Jazz bass drum pedal

Response, precision, and speed are more influenced by technique than they are by pedals. Some drummers tend to believe that a pedal is a machine that should do the work for them. That's laughable. A pedal is a tool, just like a drumstick. Unless it's broken, a tool gives you what you put into it.

Being a mechanical device, a pedal is also very unlike a drumstick. While they don't do the work for you, they are designed to do two things; assist in stopping the beater form moving backwards, and assist in returning the beater forward. And they don't all perform this equally well.

The better your footwork technique is, the more a well designed pedal will in fact take the load off of the drummer. This isn't doing the work for you but it is doing the extra work that you should be doing in the first place. Obviously the pedal only reacts to your input. But by design it performs a function when given that input.

I don't think it matters what brand or model the pedal is, as long as it performs well, i.e. responsive, smooth, quiet, etc. Whatever quality pedal feels best to you is the right one.

Last edited:
Being a mechanical device, a pedal is also very unlike a drumstick. While they don't do the work for you, they are designed to do two things; assist in stopping the beater form moving backwards, and assist in returning the beater forward. And they don't all perform this equally well.

The better your footwork technique is, the more a well designed pedal will in fact take the load off of the drummer. This isn't doing the work for you but it is doing the extra work that you should be doing in the first place. Obviously the pedal only reacts to your input. But by design it performs a function when given that input.

I don't think it matters what brand or model the pedal is, as long as it performs well, i.e. responsive, smooth, quiet, etc. Whatever quality pedal feels best to you is the right one.

Well, sure. A pedal has mechanical components and settings, whereas a drumstick is a static implement, but you see my point, of course. No pedal is a panacea for deficiencies in technique. If your skills aren't present, no pedal will summon them, though I agree that a fully functioning pedal will respond better than a defective one. If something's broken, various problems will ensure.

I am very lazy, I practiced the drums tonight but without adjusting the pedal first, even the heads are off. But It was a fun session, I can't believe I left that kit in boxes for something like 5 or 6 straight years..

Practice time wasted.

Ok I did some adjustments on the spring, it was at the lowest tension possible. At the default position there was not even any tension on that spring. I turned the thumbscrew, couple of turns, the screw moved out of about 1/8", now it has some tension, I can feel it and it's faster too.

I will try it a bit to see if it's enough or if I need to add even more.. not sure at this point. What do you think ?

For the angle of the batter, I think it's OK with the factory setting.

6izqMnm.jpg

Looks good to me. I like the angle of the foot board too. I would have to actually see the beater sway to opine on the spring tension.

Looks good to me. I like the angle of the foot board too. I would have to actually see the beater sway to opine on the spring tension.

Ok I will record a video to show it to you.

I also have a packet of fabric inside of the bass drum, I need to check that it's not touching any of the skins, I suspect that it's touching the batter head, like it was suggested previously.

Thanks

I worked on my "3 notes independence" practice sheet and I can attest that the problem was exactly the spring tension..

I consider it problem solved now.. raising the throne helped a lot too.

Back