comfortable to enjoy it. If I could lie on my back and have the motorized computer guided telescope setup, that would be cool.

Where in the sky are the Pleiades? My sky sucks. I have only a "hole" that's viewable after the halo of light pollution. I bet you have one of those skies where you can see shooting stars really frequently.

Every August 12th, Earth passes through the tail of a comet long gone by and we get a meteor shower. That's coming up.

Good tips Brian. In my hot tub, when I sit in a corner, I can rest my elbows on the top part, but yea, I can see your point. Telescopes used to give me a neck ache. I have to be comfortable to enjoy it. If I could lie on my back and have the motorized computer guided telescope setup, that would be cool.

Where in the sky are the Pleiades? My sky sucks. I have only a "hole" that's viewable after the halo of light pollution. I bet you have one of those skies where you can see shooting stars really frequently.

Every August 12th, Earth passes through the tail of a comet long gone by and we get a meteor shower. That's coming up.

I can use a chair with my telescope. If I dont, eventually my back starts to hurt from being hunched over. A computer controlled scope would be great for sure.

The Pleiades are above what Orion is shooting at:
orion-aldebaran-betelgeuse-rigel-pleiades.jpg
Yes the night sky here is gorgeous. On a really good night we can see satellites and the international space station. Not clearly, just the moving reflected light. It's really faint, doesnt flicker, is moving really fast, and only goes straight.

Uncle Larry I got to watch the upcoming meteor shower at age 16, at a campground away from everything, laying in a field. Two of my cousins and I layed there for an hour and counted shooting stars. I dont remember the number, but it was in the hundreds. One of the coolest things I have ever seen.

I do have a good view of Orion. So I should be able to spot the Pleiades, it's higher up. The winter sky is more interesting than the summer sky IMO. It's also hot tub weather. Orion is not visible now for me. I'll be a-looking for the Pleiades near years end, thanks Brian.

Envious of your sky view.

Last edited:
Back