"Shake Your Body" groove

I mentioned that in post #2

But the 'e' of 2 also catches the open hihat before it closes. There _is_ a slightly different sound.

I verified I can switch between '.L.L.L' and '.L.LL.' with ease. One Moeller motion out of one bar is definitely doable.

My next step is to record against their drumless track and see if it grooves. Sometimes nothing sounds as good as brute force straight 8ths on the hihat.
Apologies, you're right. What's in the second post looks legit.

I'm curious though what Chad would think of my version of it, especially the open handed style lending to a more freer RH for the double-hit on the toms. Open-handed playing also lends to better fills when marking phrases. As soon as I can get my drums tuned and mixed right, I'll post a video - easier said than done.
My instinct would have been to play it open handed. Darned cool groove either way. I should have it down momentarily...NOT! lol!

My instinct would have been to play it open handed. Darned cool groove either way. I should have it down momentarily...NOT! lol!
I'm glad you liked the groove. I probably won't use the notation for the standard grooves out there, unless of course I think it deserves discussion.

The other thing about the open-handed version is, you can crash with your RH all the way on the right on beat 1, and still make the HiHat on the 'e' of 1 with your LH.

I'm curious though what Chad would think of my version of it, especially the open handed style lending to a more freer RH for the double-hit on the toms. Open-handed playing also lends to better fills when marking phrases. As soon as I can get my drums tuned and mixed right, I'll post a video - easier said than done.

Well, his interpretation has 4 tom notes, so it's less loyal to the original recording, which only has 2. But hey, he's got the gig, and his version sounds nice. His hands and arms are doing a lot of work to get those 2 additional tom notes.

rhumba. Could you play that just by listening to it?
I had to deconstruct from what I heard. And then there was the help from one of you here (sorry I'm lazy... see the "I've been given a song list" thread) who posted the Chad Wright video.

In any event, my listening was close. The first thing I heard was the tom hit on (2) 'a' and (3) 'a'. Then the kick on beats 1 and 3. Then the obvious snare on beats 2 and 4, leaves only a few options for the remaining rock beat on the hihat.

Start with the cleanest sound you hear. Assume the drummer you're listening to doesn't have more limbs than 2 hands and 2 feet - a safe assumption. Start populating the staff until you win by process of elimination. But don't forget, all recorded material you hear was over-dubbed to a certain degree. If it looks too good to be true, then it probably is.

Per the video posted here, I would be apt to play the song they way Chad does, not open handed. I just tried it the way he plays it, and it felt very comfortable to me. Nothing wrong with going open handed if you prefer it that way, however.

No disrespect to Chad, but his opinion of how you play it doesn't matter. It's your song now. Customize as desired.

A thread like this is what a drumming forum should be all about.

rhumba do you actually count those beats out? Or can you just hear and feel it?
It's more feel. The first test is - can you play the standard rock beat with your LH on the HiHat and adding the tom hits on (2) 'a' and (3) 'a'. Proceed from that point, adding one change at a time. Perhaps the next change is adding an open HiHiat on beat 2, closing on (2) '&'. Also try it closing on (2) 'e'. Once you can consistently get to beat 4, then start adding embellishment between beat 4 and beat 1 every four bars. Once you can do that, try expanding the embellishment from (3) '&'. What happens if you land your LH on a crash on beat 1 after the embellishment? Can you recover? Etc etc.

It's more feel. The first test is - can you play the standard rock beat with your LH on the HiHat and adding the tom hits on (2) 'a' and (3) 'a'. Proceed from that point, adding one change at a time. Perhaps the next change is adding an open HiHiat on beat 2, closing on (2) '&'. Also try it closing on (2) 'e'. Once you can consistently get to beat 4, then start adding embellishment between beat 4 and beat 1 every four bars. Once you can do that, try expanding the embellishment from (3) '&'. What happens if you land your LH on a crash on beat 1 after the embellishment? Can you recover? Etc etc.

rhumba thats my thing I guess all these numbers and a 1 and 2 eee. I don't hear that in my head. First I don't know any of what you just said. I have never taken a drum lesson in my life. I'm glad I didn't I just hear it I guess. I play the guitar the same way. I'm not playing solo in a dive bar nor am I Nicko Mcbrain or Adrian Smith.. So I got that goin for me. Appreciate you!!

Might as well start a dedicated thread for this groove. All discussion is in terms of a trad-grip, right-handed player, playing on a right-handed drumset.

So here's the open-handed version of Chad Wright's groove:
Code:
|1...2...3...4...|1...2...3...4...|1...2...3...4...|1...2...3...4...|
|R               |                |                |                | Crash
| L LL L L L   L |LL LL L L L   L |LL LL L L L   L |LL LL L L L     | HH
|           R    |           R    |           R    |           R    | TT
|    R       L   |    R       L   |    R       L   |    R       L RL| SD
|       R        |       R        |       R        |       R        | FT
|x       x       |x       x       |x       x       |x       x       | BD
| o+ o +         | o+ o +         | o+ o +         | o+ o +         | HHfoot
And here's the new incarnation, using the RH to help out the LH on the HiHat:
Code:
                ------- use RH on the HiHat here ---
               |  |             |  |             |  |
               v  v             v  v             v  v  
|1...2...3...4...|1...2...3...4...|1...2...3...4...|1...2...3...4...|
|R               |                |                |                | Crash
| L LL L L L   R |RL LL L L L   R |RL LL L L L   R |RL LL L L L     | HH
|           R    |           R    |           R    |           R    | TT
|    R       L   |    R       L   |    R       L   |    R       L RL| SD
|       R        |       R        |       R        |       R        | FT
|x       x       |x       x       |x       x       |x       x       | BD
| o+ o +         | o+ o +         | o+ o +         | o+ o +         | HHfoot
Hey, I've never seen this style of notation before! SO easy to understand ?

rhumba thats my thing I guess all these numbers and a 1 and 2 eee. I don't hear that in my head. First I don't know any of what you just said. I have never taken a drum lesson in my life. I'm glad I didn't I just hear it I guess. I play the guitar the same way. I'm not playing solo in a dive bar nor am I Nicko Mcbrain or Adrian Smith.. So I got that goin for me. Appreciate you!!
That's perfectly fine, Goose! The only time I ever count is when I'm transcribing, or when I'm trying to figure out the time signature in some crazy jazz tune.

Take me to bed or lose me forever!

Hey, I've never seen this style of notation before! SO easy to understand ?
It's the next best thing to having staff paper. A musician forum should have an interactive staff insert tool, where you add notes using a mouse click or better yet, a grid that responds to touches on a touchscreen. And why not a player to play it back? LOL Glad you like the notation.

Back