New Pedal at Sweetwater

When looking at direct drive pedals, I ran across this one at Sweetwater. Anyone know anything about it? Where it's made and by whom? I see it's convertible to direct drive. Was considering a Tour Series by Gibraltar because I don't want to spend too much on a Tama, Yamaha, or Pearl that I might not like while wading into the DD world. Any suggestions? Thank you all in advance for your comments.

I currently use Pearl's Eliminator Demon Drive (a DD pedal) and am considering switching to the much simpler Pearl Demonator (chain cam). The Eliminator Demon Drive has too many pointless adjustments for me. It's a good pedal, but it's overengineered, and I prefer a more streamlined design. I'm not blackballing DD pedals. I just wanted to offer my take on mine, since you mention Pearl above.

Offset has been around a while, early 2000s I think. They make a double similar to the Sleishman where the beaters are between the two pedals.

20200711_120627.jpg
Not sure how they feel. Surely someone has played one, or this center kick double.

When looking at direct drive pedals, I ran across this one at Sweetwater. Anyone know anything about it? Where it's made and by whom? I see it's convertible to direct drive. Was considering a Tour Series by Gibraltar because I don't want to spend too much on a Tama, Yamaha, or Pearl that I might not like while wading into the DD world. Any suggestions? Thank you all in advance for your comments.

With the ability to return stuff to Sweetwater, perhaps you should get one and check it out. Then let us all know what you thought about it? For the price it should be solid and able to deliver. If you don’t like it, you can return it. The Offset double pedal is intriguing (Sonor can do the same thing), but I’m not sure I want to play like Will Calhoun yet.

Offset has been around a while, early 2000s I think. They make a double similar to the Sleishman where the beaters are between the two pedals.

View attachment 94078
Not sure how they feel. Surely someone has played one, or this center kick double.
Yeah, I remember this company now. I remember the predecessor models from 2012 or so. I just watched the Sweetwater review by the now- legendary , Nick DiVirgilio. Well built, and priced pedal. . The only thing that would be an adjustment for me, no pun intended, would be a board that is so big like that. I think that is bigger than the Tama Dyna sync that I tried out last fall. But with Sweetwater I can return it and I can also buy one direct from Offset's website and return it after a trial run with it.
Thanks for your reply!

Last edited:
With the ability to return stuff to Sweetwater, perhaps you should get one and check it out. Then let us all know what you thought about it? For the price it should be solid and able to deliver. If you don’t like it, you can return it. The Offset double pedal is intriguing (Sonor can do the same thing), but I’m not sure I want to play like Will Calhoun yet.
Good points...just might try the single, or. SOLE, model. Only concern would be the larger than life footboard, to me anyway. Mostly use my Pearl Eliminator and occasionally, my Iron Cobra, or, Speed King. Thanks Bo!
I currently use Pearl's Eliminator Demon Drive (a DD pedal) and am considering switching to the much simpler Pearl Demonator (chain cam). The Eliminator Demon Drive has too many pointless adjustments for me. It's a good pedal, but it's overengineered, and I prefer a more streamlined design. I'm not blackballing DD pedals. I just wanted to offer my take on mine, since you mention Pearl above.
Yeah, I tried the Demon Drive DD in the late 2000's when they first hit. Didn't like them. Went with the Eliminator and I switch back and forth between the black and white cams from time to time. I convert to the strap drive with the white cam. Thanks for your comments.

Good points...just might try the single, or. SOLE, model. Only concern would be the larger than life footboard, to me anyway. Mostly use my Pearl Eliminator and occasionally, my Iron Cobra, or, Speed King. Thanks Bo!
Yeah, I tried the Demon Drive DD in the late 2000's when they first hit. Didn't like them. Went with the Eliminator and I switch back and forth between the black and white cams from time to time. I convert to the strap drive with the white cam.
I don think the footboard is huge. The DW9000 is wider than normal, and Yamaha seems to be going a bit wider nowadays too, so it might not be that bad.

For those of us who like two toms between our kick and hihat, this pedal requires removal of the tom stand, with the toms now mounted on a non-virgin bass drum. For those that like a tom on a snare stand, Good Luck!!

EDIT: Or would you mount the snare stand basket directly onto the bass drum?

For those of us who like two toms between our kick and hihat, this pedal requires removal of the tom stand, with the toms now mounted on a non-virgin bass drum. For those that like a tom on a snare stand, Good Luck!!

Thanks for your reply! I did find this video with regard to set up. Seems to me having room for floor tom legs might be more of a problem. I'm not really a double pedal player, so I'm only looking at the single pedal.

BTW, I noticed a video out there showing how to tighten up the heel plate hinge. Doesn't seem to have bearings/bushing on heel plate like higher end pedals, not a game breaker, though.

For what it's worth, a friend who has experience with the single Offset pedal told me it's a decent pedal and the company is hardcore.

I'm thinking a rack in this instance, or a stand on either side of the kick.

FWIW I have a symmetrical kit. I wouldnt be able to put my hats centered with the kick in the center. I would have to then buy an x-hat or a remote hat, then a stand and clamps or a rack. The kick being off center makes setting up my kit symmetrically pretty easy. The Offset would definitely complicate things.

I bought the first OffSet pedals. Charlie Fisher, I think, is the guy behind OffSet. Met him at a NAMM show. Later, I switched to the Sleishman double pedal. I'm sure OffSet is making a decent single pedal. Great price. I know they do a lot of "road testing" before they release a new pedal.

Attachments

• off-set.jpg
    off-set.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 14
Back