Which Paiste China?

AndreaMommer

Hey guys,

I find myself in need of a new China cymbal. I already own a 18" RUDE Chian which really cuts through everything. Altough what I play could be described as post-black metal, I would like my second China cymbal to have less volume and shorter sustain than the RUDE has. I really like the sound of the Meinl extra dry series, and I would like to find a similar cymbal in the Paiste series. My preference would go to a medium-loud, fast-fading China that I could really overuse without cutting through everything each time I hit it.

What do you guys use? The Novo China cymbals seem quite interesting, but maybe even too versatile? Would the Paiste Signature Thin China be a good match? What do you guys use?

I have a 20" 2002 Novo China and that thing is anything but subtle haha
The Rudes are even louder!
I think you need to look at a 16" like mentioned above. Or the RUDE 14" Blast China would be a great alternate to your RUDE china as well!

Perhaps even the 16" 2002 China Type?

Smaller diameter = shorter sustain.
Smaller diameter = higher pitch.

I have a 16” Sound Formula china (discontinued) and a 22” 602 ME china. The 602 ME is very loud and has a long sustain compared to the 16” SF. And the pitch of the 602 ME is lower than the 16” SF.

You may want to consider a PST-X crash. They have a sharp, trashy attack with a very fast decay. The larger ones are very loud.

Thanks for the ideas! Problem is: I would like a BIG China with a fast decay hahaha. Don't know if there such a thing as this China!

Thanks for the ideas! Problem is: I would like a BIG China with a fast decay hahaha. Don't know if there such a thing as this China!

Zildjian Oriental China Trash have a quick decay. I have the 16", but the 18" and 20" get out the way just as quick.
Sabian AA Holy China is a good contender too

I have a 20" Signature Thin and that would also qualify as fast (for a 20" at least). That's up for sale in Germany as well ;)

Hey guys,

I find myself in need of a new China cymbal. I already own a 18" RUDE Chian which really cuts through everything. Altough what I play could be described as post-black metal,
Is there a difference between post-black metal and post-white metal? Or for that matter any other form of metal, like near death experience metal? Elephant stampede metal? Hypersensitive metal? Nursing home metal? Mini-skirt metal? Tug boat metal? Here in Arizona, High heat metal is prevalent. Since there are so many genres of metal out there I guess my question is just what sound do you need for post-black metal? Also, are you using it as a ride? For occasional effect? Sorry. I guess I'm just not in the loop. When I get together with the guys we play isolation metal which is quickly becoming quite popular here in north Scottsdale, and all China cymbals fit the bill just fine.

I mainly use a 20" RUDE Novo, but will sometimes in addition I will use an 18" Alpha (cracked), a 14" Wuhan, and a 12" Wuhan. Novo's have a TON of sustain but imo make a great secondary china because they are different sounding.
Id check out the 2002 Wild chinas. Loud but has VERY little sustain. The regular 2002 chinas are also some of my favorite chinas ever, and are a little less obnoxious than RUDEs.

Is there a difference between post-black metal and post-white metal? Or for that matter any other form of metal, like near death experience metal? Elephant stampede metal? Hypersensitive metal? Nursing home metal? Mini-skirt metal? Tug boat metal? Here in Arizona, High heat metal is prevalent. Since there are so many genres of metal out there I guess my question is just what sound do you need for post-black metal? Also, are you using it as a ride? For occasional effect? Sorry. I guess I'm just not in the loop. When I get together with the guys we play isolation metal which is quickly becoming quite popular here in north Scottsdale, and all China cymbals fit the bill just fine.

Post-black consists of slow-and-trve blast-beasts during which my RUDE China is too loud for the finesse of all guitar melodies, although it fits just fine when it comes to louder parts where rythm and noise overtake (that's your « post » thing). I use a 22" reflector crash as a ride, but mainly use the bell, hence the fact I was interested about Novo Chinas.

If your Rude China is too loud, you're playing it too loud. Back off.

I really like the 2002 20" China. It's very sensitive and controllable. Whisper to a scream, but you gotta be able to control your touch.

Back